Chapter Nineteen: The Wingman

Elzora Academy

 

Mid years were approaching, students cooped up in the library trying to squeeze all the information from books in the library as well as stuff learnt in class. Around the school, Daehyun and Tats were getting more well known, they found it extremely peculiar with students even coming up to them wanting to take pictures with them. They simply just didn’t understand why. Keke was known for causing lots of accidents as well as breaking apparatus, Youngjae acquainted himself with the rest of Project Failure hang out with them even after Mechanics class, which was also going well. They were finished with constructing the body of the key and were left with building in the wings. Surprisingly with the need to work with partners than the group itself, Jongup and Keke got really close. He understood her more and his awkwardness started to disappear when he was around her, opening up to her.

Himchan and Tats were extremely close with their constant visits to the café and their constant rambles about the café’s coffee and many other things. Himchan sadly was still stuck in the friend zone. Daehyun also frequently visited the café either alone or with Youngjae, inhaling countless amounts of cheesecakes. Krystal realized how much Youngjae was hanging out with Daehyun that she considered him as a love rival and was extremely jealous of Youngjae. Yongguk and Shishi remained the same with their leader auras and their parental ways being the mother and father figure to Project Failure.

For mid years, marks for Mechanics class was based on how well they’ve build their Traveler’s Hoot. Studying for potions would honestly be a pain, with Professor Hooks not telling the first years what ingredients would they be using for the exams, they were going to be ask to brew their own creation with the given ingredients. Charms lesson for them was going well, by using the two spells they’ve learnt; Hexa and Solidify, they would be asked to extinguish two ordinary candles. One by simply using hexa to blow the flame out and the other is by using solidify. Just as the water touches and surrounds the flame, they would have to solidify it making the ice engulf the flame. About Professor Quet and the illumination incident, it still remained a mystery whether he had honestly forgotten about it or he just used that spell to have a good laugh. 

Mid years for Care Of Magical Beasts (COMB) was a little different. This exam however started earlier, groups of eight were to help out Jaehyo and the rest of the staff in Elnaf. They were to brew countless of tonics and antidotes for both the sick and injured animals and students. Jaehyo would be grading the students depending on how much they’ve help and ask the students and animals in Elnaf to be the judges. Biology however, had gone downhill ever since there were no plants to observe and do tasks with. Most first years dreaded nearly every biology lesson, with them learning about how to plant and care for plants the Norms way and not actually planting them. Professor Prix promised the students that there would be more handling of plants than theory work after the mid years as the end of years was a practical and not a theory exam. With most the first years fast asleep, Tats and Jongup were surprisingly able to keep up with the lesson they somehow enjoyed biology. Learning about plant with what they do, this certainly was their little advantage they had more knowledge about ingredients and their uses, raising their chances of brewing a good creation in the potions exams.

On one of the days at the café, Daehyun sat at his usual table eating cheesecakes, coincidentally, Himchan walked in the café. He joined Daehyun and he stopped eating and stared blankly at Himchan, “What brings you here?” Daehyun asked. “I’m waiting for Tats.” Himchan replied. There was a long awkward silence that lasted for close to thirty seconds, the sound of Daehyun’s fork screeching across the surface of the plate made Himchan’s hair stand. “Hmm, you like Tats don’t you?” Daehyun abruptly asked, breaking the silence. *Ooh , he’s probably going to ask me to back off his girl.* Himchan gritted his teeth at the thought. “What? Where did you get that from?” He hastily denied, avoiding Daehyun’s eyes. “I could help you if you’d like, you seem nice.” Daehyun smiled, placing his fork down.

*Omg should I back off wait… Did he just offer me help to get out of the friend zone I’m in right now with the goddess?* “Did you just offer me your help?” Himchan eyed him suspiciously. “Hell yeah, what are bros for? I’ve been wanting to try something new, so why not try being a wingman.” “So… I’m your little guinea pig right now?” “Ahh I see that you’ve already accepted the offer. And yes, yes you are.” “I so did not.” He squealed. *Oh yeah Himchan way to go, first you sound desperate by being so quick in accepting his offer and now you’re acting like a little kid denying something I clearly did. Seriously Himchan?* He chided himself.

“From what I see, you’re not really getting anywhere. Honestly, Tats talks about you a lot!” Himchan’s eyes brightened up when he heard this. “But she talks about you as a friend. Oh Himchan is so caring, I’m so glad he’s my best FRIEND.” Daehyun did an accurate imitation of Tats. “B.A.P KIM HIM CHAN!” He continues imitating Tats, “Pretty good eh?” Daehyun laughs to himself while Himchan nods “What’s B.A.P?” “I don’t know, I kinda am thinking of rice right now so it just came out naturally I guess.” Daehyun said staring at his cheesecake. “Do you really wanna take a trip down the friend zone with a person like Tats and see her one day with another man that isn’t you?” He continued. “I-“ Before Himchan could reply, Daehyun cut him off, “Eh if you don’t want my help it’s fine I guess.” Daehyun stood up and turned his heel, about to walk away. In the span of a few seconds, Daehyun’s words rang on repeated in Himchan’s mind “Friend zone, friends, friend zone.* “Alright fine, fine.” Himchan quickly gave in just as the bell at the café’s door jingled. “Mmm call me if you need help.” He simply said and left. *Why did everything feel so planned? Did he just want me to call him? Is he gay or something?* Himchan sat there thinking at the table as the plates of cheesecakes were being cleared.

While climbing down the stairs, Daehyun was on the phone. “Tats uhh, oppa did it, I became a wingman.”