Finders, Keepers

Love Should Go On [Sequel to I'm Not Even Pretty]

Days later, SHINee had to go to Hong Kong for a concert. We were all sitting down in the waiting room waiting for their plane to be called. I was playing a game Jonghyun had downloaded into my phone in which you had to connect dots of the same color. Sounds easy huh? Well you have to fill out this grid and it's not like you can just literally connect the dots because sometimes it would overlap other lines or block them. Anyways, I looked up from the game and found Minho staring at me with a small pout. 

I frowned and wondered why he was making that face, "What?" He sighed and released his pout, "Nothing, it's just..." My head tilted in curiosity as I tried to lock his eyes with mine, "Just what?" When his eyes met mine they had a determined look around them, "It's just that, my flight will almost be called and you're just playing a game."

I bit my lip and frowned harder, worried that I was doing something wrong or rude, "I'm sorry. What's wrong with playing a game?"Minho took the phone from my hands and set it on the coffee table before us, safely above his newspaper, "The game is keeping your attention away from me." From behind me I heard a scoff. Minho looked in it's direction and my eyes followed after his. My eyes found a nonchalant Taemin, with headphones placed firmly on his head, his eyes closed  and his head bobbing up and down indulging in the music. 

I wondered what he was listening to and what he was thinking about. It had been almost two months since we broke up. Two months since we've said a word to each other. There were so many things I wanted to know. Was he really going to marry? Did he even like the girl? Was she worthy? Inside I felt my heart sink into my chest. I turned back to Minho and realized he was already looking at me with a bitter look on his face. 

"Is everything alright oppa?" I asked him anxiously. His eyes lit up a little and he smiled at me, "Nothing, it's just..." Again? I sighed and smiled, wondering what was on his mind this time, "Just what, oppa?" Minho swiftly grabbed my waist and pulled me towards his lap, he placed his lips near my cheek and whispered into my ear, "Go out with me Laila. On a date. Be my girlfriend."

I felt a tingle go up my spine and something churn delightfully in my stomach as I felt his hot breath in my ear. Everyone's eyes were on us and it made me quite uncomfortable. Blushing madly, I quickly stood up and composed myself. Minho stood up after me and looked at me inquisitively. I tried to say something but when my eyes met his, all the words I had prepared in my mind choked in my throat. Feeling overwhelmed, I cleared my throat and averted my eyes. I spotted Taemin behind Minho and met his eyes instead. 

He was looking at me with a piercing gaze. It was suffocating and overwhelming, and it made me want to shrink down in a corner and hide. Minho must have noticed because he lightly held my chin and turned my face towards him, "It's okay if you're not sure. You don't have to answer now." 

"Minho-" I was interrupted by their manager, who walked in announcing that they had to board the plane. Onew stood up first, "Come on guys." We all stood up and began to hug and say our goodbyes. Onew pulled me aside and spoke lowly, "How are you feeling?" I smiled and answered sincerely, "I'm okay. You?" He chuckled and ruffled my hair, "You're so cute. But seriously, here is the contact information for the hotel we're staying in," he handed me a small piece of paper," Don't hesitate to call if anything happens."

I rolled my eyes, "It's not like I'm a reckless teenager who's going to burn the house down," I joked lively. Behind Onew, I saw Key's eyes widen and he looked warily at his leader, "I'm having second thoughts about this."

A familiar pair of arms wrapped around my waist, "Why don't you just come with us? Let's go buy you a ticket." I resisted as Minho began to push me towards the check-in area, "No, no, no. I'm okay. We'll see each other again in three days." Minho's face grew into one of disbelief when Jonghyun pulled him off of me, "Move aside." Jonghyun smiled earnestly at me, "Laila! Don't miss oppa so much okay? If you feel you're heart will burst with sadness just call me and I'll come back in the blink of an eye. And also, take care of Jooyoung for me."

He hugged me and then turned me around and pushed me towards something, which I quickly found out was Taemin. I bumped into his body and just looked at him with a blank expression on his face. He looked at me with a similar expression, thus we stood there awkwardly staring at each other. My heart was beating loudly and sensibly and I began to wonder if he could hear it. After what seemed ages of not saying anything, Taemin slung his bag over his shoulder and walked past me. 

I quickly fumbled for something to say. I had to say something! Anything! "T-Taemin oppa.." I called out to him impulsively. He turned around and looked at me idly, "What?" I struggled with my words, " Have a ni~ I mean, safe trip!" His eyes lit up and I saw a ghost of a smile on his lips before he turned and walked away nonchalantly.

I smiled at myself and mentally patted my back, congratulating myself on my hard work. After the boys left, Jooyoung stood next to me and looked at me with narrowed eyes and her weight shifted to one side. I stood there waiting for her to say something but after moments of silence, I spoke first, "Unnie, why are you looking at me like that?"

"What's going on with you and Minho?" she blurted out bluntly. I quickly deviated my sight and avoided her interrogative eyes, "Nothing. We're just friends." From the corner of my eye, I saw her lips twitch into a mischievous smile, "Yes, of course. Very close friends." I placed my hand on my grumbling stomach, "I'm hungry," I said trying to change the topic, "Aren't you hungry? Let's go get some food unnie!" 

After having lunch with Jooyoung, I took a quiet stroll around the park. It was a nice summer afternoon and couples, old and young, we're everywhere. Whether sitting down on benches, feeding pigeons, or cuddling on picnic blankets. The sun shone brightly and warmly down on everything and everyone. In response, I found myself smiling and nearly skipping down the paved road. I stopped when I spotted a little girl and boy standing alone before a bronze statue. The little girl looked to be around five and her brother around four. He was crying loudly and she looked to be on the verge of tears herself.

Surprised and wondering why they we're alone, I calmly approached them, "Why is your brother crying?" The little girl sniffed and looked at me with puffy eyes, "I think he's hungry." "Where's your umma?" I asked with concern. She lifted and dropped her shoulders in a shrug, "I don't know." Then her face contorted and she began to sob. I looked from her to her bawling brother and grew appalled, scolding any parent who has left their child alone at this age in my mind.

I quickly approached a street vendor and bought them food. We sat down on a bench and I fed the little one his food. It was so cute the way his cheeks puffed up when they were full of food and his lips formed a small pout while chewing. He reminded me of Minho. "Unnie, thank you!" his older sister bowed and smiled at me. I noticed that she was missing her two front teeth and that it made her look irresistibly cute. "Waa! You're so cute!" I squealed and pinched her cheeks, "What's your name and where is your umma?" She lowered her head and a sad look appeared on her face, "Umma said she'd pick us up here a while ago. But it's already been over two hours."

Two hours?! "What's your name?" I asked again. "I'm Jung JiEun, and this is my dongsaeng Jung Yoogeun," she smiled shyly and cutely. "My name is Woex Laila," I said filled with enthusiasm, hoping to divert the children's attention from their missing mother. I smiled earnestly at them and pointed to the swing set, "Why don't we go play a little until your umma comes?" They both nodded excitedly and ran along to the swing set. I pushed them for a while and chased them around  the park. I grew tired afterwards, due to my condition, but worried that they might start thinking about their mother again.

Luckily enough, they had made friends at the park and we're playing some games. I watched over them all afternoon. Soon enough, the evening arrived and we were going hungry again. Yoogeun approached me and tears began to stream down his face, "Umma isn't going to come!" I felt panic strike my gut, "No, no, no! Don't cry! Your mother told me to take care of you because she had something to do!"

They both looked up at me with awed expressions, "Really?" I nodded firmly and believably, wondering how much trouble it would be if I decided to take these kids home. 

But I did anyways, and it became a really big turning point for me.