Chapter Twelve: Brewing

Elzora Academy

 

 

*Alright let’s read the instructions again.*

*Holy crap that was a handful. Wow there’s so much to do, well I’d better get started now.*  Shishi thought as she looked around the class. Her fellow classmates had already started crushing the Catalax Horns. *1,2,3,4,5.* She counted in her mind as she added the orange pointed horns into the mortar, crushing it till it became a fine powder. She transferred the fine powder to the mixing bowl. She tapped the metal tea spoon on the side of the ceramic white bowl making sure no powder remained on the spoon. She then pulled out the cork to open a bottle with the label “LUKTOSE POWDER”. The powder was electric green, she added two teaspoons to the mixing bowl following what was written in the instructions. A puff of green smoke rose up making Shishi take a step back and waved her right hand in the air as she coughed. She shook her head and quickly went back to potion making.

 

 *Now to slice this Lachrymal thing,* she thought as she held a black flower up. *It looked like an ordinary rose, only it was black so why name it Lachrymal? Why not just call it a black rose?* She pondered as she took a pocket knife off the countertop and began slicing the Black Lachrymal’s stem. *The hell, I can’t even cut with this! What? The professors actually think we are going to hurt ourselves if we handled with knives?* Shishi snorted. At that time someone shrieked right next to Shishi’s right ear. Shishi looked to the right to see what had happened, “OMG Ashlee!! Professor!!! Professor!!!” Krystal was freaking out. “Quiet…” Professor Hooks appeared out of nowhere with his cloak swishing behind him as he walked over to Krystal’s and Ashlee’s table. *Ahh so that girl’s name is Ashley.* Shishi thought as she stared at the girl which was whimpering at her small cut with a worried and scared expression on her face. She had cut herself – yes, with a pocket knife. Shishi recognized Ashlee, she was the other girl that scared the Woolwines on their first lesson of Care Of Magical Beasts (COMB) –Hell yeah COMB XD- Shishi didn’t really understand why Ashlee and Krystal were making such a big fuss over a tiny cut. She sighed and carried on with her potions.

 

“Gaahh Shishi!! Help me!” Ashlee dramatically leaned closer to Shishi as if she was about to faint while Krystal fanned her with Ashlee with both her hands. “Uhh… With what Ashley? And isn’t Krystal right beside you?” “It’s Ashlee.” “Yeah that’s what I said, Ashley.” “No you’re getting it wrong, it’s Ash-LEEEEE” Ashlee emphasized on the Lee part of her name. “Alright, Ashleeeee.” Shishi turned to her left where Yongguk was and raised her eyebrows. Yongguk just shook his head and smiled. Shishi continued her potions making, *Where was I? Oh right the slicing of the stem.* Shishi repositioned the stem on the countertop and tried to slice it again. She sliced nearly all the way through the stem but then silver sap started seeping out of the stem. *Crap crap crap it’s going to stain the table!* She quickly held it over the mixing bowl and tore off the last bit of stem using her hands, the flower instantly wilted in her hands. *I’m so sorry flower.* Shishi sighed as she twirled the still intact flower.

 

 

 When the silver sap touched the mixture in the mixing bowl, it sizzled before dissipating into the mixture. In a split second after it had dissipated, the entire mixture turned black. Shishi’s eyes grew wide in horror, *Was this supposed to happen? Oh crap did I brew it wrongly? Crap I’m not going to be able to sleep for a month now.* “By now you should boiling your mixture.” Professor Hook said in his usual cold voice. *Oh my, I’d better quicken my pace then.* Shishi mixed the ingredients hastily and added the now completely black mixture to the cauldron. *Stir stir, 1,2,3,4,5* After stirring, Shishi tapped the ladle on the side of the cauldron and sat down next to the cauldron. Minutes crept by as Shishi waited, when she was younger she had always believed that time went pass at a slower pace whenever she needed to wait for something. At last the dreadful five minutes was over, she plopped off her stool and stared into the cauldron. *What was the point of waiting for five minutes? It looks exactly the same as before, a black mixture. Only thing is that it is now bubbling!* Shishi thought as she threw in three Tittle Buds. They were white buds, they looked so delicate and brittle that they may fall apart just by her touch. When the buds touched the surface of the potion, it burst all the bubbles on the surface and made ripples. The petals scattered around the surface before it disappeared beneath. After the petals sank, Shishi saw white light being emitted from within the black mixture. It began to turn sky blue, it was rapidly thickening as it bubbled and nearly spilling out of the cauldron. Shishi was then startled by this but she wasn’t the only one, other first years around the classroom were also experiencing this Shishi smiled at her now sky blue and bubbly potion.

 

“I supposed all of you are almost done so-“ Professor Hooks was interrupted by the sound of glass being broken.

Keke had broken the bottle that contained Luktose powder. “Returio.” Professor Hooks waved his wand and instantly the broken glass bottle was putting itself piece by piece, back to its original shape before it was broken as if the whole situation was on rewind mode. The bottle was placed safely on the table top. “This better not happen again. And clean up your area Miss Keke!” He glared and Keke and continued “Right, now use the pumps to fill two test tubes up. Bring one of them to the front once you’re done.” Professor Hooks held up an apparatus that looked like a red ball with three pipes. It looked so ordinary something that could easily passed as “Normal” in the realm of Norms. Professor Hooks then demonstrated by pressing on one of the letters on the pipes and easily pressed the red ball down, compressing and squeezing all the air out of it. He then pressed a different letter on another pipe making air enter the pump and it returned back to original round shape.  “Easy?” Without waiting for a response, Professor Hooks clapped his hands implying that he was finished with his little demonstration.

After the demonstration, Shishi then looked over to Keke’s area, it was in a mess. The bottles were all opened, contents sprawled over the table and some of the potion had splashed onto the countertop. She stared at the back of Keke, Keke’s head was bent low as she took a cloth and wiped the spilled potion off the countertop. Shishi craned her neck to see how Keke’s potion had brewed. *Ooo that’s not pretty.* Shishi gritted her teeth, it was a strange shade of green like way too much Luktose powder had been added to the mixing bowl. *Crap, we’ve still got to drink this potion. What if Professor Hooks was saying the truth, about not being able to sleep for a month?* Shishi started to get worried as she bit her lip. It seemed like nothing was going right for Keke, Shishi sighed she wished that she could help her. But how? There wasn’t any theory or practical that needed coaching or practicing. After all, it had only been two days of lessons. All Shishi could do was to just watch her from a distance. For now that is. *Oh right! I’m supposed to get two portions of my potion :O* Shishi suddenly realized and quickly dipped the pipe which was the longest out of all, into the potion just until the red ball still could be seen. She then pressed the letter “A” which was the only letter that was above the potion; the other two were already submerged under the potion. The red ball started to compress, after it could no longer compress any further Shishi stopped pressing on the A.

 

Slowly solid sky blue balls started flying out from the opening of the pipe they hovered just above the cauldron.

Shishi took out the apparatus from the potion and laid it on the table. Shishi took one of her test tubes and approached the floating blue balls. She carefully made them enter her test tube. When the balls touched close to the middle of the test tube, they burst and became liquid once again. It took about two balls to fill a test tube and Shishi quickly completed her task. She was one of the last few that brought her potion forward she knew because the rest of the first years were already at the side of the room with their other test tube in their hands. She took her other test tube and joined the others. “Now that everyone has handed up their potions I would like each of you to try your own product. Starting from the left.” Professor Hooks gestured to a first year on the far left. The student drank it in one shot, a frown appeared on his face at first but it soon disappeared and replaced by a wide smile. He jumped around the room and screamed, exactly like a kid on sugar rush. Professor Hooks placed a tick next to the boy’s name implying that his potion was a success and that he would be perky for the rest of the day. The testing then carried on with many succeeding. Professor Hooks nodded with a straight face, all of them had succeeded except for one student. Yeap you guessed it, Keke.

 

 Poor Keke had to gulp down her potion in one shot, Professor Hooks even handed her a bucket  for her to throw up. Shishi guessed that if the potion was brewed wrongly it must have taste horrible but Keke didn’t budge. The entire class was watching her, waiting for her to just do, something. But she didn’t she just stood there with a straight face. “You’re pretty tough eh? Considering you didn’t throw up from that disgusting taste. I like that.” Professor Hooks nodded as he pursed his lips. “For that I will give you a pass as well. But you’re probably not going to sleep tonight, stay behind after class I would need to talk to you.” “Yes Professor.” Keke replied finally talking.  “Class dismissed.” Professor Hooks shooed the students out of the classroom as they walked out all smiling widely as they felt wide awake. 

“I feel so alive, and awake!” Yongguk threw a few punches in the air. “Do we wait for her?” Jongup asked as the group stayed outside the potions classroom. “Professor Hooks is sick I tell you. Sick.” Shishi spat, “Why the hell would anyone do something like that?” Shishi continued. “But why would Professor Hooks make her drink the potion if he knew that it was brewed wrongly?” Daehyun questioned. “Because he dislikes students and he’s sick. That’s why!” Shishi snapped.  “If he really disliked us then why would he want to have more one to one time with a student? And please enough with the he’s sick thing.” Yongguk chuckled as he ruffled Shishi’s hair. “Come on guys, no point pondering over nothing. Maybe he is sick but who cares? Let’s not think too much on that, now what about the grouping for the Traveler’s Hoots?” Tats said as she hit her hand against her leg in a rhythmic way. “Just to remind you guys, we have to work with our partners. So I’ve got to work with Kris.” “I’m with Krystal.” “I’m with Youngjae.” “I’m with Yongguk.” “Keke and I are together.” Jongup innocently said. The group then turned to him with surprised expressions “I meant as in partners! Geez guys.” Jongup quickly denied as he looked to the floor. The whole group erupted in laughter.

 

 “So we’re just going to wait here for her then I guess?” Himchan pointed out, “Yup.” They agreed and nodded. “When she gets back we will discuss the groups it’s impossible to have ten in a group.” Daehyun said thinking of a way to go about this problem. They then heard noises from the potions classroom as Keke quietly came out of the room. “You alright Keke?” Daehyun asked with concern. “I’m fine. Really.” Keke shook her hands in front of her smiling at them but everyone could see that behind her smile was a pair of watery eyes.

 


Hehe :) So many pictures in this chapter aren't they beautiful? :D!! Did everyone enjoy potions? I realised that a black or green rose was in Rain sound music video xD What a coincidence. Yeah I will be calling Care Of Magicial Beasts (COMB) now cause it's way too long kekeke ;) Here's just some pictures that i just wanted to put in the extras bar xD Ooo and one more thing guys, the words that you see in these bars - - Are just me being an extra in the story XD. Lastly thanks for all the support :3!!