Selfish Acts Hurt Other People

Love Should Go On [Sequel to I'm Not Even Pretty]

The sunlight stung my eyes the next morning as I woke up with a pounding headache. "Ugh..." I groaned and sat up, the room spinning around, "Why did I even drink that much?" And then  I saw the answer sitting at the foot of my bed. "Good morning~" Taemin greeted me in a sing-song voice, "Did you sleep well?" I scratched my head and yawned, "Well I guess if sleeping well means waking up with a hangover. In that case, yes." He chuckled and ruffled my hair slightly, "You're so cute when you're witty."

I shrugged and half-smiled, "I try." I leaned my head back on my headrest and stretched my legs until my toes ached, "How long have you been here, anyway? In my room?" He smiled a secretive smile and placed a finger on his chin, just below his lower lip, "A while." I felt my brows furrow slightly, "Okay...not creepy at all." He stood up and I noticed he was wearing an apron, "OOHHH! Did you make breakfast? Is it pancakes? What did you make?" Pressing a finger to his lips, Taemin quietly slipped out of my bedroom. 

"Guess that means I have to go find out" I finally stepped out of my bed and finished rising up in the morning. The alarm clock beside my bed said that it was ten in the morning and the muscular ache that I felt in my told me that I had missed my morning jog with Minho. For some reason my eyes glanced to my closet and I noticed my peach-colored gown in the center. My heart sank and a lump began to form in my throat...it was the day. I brushed my teeth and took a look a myself in the mirror. There were dark circles under my eyes, proof that all the creeping memories had kept me up that night. 

Memories of my first year in South Korea began to fill my head again. I still felt like there was a big chunk of it missing because the only person that I still didn't remember was Taemin. What is it that  I'm missing? I walked down the stairs, towel drying my hair and saw that the table was only set for two. Taemin walked out of the kitchen and into the dining room with a long tray of food. "Breakfast is served," he said professionally as he placed it down on the table. I felt myself smile as I took a whiff of the scent the food was emmitting. Mmm - I began to cough uncontrollably. 

Holy this smells weird. "Are you okay?" Taemin asked nicely as he handed me a glass of water. Still coughing, I took the glass and drank all of it, hoping to fill my stomach as much as I could in order to avoid eating. Then I grabbed my chopsticks and hesitantly placed some kalbi in my mouth. I shuddered as I chewed and the juices flowed to my tastebuds. Oh my gosh I'm going to die. Lee Taemin! What did I ever do to you? I quickly forced a smile on my face and nodded my head, "It's good!"

From the corner of my eye, I saw when Taemin sipped some of his soup and almost spit it out. He began to cough and drank some water, "Y-yeah, it's really good."  Oh boy. "You know what oppa? I noticed you have way less soup than I do," I lied, both of our bowls were the same size and were filled, "It's not fair since I eat less." I pushed my bowl of soup and watched as his eyes opened up in terror, "Have mine."

I put on the fakest, most sincere smile I had and fluttered my eyelashes. Taemin began to blush, "That's not really necessary, I-" "I insist!" I pouted and tried some of my best aegyo. "You'll have it. Right oppa?" I stared into Taemin's eyes with my own cunning gaze. He could only look back at me in terror. "Right oppa?" I repeated again, yet his expression did not change. "Taemin op-" "ALRIGHT! ALRIGHT! I CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE! IF I EAT ANY MORE OF THAT SOUP I'LL DIE OF FOOD POISONING!" Taemin exploded like a bomb and I threw my head back and laughed.

"What's so funny?" he asked all flustered. "We're eating out," I stood up and headed for the main entrance, "Oh!" I turned back on my heels and faced Taemin, "You're paying."

 

I pulled over at a diner, "Food here I come." We sat down at a table and a waitress came by to give us water and our menus. "Sorry for almost killing you back there," Taemin smiled apologetically. "It's okay Tae. Why don't we talk about something else?" I looked up at him and saw him smiling, really smiling. I looked at him questioningly and he shook his head, "Sorry, it's just...you haven't called me 'Tae' in a really long time." His eyes grew sad and I felt the strong urge to make him smile again. "So you're getting married tonight. I think this requires a toast. Do they sell any bubbly in this place?"

He began to laugh, "May I remind you we're supposed to be having breakfast?" The waitress appeared with our orders and then disappeared into the kitchen. "You should have ordered a Korean breakfast," Taemin suggested as he took a look at my pancakes and omelet. "You're just jealous," I stuck my tongue out at him, "Plus I've missed this type of food." I closed my eyes and smelled my breakfast, I was reminded of Sunday morning, birds chirping, and Good Morning America. 

"So I'm guessing everybody who's anybody is coming to the wedding, huh?" I tried to excite Taemin but he just shrugged. I reached for his hand and put mine over his, "I'm sure Hina is going to be a beautiful bride and a wonderful wife. Don't get cold feet Taemin, she's a keeper." I saw as Taemin's shoulders heaved up and down and as he let out a long sigh. Almost immediately, Taemin placed his hand over mine and held it tightly. "What if I'm not getting cold feet?"

I tilted my head in confusion and pouted, "What do you mean?" Taemin raised his head and looked into my eyes, his gaze lonely and cold, "What if I just don't want to get married, did you ever think about that?" His voice grew louder and his grip got tighter, "Tae, you're hurting m-" "You know how I feel Laila. You've known how I've felt all along!" My eyes widened as this suddenly became about me. I felt my mouth open, but I couldn't think of anything to say.

"And what? You have an accident and lose you're memory and you think it's okay to suppress your emotions?!" Taemin brought my hand to his chest. "You're not being fair Taemin. I didn't choose to lose my memory," I tried to use a calm voice as I noticed people were beginning to stare. "But you did choose to date Minho didn't you? Even after I had confessed to you. Even after I had shown you the passion I feel for you. Even though Minho was my brother you decided to be with him. Why him?! Out of all the people why with somebody so close to me?!"

I felt my eyes sting as tears began to fall against my cheeks, "I'm sorry. I didn't know it would affect you so much. I guess I was just being selfish." He nodded his head in agreement as he stared at me with pained and accusatory eyes, "Yes, you have been selfish. And I've been selfless all these months. But I'm tired of living without you. Tired of seeing you smile, knowing it wasn't because of me. Tired of seeing you smile for somebody else. Tired of seeing you blush for somebody else."

What was he saying? I had yet to process everything Taemin was just throwing at me all at once, when he yanked me out of my booth gripped my shoulders. He lifted my chin with his index finger as he looked into my eyes. I began to feel , as if he could see right through them, "Remember Laila. I. Am. Your. Man." And with that he began to kiss me. He held me tight and kissed me passionately. He kissed me as if his life depended on it. My heart began to flutter and my body began to press against his.

This was different. Everything with Taemin had always felt different, it always felt so...right.  But why? Why couldn't I feel this with Minho? Minho! He doesn't deserve this. I pulled away from Taemin's arms, "Minho doesn't deserve this and neither does Hina. Next time you want to express yourself, do it without compromising others." 

Taemin smiled sadly as his arms dropped to his sides and he slumped his shoulders, "I guess this is what happens when I decide to be selfish."