Learning new things*

100 DAYS

Jaejoong stood there frozen on the spot. He forced a smile but he knows it turned out weird so he looked down and turned around. He mentally slapped himself when an unpleasant feeling crept its way into him.

Yunho moved quickly when he saw Jaejoong walking away.

As soon as Jaejoong felt Yunho’s following him, he took a deep breath and quickened his pace. Even though he thought that he’s walking fast, Yunho catch up to him in no time and grabbed his arm.

“Hey,” said Yunho breathlessly.

“Hey,” said Jaejoong without looking up to him. An awkward silence settled between them and Jaejoong broke it with, “I’ve got to go. I still need to pick up something in the staff room.”

When Yunho didn’t let go of him, he finally looked up and met a pair of almond shaped eyes. Yunho just stared at him and they stayed like that for at least two minutes.

“Uhm, Yunho,” Jaejoong said, “my arm.”

“Oh… Yeah … Uhm about that – earlier … what you saw back there … it was nothing … I mean…” Yunho let out a shaky breath, “I – she was the one who came up to me.”

Jaejoong doesn’t know whether to laugh or be mad. But yes, he was at lost for words. Seeing Yunho like this – explaining what had happened even though he doesn’t have to – “Why are you telling me this?” he asked in a very amused tone.

Yunho bit his lower lip, looked down and scratched his nape. “I actually don’t know. I just feel like I have to. Besides, I don’t want you to get mad.” He took a quick glance at Jaejoong who was staring at him in amusement. Moments later, he heard the latter chuckle.

“You don’t have to. Really. I understand. I think.” Jaejoong said. He smiled reassuringly when Yunho still looked like guilty. When Yunho’s face finally brightened up, he reminded him that he still need to go to the staff room.

“Right, right. Sorry.” Yunho slowly let go of his arm. “Do you need some help?”

Jaejoong studied Yunho’s face. “Have you had lunch yet?” When he didn’t answer, Jaejoong knew right away that Yunho would skip lunch once he agrees.

“Thanks but I can manage. Besides, you need to eat. Fainting during class is the last thing I want to happen to you.” He touched Yunho’s face gently but stepped back quickly, “I really need to get our activity book. Don’t skip lunch, okay?”

Yunho nodded. He was still standing and wasn’t planning to go until Jaejoong coaxed him to get going.

* * *

“Yah! What took you so long?”

“You only have fifteen minutes of break, hyung. But no worries, I’ve bought you food already.” Junsu handed Yunho his lunch and the latter took it with a soft ‘thank you.’

“Make sure to chew properly. Don’t do it like Changmin does because that’s one of his talents. You still have fifteen minutes so no need to hurry.” Yoochun said.

“Where’s Changmin?” Yunho managed to ask in between drinking his bottled water.

“Aish, don’t mind that food monster. Just eat. And in case you’re also wondering where your brother might be, he’s with that food monster – probably eating him already.” Yoochun answered.

“What?” Yunho’s eyes widened and Yoochun laughed while Junsu stared at them looking lost.

“I’m just kidding. Kibum went to Hodong-seonsaengnim. For more credits.”

Yunho heaved a deep sigh but was still glaring at Yoochun. “That’s not funny,” he added.

“But I find it amusing.” Yoochun mouthed.

“What’s going on?” Junsu asked innocently.

“Nothing.” Yunho and Yoochun answered quickly. Junsu eyed them suspiciously but didn’t say anything.

Within ten minutes, Yunho managed to eat all his lunch and before the second bell rang, the three of them were already running back to their classroom.

* * *

“You’re almost late,” Jaejoong said with a smile as he hand them their activity book. Yunho grinned back and sat behind Yoochun’s desk.

“Hey Jaejoong, what’s this activity book all about?” Yoochun asked once he settled on his spot.

“Well, we’re supposed to do that last week but seonsaengnim decided that we should wait for Yunho so that he’ll catch up quickly.” Jaejoong explained.

“Oh, I see. Must be nice to receive a special treatment, eh?”

“Shut up, Chun.”

Yoochun glanced teasingly at Jaejoong who was glaring at him. He raised both his hands, “Sorry Mrs Jung – OUCH!”

Jaejoong stood up and hit Yoochun on his arm with his book. Yunho watched them laughing as Yoochun got hit all over again.

Their last subject turned out to be self study and for most of the time, the three tried to study but always ends up fooling with each other much as to the class’s amusement and annoyance. It is indeed rare to see Jaejoong stifling his laughter during self-study.

* * *

“Yah! Yah! Where are you going?”

Kibum stopped running and turned around. “I’ll just let Yunho-hyung know where I’m going.”

“Bwoh? Why don’t you just call him?” Junsu asked with a bemused expression.

“Oh, right. I forgot I can do that,” muttered Kibum.

“Yah, I’m going first. If you guys still want to watch, just go straight to the field.” Changmin walked past them and then broke into run.

“Why are you in a hurry?”

“Whoever’s the last one to be there will have to watch the whole team eat BBQ and I AM NOT watch anyone eat kogi!”

Kibum and Junsu looked at each other and shook their heads. Of course, Changmin will not let anything or anyone get in between him and the love of his life – and in this case, his food.

“Hey Bummie …”

“Hmm?”

“I have a question.” Kibum stared at Junsu curiously, “What is it?”

“This might sound stupid, though. Why do you always argue with Changmin?”

Kibum stopped walking abruptly and face Junsu. “Bwoh? What do you mean I ALWAYS ARGUE WITH CHANGMIN?

Junsu winced upon seeing Kibum’s glaring eyes. “N-no, that’s not what I mean,” he stammered. He gulped and composed himself, “Okay, that doesn’t sound right. Let me rephrase it. Why do you guys always bicker? Every single time, you guys will find something to argue about. Be it the smallest detail on a rock or the most stupid thing that exist in this world. Like seriously, why? Aren’t you tired of arguing over a pointless matter?”

Kibum opened his mouth but closed it again when he doesn’t know what to say. He glared at Junsu before walking away.

“B-bwoh?” Junsu stood there for a minute before running towards Kibum and didn’t dare bring up the question when they sat on one of the bleachers on the field.

Kibum cringed when he heard the deafening squeal/cheer of the girls that were there. “What the hell,” he muttered.

“Those are actually Changmin’s fan girls. They can be scary sometimes.”

“But mostly annoying.” Kibum added.

Junsu giggled and nodded his head in agreement, “Yup, mostly annoying.”

“And he actually enjoy the attention he gets?”

Junsu tilted his head to the left, “That I don’t know of. He doesn’t say anything about it. Well, more like he always ignore them.”

“Really? Why?”

“Changmin doesn’t really want any special attention. He just really want to run.”

“Oh, so he finds them annoying then?”

“Somewhat, but he’s also grateful for their support.”

“I see.”

Junsu and Kibum watched as the athletes prepare to run, and in the midst of their stretching, Kibum’s phone went off.

“Oh, hyung.” Kibum’s eyes widened as he realised something. “Crap! Hyung, sorry! I forgot to tell you that I’m with Junsu. I really meant to call you but I forgot. I’m sorry, hyung – yeah, I’m with Junsu we’re here at the field – uhm, watching Changmin’s training. No – you can go ahead, I’ll stay and I don’t know how long their practice will take. Yes I will, I’ll call Mr. Kwon before they’re done. Sorry again, hyung.”

“Yunho hyung?” Junsu asked.

“Yeah, I forgot to call him to let him know where we’re going. Aish.” Kibum heaved a sigh and put his phone in his pocket.

“Oh look, they’re starting.” Junsu pointed on the field and as the track and fielders go on their positions and the ‘fan girls’ started to cheer loudly. “Oh geez,” Kibum and Junsu both muttered.

* * *

“He’s with Junsu,” Yunho informed Yoochun and Jaejoong who were watching him.

“Good grief,” breathed Jaejoong. “Why didn’t they tell you where they were going?”

“Kibum said he meant to call but forgot about it. Doesn’t matter, he’s with Junsu and Changmin anyways.”

“Oh, now you’re pretty chill eh. While earlier you almost dashed in their building and search every room just to find him, good thing Jaejoong and I were quick enough to think to call him first.” Yoochun teased as he pats Yunho’s shoulder.

Yunho sighed and shrugged Yoochun’s hand off of his shoulder, “You’re mean,” he mumbled.

Yoochun tsk-ed and walked towards the school gate, “And here I thought you’re the most intelligent person I’ve ever known. Can’t believe you lost your intelligence just because your brother didn’t let you know where he’s going. I can’t imagine what you’ll lose if Jaejoong’s the one who did that.”

“WHAT DID YOU SAY?” Both Yunho and Jaejoong asked and chased Yoochun who started running and laughing at the same time.

“Ah, that was fun!” Yoochun chuckled and sat on one of the chair in the café.

“Can’t believe … we really chased you … up to here.” Jaejoong breathed in between his words as he slumped down. Yunho on the other hand, went straight to the counter to order them drinks.

When Yunho bring their drinks, Jaejoong can’t help but notice that the latter was looking pale. “Are you alright?” he asked when Yunho sat beside him.

Yoochun paid attention to Yunho’s face when he heard Jaejoong’s question. “Geez, drink up man! You’re as white as a paper. Are you okay?”

Yunho managed to smile at them and drink the glass of water that he just put on the table.

“Slow down,” Jaejoong cooed when Yunho attempted to drink it all in one go but failed as he almost choked.

After almost an hour, the color went back on Yunho’s face and Yoochun sighed in relief. “We shouldn’t’ve run. Do you have asthma or a heart disease or something? Remind us not to do that again or else you’ll die.”

Jaejoong shot him a glare but decided not to say anything. He touched Yunho’s forehead and relaxed when he isn’t as cold as ice like earlier. “You okay now?” he asked again.

“Yeah, guess I need to do more exercise. My body isn’t use to running unlike before.” Yunho laughed but the other two just stared at him; completely serious about not wanting him to run anymore. “Come on, don’t be like that. It’s nothing serious.” He said in an assuring voice.

Jaejoong scowled but again, didn’t say anything. Yoochun shook his head and muttered something that sounds like, “Whatever” before taking a sip on his iced caramel macchiato.

“Seriously, though, you aren’t taking P.E. classes because of your condition, right?” Yoochun asked carefully.

“Err –”

“Be honest,” said Jaejoong.

“Well, I can’t really take P.E. classes because of health reasons obviously. But not that extreme type you’re thinking – Running won’t kill me. It certainly can’t.”

“But, you look like you’re about to collapse earlier!” Yoochun argued a little bit louder, not really minding the other customers.

“Because, it’s been a while since the last time I ran. What happened earlier was simply because of not having enough exercise, okay? Nothing to worry about.” Yunho explained patiently, he smiled reassuringly but both Yoochun and Jaejoong aren’t really convinced.

He sighed in defeat and took another sip of his water. Jaejoong touched his forehead again and breathed in relief when his temperature was back to normal. Yoochun on the other hand observed them and a cheeky smile formed on his lips.

“Hey,” Yoochun called. “I actually forgot that I need to meet Nara-seonsaengnim after school.”

“Eh? How come that you’re always talking to the new nurse?” Jaejoong asked. Yoochun smirked and get up from his seat.

“Well, I’m trying to catch up to her you know. Besides she’s hot.” He winked at them and made his way out of the café.

Yunho and Jaejoong stared at each, “Does he –” Jaejoong covered his ears with both of his hands and shook his head.

“I don’t wanna hear what you’re going to say.”

Yunho chuckled and asked him why. “Because it’s wrong. It sounds wrong and it’s – ugh! Of all the people – why our school nurse?”

“Maybe she’s really hot.” Jaejoong glared at Yunho and smacked him on his arm when the latter starts laughing.

“Arrasso, I won’t call her hot anymore. Stop hitting me.” Yunho said in between laughs. “Joongie, it hurts.” He stopped laughing and pouted when Jaejoong’s hitting became harder.

Jaejoong huffed but gently massaged Yunho’s arms after a while. “Sheesh, you and Yoochun.” He said under his breath.

Yunho chuckled but stopped right away when Jaejoong glared at him. “Sorry. Hey, do you have something to do later aside from homework and studying?”

“Hmm, no, I don’t think so. Why?”

“You mind going with me to pick up a gift for a friend? I think I’d be needing your help.”

“Eh? But – I don’t know your friend.”

“You don’t have to worry about that. He’s not really picky. I uhm, actually, I at choosing presents and I always, I think, disappoints the recipient.”

Jaejoong stared at him, and by the look of it, he was actually trying to fight the urge to burst out laughing. “Yah! Fine, fine, you can laugh. But I really at this. Just ask my brother if you want some proof. So please~ help me out? Pretty please?”

Jaejoong stifled a chuckle and covered his mouth, “Fine, I’ll help you out so stop doing that puppy eyes. It doesn’t really suit you.”

Yunho smiled and muttered a soft thank you.

“But you have to treat me for dinner, Jung.” Jaejoong said with a wink.

Yunho laughed and shook his head. “Arrasso, I’ll just call Mr Kwon to let him know where we’re going.”

“We’re going to ride a bus?”

“You don’t want to?” Yunho asked in confusion. “Do you prefer walking?”

“No. I mean, I don’t mind. It’s just that, well, you’re a Jung –” Jaejoong stopped talking when Yunho winced. “Sorry,” he apologized quickly.

“Don’t worry – I’m getting used to it. I was really planning to try riding all sorts of public transportation anyways, but if you –”

“Yah, if you really want to try riding a bus, I’ll accompany you, okay? I don’t really mind. Sorry, I shouldn't have said that.”

Yunho smiled and took out his phone. Jaejoong bit his lower lip as he watch Yunho talk with Mr Kwon. How can I be so insensitive? Him being a Jung doesn’t mean he won’t try and do something that common people do. Way to go, Kim Jaejoong. “Aish!” He hit his head slightly in frustration but composed himself right away when Yunho put his phone in his pocket.

“Let’s go.”

* * *

“Look! Even though Coach Kaze didn’t give them any specific routine because he was on holidays, Changmin still managed to outrun his sunbaes. To think he’s still a second year.”

Kibum just nod his head as he watch the athletes run. “That’s just a warm up?” He managed to ask as Changmin reached the finish line first.

“Yup!” Junsu answered proudly. “Imagine if that’s the real thing, with the crowd and erm – the ‘fangirls’. It’s really fun watching him run, isn’t it?”

“Yeah… I guess.”

Junsu looked at Kibum who was watching Changmin intently. He smiled meaningfully and giggled. “Look at him, he’s already mesmerized by the Shim.” He clapped his hands excitedly which made Kibum snapped.

“What’re you clapping for? They’re done, right? Nothing exciting going on?”

Junsu’s infamous laugh almost overpowered the fangirls’ squeal but stopped when Kibum glared at him, “Nothing, okay? I just happen to remember something. Hey, wanna watch their match?”

Kibum hesitated but asked anyway, “When?”

“I believe it’ll be two weeks from now. It’s in Suwon – don’t know which school exactly.”

“Will the tournament fall on weekdays?”

Junsu made a cute pout before answering, “Usually yes. But there are times when it’ll fall on Saturday. Let’s just hope it’ll be Saturday so we can watch, ne?”

“Ah, I’ll try to –”

“Oh, sorry, I forgot to ask if you have anything planned to do that week. Are you gonna be busy?” Junsu looked worried, apologetic and hopeful at the same time that Kibum felt like saying he’s going to watch every single match of Changmin. Just to make Junsu happy, of course.

“Err – I don’t think so, yet. I don’t really plan my activities that ahead, you know.”

“I really hope you’re free that day and Yunho-hyung too. It’ll be fun to watch if all of us will go and I bet Changmin will be happy.” Kibum just smiled because he has nothing to say to the very excited and very happy Junsu.

A whistle blow from the track field indicated that their practice is finally over. Changmin thanked the coach under his breath and sat on the ground for a brief rest.

“CHANGMIN!”

He cringed when he heard Junsu’s high-pitched voice. “Job well done, my friend!” he said.

Changmin can only nod his head and gave a thumbs-up to him. He didn’t even bother looking at his direction. “Aww, is our Minnie really tired? Do you wanna eat?”

“Yeah, I’m tired. Where are we going to eat? Please don’t tell me not to the usual café.”

“Eh, you’re actually being picky on where to eat? That’s a first.”

Changmin snapped his head upwards and saw Kibum, “What’re you doing here?” he asked dumbfounded.

“What do you mean?” Junsu asked.

“I’m with Junsu, why are you acting so surprised?”

“Eh, I thought you already went home.” Changmin scratched his nape and stood up. “I’ll go and change. See you guys.”

“Hurry up! I’m starving!” Junsu said and him and Kibum started walking towards the main gate where Mr Kwon was waiting. On their way though, they spotted Yoochun who just went out of the main building.

“Chunnie-hyung! It’s so rare for you to be seen lurking around after school. What’s up?”

“Heh. You brats! So what if I stayed here after school? You’re not the only one who can, okay?”

“Lemme guess, it has something to do with your grades?”

Yoochun stared at Kibum in complete bewilderment. “What the –”

“Oh, I’m right?”

“YOU’RE WRONG BRAT! Why do you always presume that my grades are failing? For your information, brat, it doesn’t look like it but I actually have decent grades.”

Junsu chuckled when he saw Kibum’s reaction. He certainly isn’t buying what Yoochun had just said.

“It’s hard to believe, eh Kibum? I know. That’s my reaction too when I learned from Jaejoong-hyung that he’s actually doing well in their class. He complains a lot but he does study.”

“Unbelievable.” Kibum muttered.

Yoochun just glared at him and let out a frustrated sigh, “Why did I even bother explaining myself to you?”

“Sorry hyung. Didn’t mean to offend you or anything. I just find it hard to – well, you don’t really look like the studious type so, yeah. I’m really sorry hyung.”

Yoochun waved a hand at him, “You’re forgiven. And you’re right. I do look like more of a slacker type. Anyways, why are you guys still here?”

“Oh, we went to watch Changmin.”

“Eh? You two watched Changmin? Like what – oh okay I got it. What’s the point of going there when you’re not going to support him on the actual race, Junsu?”

“Don’t be mean hyung. Supporting your friend isn’t all about attending the match or race – giving moral support and cheer count too, you know. Besides, Kibum wants to know how’s Changmin doing on his club.”

“I didn’t –”

“Oh, speaking of the Shim – Yo Changmin! How’s your training?” Yoochun waved at Changmin who was taking his time walking towards them.

“The usual.” Changmin answered tiredly.

“Ooh~ not in a good mood are you?” Yoochun said teasingly.

“Yeah, I’m starving. We should grab something to eat before going home. I don’t think I’ll be able to hold it till dinner.”

“Aww poor Minnie. Coach Kaze really wore you out. Wanna tag along, Chunnie-hyung?” Junsu asked.

“Sure, I guess.”

“Wait, where’s Yunho-hyung? Isn’t he with you?”

“The protective dongsaeng strikes again. Your brother’s with Jaejoong – they’re on date. We shouldn’t bother them or else they’ll get mad you know. We should also learn to distance ourselves from them starting today.”

“Bwoh?”

Yoochun let out a hearty laugh upon seeing his friends’ reactions. “Oh, please tell me you actually believed what I just said.”

“You’re a jerk.” Changmin said in annoyance as he hit his cousin’s arm. “You got me there. Seriously though, hyung where are they?”

“You don’t have to hit me, you know. I left them in the café. Not because I had to go back here but because – I feel like I’m the third wheel. Though it’s fun watching them from time to time.”

“Yeah, I feel you Chunnie-hyung.” Junsu agreed.

“Oh, why is Mr Kwon still here if Yunho-hyung and Jaejoong-hyung are at the café already?” Kibum asked when he saw Mr. Kwon standing beside the black van.

“Right, I forgot to mention, we walked. We just forgot to tell Mr. Kwon but I bet Yunho already called him earlier.” Yoochun answered leaving the fact that Yunho almost fainted because they ran.

“Mr. Kwon, Mom and Dad are both out and won’t make it for dinner, right?”

“Yes they’re both out.”

“Okay, we’re gonna eat out then. And uhm –” Kibum wheeled around to look at Junsu, “where are we going?”

“Oh yeah, why don’t we just go to that ramen shop that we went to last summer?”

“Ramen shop?” Kibum asked.

“We’ll show the way.” Junsu answered with a smile.

“Okay.”

“Hey Changmin, what happened to that BBQ deal with your teammates?” asked Junsu when they’re all sitting in the car.

“Don’t remind me, it’s pissing me off.”

Kibum and Junsu looked at each other and whispered, “He probably lost the bet.”

* * *

“So… this friend of yours what does he likes? I mean, what kind of hobby, does he prefer something or did he somehow let you know what he wants to have for his birthday?” Jaejoong asked Yunho right after they got off the bus.

Yunho paused a while and touched his chin. “Hmm, he’s actually the vainest, selfish, crazy friend I’ve had. But he’s also caring and can be overly protective. As for his interest … he’s got a strange obsession over a steamed bun. Hmm, what else is there – ah! He loves listening to sad songs – and he can actually dance to it. Strange huh?”

Jaejoong can only stare at him because of what he just learned. He shook his head after a while and laughed. “Let’s see – how about a gift that’ll remind him of the first time that you guys met?”

“Well, that – I’m not really sure about it.”

“Why?” Jaejoong looked at him in concern.

“Just a bad feeling about it… but yeah – we can try that.”

Jaejoong didn’t say anything but from Yunho’s expression, he can say that the latter is somehow trying to hide something.

A gift that’ll remind him of our first meeting huh? He’d cry for sure. He hated that place when I first saw him. But I've got to give it a try – it might change that awful memory into a happy one after all.


AN

* Can't really think of a chapter title. Mianhe

Sorry for the delay guys OTL I was about to be done writing this chap when I read about Jessica's "forced departure" from SNSD. I got sad and wasn't able to concentrate writing. SNSD is my ultimate girl group bias. I like them. But not as much as DBSK/TVXQ, of course; considering they're my ULTIMATE BIAS GROUP out of all the idols/group in K-POP. Sigh, it was a really bad news. Not gonna hate on Jessica or the remaining girls or SM, I'll just support both sides and their promos from now on. GOOD VIBES EVERYONE!

Thanks for always supporting and for all the comments :) xoxo

P.S Sorry for all the grammatical errors -_-