Loyalty

Hopeless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It probably took less than a second for Yunho to know that there was something wrong with Changmin.

It only took another second for Yunho to know exactly what that "something" was.

Changmin's body was trembling slightly, his face had paled a little bit. Yunho knew that the maknae's behavior wasn't only caused by the fact that he wasn't expecting anyone to be awake and in the kitchen.

"Hy-Hyung," Changmin stuttered, freezing at the entrance to the kitchen.

Yunho smiled in response, hoping to calm the younger one's nerves. "Hey Changmin," he greeted from his seat at the dining table.

"I...I didn't think anyone would be awake," Changmin confessed.

Yunho brought up his finger to signal Changmin to come to him. Changmin hesitated for a moment, choosing to stay near the entrance. But after a while, he bit his lip and walked up to the table, taking a seat next to Yunho.

"Apparently I wasn't as sleepy as I thought," Yunho confessed, answering one question he already knew was on Changmin's mind. "You had a bad dream?" he asked, even though he already knew the answer.

Changmin looked down to his lap. "It's stupid right?" he asked in reply. He shook his head, his eyes still glued to his lap. "Jinsuk is gone. I shouldn't be even-"

"Hey," Yunho said to cut him off. "There's nothing wrong with still having these nightmares. You've survived the worst two years of your life. Having bad dreams is normal."

"But he's gone," Changmin said. "Jinsuk is gone and I know that I'm finally free from him."

Yunho sighed. He understood Changmin's predicament, but it still hurt himself seeing Changmin so hard on himself over something that he clearly couldn't control. "I still get scared accepting drinks from other people," Yunho said suddenly. "That was such a long time ago and I know it only happened once, but I'm always afraid that someone else is trying to poison me."

Changmin finally looked up from his lap and stared at Yunho, his eyes slightly wide in surprise. He didn't doubt Yunho's statement one bit. Being poisoned by a crazed anti-fan at such a young age could scar anyone.

No. What surprised Changmin was hearing Yunho actually admit it.

"And Kyuhyun," Yunho continued. "He still has bad dreams about the car accident he was in. Did you know that?"

Changmin nodded.

Kyuhyun had admitted that fact to Changmin several times, even before Changmin's kidnapping. 

"Kyuhyun and I bonded a lot while you were gone," Yunho confessed. "We understood each other's pain more than our other friends." Yunho paused as he thought about his bittersweet memories with Kyuhyun. "He told me about how he still woke up from nightmares about the accident. Then he would stop and think about you. And he was so worried and afraid that when you came back your nightmares would be several times worse than anything he'd ever had." Yunho sighed. "He wasn't wrong about that one."

"You and Kyuhyun almost died," Changmin muttered, looking down at his lap again.

"So did you," Yunho reminded him. "Several times, actually."

Changmin sighed. "Some of my dreams aren't even of things that actually happened," he confessed. "It's like my brain is making up these scenarios to torture me."

"Kyuhyun has had dreams of the car accident where Jungsu, Hyukjae, or Shindong died," Yunho said. "Sometimes all three at the same time. Did you know that?"

Changmin nodded. 

"Sometimes our dreams don't involve flashbacks," Yunho continued. "Instead, it shows us every terrible thing that could have happened."

"Why?" Changmin asked.

Yunho shook his head. "I don't know," he replied. "But I do know that there's nothing wrong with you for having these nightmares," Yunho said. "I wish it wasn't true, but these nightmares...these flashbacks, they may stay with you for a while. It's completely normal to feel scared."

Changmin played with his fingers before looking back at Yunho. "I went to my appointment with Dr. Cha this week," he said. 

Yunho knew that much. Changmin promised that he would continue going, even while he was with his parents. Yunho trusted Changmin's promise.

"He said that even though medicine will help me somewhat, in the end, the strongest thing that I need is my will," Changmin said. "He said I need to have the will to get better. He said that I have to truly want to be the person I used to be before all of this happened."

Yunho nodded. "And do you believe him?" he asked.

Changmin looked to Yunho. He paused a bit before nodding.

Yunho smiled. "That's good," he replied. "Motivation is very important to getting better."

"If anything I wish Jinsuk never happened," Changmin said. "I'd give almost anything to go back in time and do something to stop Jinsuk from shooting you and taking me."

"But you can't," Yunho said, pointing out the obvious.

Changmin nodded. "I know," he replied. "And knowing that fact, I'd also give anything for me to return to the way I used to be."

Yunho smiled. 

Changmin started rubbing at his eyes. 

"Getting sleepy?" Yunho asked.

Changmin shook his head. 

Yunho smiled. "Yes you are," he said as he stood up, Changmin looking at him in confusion. "Let me get you something to drink." He made his way to the fridge, opening it and pulling out a small milk carton. "Drink this," Yunho commanded the maknae placing it on the table. 

"Thanks," Changmin said softly as he opened his cart

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter