Chapter Six: Woolwines

Elzora Academy

 

E Acad’s schedule was not the least complicated. There will be two lessons, break time and lastly two other lessons before the students were free from lessons. Right now was break time where students have an hour till their next lesson starts.  During the day, students of different genders were allowed to visit each other’s dormitories. So, Shishi and Yongguk spent their break time in Shishi’s room talking about the usual random and nonsensical things. Soon, an hour was up. Shishi checked the winged key to see what class they had next.

 Shishi: :O… It’s Care Of Magical Beasts!!

Yongguk: Yeah!! Finally outdoor activities!

Shishi and Yongguk sprinted outside of the castle.

Yongguk: Uhh… We’re kinda early and we have no idea how to get there ._.

Yongguk felt something in his pocket tugging him, trying to escape from within. Yongguk reached into his pocket and took out his winged key. His winged key instantly flew in the air and went full speed towards the forest. They then ran after it. Near the forest, the winged key just hovered in the air. Its wings flapping vigorously. Shishi and Yongguk soon caught up with it. They then heard constant barking. Shishi looked down and saw a little dog in front of a tree.

Shishi: Aaawww... It’s so cute… Oh my god!!

Yongguk smiled at this, it was another chance to see Shishi in her innocent side. Shishi bent down to the puppy’s level and pet its head. The puppy squinted its eyes and gave a little grin. The sounds of boots dropping to the ground could suddenly be heard. Shishi looked up. A petite woman jumped off the tree and landed beside Shishi. She had long orange curly hair, a tattered hat with a blue feather attached to it. She had a quiver filled with regular arrows and she was carrying an oak bow with little carvings on it. She smiled at Shishi and Yongguk. “You’re here early huh. I see that you met Scourge.” “We were kinda excited since this class is outdoors,” Yongguk said. “Aaahhh stuffy right? In the classrooms and everything.” The woman replied.

Yongguk and Shishi felt that the way she communicated with them was like all of them knew each other forever. There wasn’t any barrier among them, there wasn’t a need to talk formally,  just be comfortable and natural. “Hell yeah, I know the feeling,” the woman laughed and continued on “Well anyways since you guys are already here. Let me introduce myself. I’m Professor Tarian.” She laughed at the word Professor. “Call me Tarian please. I still can’t believe that I’m a professor. Me. A professor!! XD” “Have you guys met Jeshire?” Shishi nodded now rubbing the back of Scourge’s ears. “Did she tell you to call her Professor Jeshire?” This time Yongguk nodded and Tarian burst out into laughter. “Ahh Jeshire. Always a joker that one, never changed since we met during Year 1.” “Woah!! You knew Professor Jeshire since Year 1?” Yongguk exclaimed. “Hey!! What’s that supposed to mean!  I’m young kay!!” She flipped her hair in the air as she said this and all of them bursting out into laughter after that. Scourge started barking constantly yet again. “Ahh. The rest are here. Kay. Time to act all professional and stuff. I’ll go back up to the tree and drop back down on the floor coolly just as I did for you guys. Pretend you didn’t see me kay guys.” Shishi and Yongguk nodded at this strange request and tried not to laugh.

The students soon gathered around Yongguk and Shishi. “Where is this Professor?” One of the students impatiently asked. Then Professor Tarian jumped off the tree and landed silently behind the group of the first years, one of her knees on the floor while her hand placed on the other, looking down. The students gasped in shock. Professor Tarian slowly looked up, her gaze changed; it wasn’t the friendly and comfortable gaze she gave to Shishi and Yongguk. Her hat was pulled down, covering one of her eye. “Tsk. Tsk. Tsk,” She stood up “Why are you guys late? I made sure at least one of guys’ winged key would lead you. Yet, late?” The students remained silent. She began walking into the forest with Scourge trotting beside her heels with Yongguk and Shishi by her side. When they had some distance between them and the rest of the students, Professor Tarian spoke up “I did well huh?” She chuckled. Yongguk and Shishi nodded. “I was actually afraid and thought you became another person or something” Yongguk replied. “Hey guys, come on! You don’t want to get left behind.” Shishi shouted over her shoulder to rest of the first years.

After a bit of walking in the forest, Professor Tarian stopped in her tracks. She turned to look at the class. She then drew an arrow from her quiver. She shot the arrow. “Gaahh!!” A boy exclaimed as the arrow landed on a tree’s bark. It landed just slightly above the boy’s head. It was the same boy that was rambling to his friend in potions class, YoungJae. “Be careful with what you say boy. My ears are rather sensitive. Especially to comments about me.” She glared at YoungJae. “Right. We have arrived at our destination for today’s little excursion” She turned her back to the students. The two girls beside YoungJae rolled their eyes at Professor Tarian. Professor Tarian pointed to a little cave that had blue glowing vines draping over the opening of the cave. “I want all of you to be extremely quiet. Because these creatures are easily frightened by the littlest of things. Aight? Let’s go.” Professor Tarian carefully approached the cave and drew the blue flowing vines to the side. Allowing the students to have a look what this cave held.

 “EEEWWW!!! What are they?!” The same girls that rolled their eyes at Professor Tarian exclaimed. The cave that once held tons of cloud like creatures with a variety of pink, black, white and blue tiny bodies at ground level of the cave, now all puffed up in surprise, their cloud like head floating up to the top of the cave, their bodies could no longer be seen as their heads surrounded their entire bodies. They looked like miniature clouds with eyes. “Tsk. I told you. To be quiet…” Professor Tarian looked irritated as she stared at the girls. She sighed. “Scourge, you know what to do.” “Eeww!! Do not make that thing go near me.” One of the girls said with a disgusted face. “The last thing this pup would want to do is to go near you.” Professor Tarian replied. The little puppy ran into the cave with its stubby legs trying its best to support its body. It was such an adorable sight. The puppy then laid down on the ground with its tummy facing the sky, it rolled around while whimpering. Slowly one of the black colored cloud like things floated down gracefully. Its cloud head reducing in size as it let its guard down. Its body slowly could be seen and it landed on the ground next to Scourge. Scourge then sat up and gave it a small smile and nuzzled its head. It looked like they were communicating. Scourge then ran back to Professor Tarian. Professor Tarian then spoke up, “These are called, Woolwines. Go ahead, you guys can approach it now. It says its fine with it. Shishi? Would you like to try?”

 Shishi nodded and slowly entered the cave. Many pairs of eyes watched her, not only the rest of the first years and Professor Tarian but also at the top of the cave, the Woolwines were watching her. Shishi extended her hand. The black Woolwine closed its eyes and looked down. It was slightly afraid of Shishi. Something in Shishi told her to just let her guard down. She slowly lowered her hair and smiled at it. The Woolwine opened its eyes and looked into Shishi’s. It then jumped towards Shishi. Shishi didn’t move away to evade it, she just stood there. The Woolwine nuzzled Shishi’s neck and squinted its eyes in delight. It was like the softest thing Shishi has ever felt in her life! It was so soft that it felt like what real clouds would feel like. Shishi laughed at this and the Woolwine placed itself on Shishi’s head. Shishi turned around to face the rest of the first years and Professor Tarian. Professor Tarian grinned from ear to ear giving Shishi a thumbs up, Yongguk looked extremely proud and smiled at her. The rest of the students just stared at blankly at Shishi, trying to comprehend what had just happened.  Professor Tarian then motioned the rest of the class to enter the cave. The cave was spacious and could hold all of them, it also had logs on the side of the cave which the students sat on. Shishi and Professor Tarian stood in the center of the cave. “Never. Be afraid of creatures. You are bigger than them and they are way more afraid of you than you are of them. Thank you Shishi for that wonderful display of affection for the Woolwines. I knew you could do well, take a seat.” Shishi sat down still with the Woolwine on her head. Professor Tarian then continued with the lesson talking more about what they will be learning throughout the course of this year. Time quickly sped by and it was time for them to leave the forest and get ready for their next lesson. The Woolwine on Shishi’s head softly jumped off her head and landed on the floor in front of Shishi and bowed to her, smiling. Shishi waved to it and said “Hope we can meet again!” leaving the cave together with everyone. Shishi and Yongguk walked beside Professor Tarian as they led the rest of the first years out of the forest. Professor Tarian then asked “So what lesson do you have next?”