Coming Back To You

Love Should Go On [Sequel to I'm Not Even Pretty]

"You're breaking up with me?!" I gasped in surprise as a determined Minho stood in front of me. "Sorry Laila, I've just realized that what I felt for you wasn't love. I guess I just cared about you too much and confused it with love. I really only see you as a younger sister." I smiled sadly, "I actually really liked you." Minho stepped forward and wrapped his arms around me. His chest was warm and he smelled of peppermint and shampoo. "It's okay, you'll like someone else eventually," he kissed my head and pinched my cheeks, "Sorry."  

I shrugged my shoulders and smiled, " happens." Minho began to laugh, "You've been swearing to much, I think Key will have to wash your mouth with soap." "I can't help it," I pouted, "I've just been dumped." He ruffled my hair, "Anyways we have to get going early for the wedding," Minho headed out the door of his room, "I trust you'll get there on time." I raised my hand to my forhead in military style, " Aye, aye captain." Before leaving, Minho turned back towards me with sadness in his eyes, "I really am sorry Laila." Before I could say anything he closed the door and left me in his bedroom. 

"Ugh!" I yelled in frustration as the past couple of days had been hectic and stressful. Sleepless nights due to the recurring memories, the confrontation with Taemin, and now Minho breaking up with me. I feel like these are just steps, steps that are taking me to something even bigger. I felt my stomach churn with anticipation and worry. I needed to get my mind off of things. Distract myself. I jumped to my feet and ran towards my room. I slipped on some sweatpants and my running shoes. "Meow," Juliette, my cat, pounced on my bed and cuddled up on my lap. I felt comforted instantly. She purred as I her from her ear to the end of her tail. 

"Merry Christmas," said Taemin, he held something above my head. I looked up and saw a mistletoe.

 

"Merry Christmas" I replied as I leaned in for the kiss.

"Woah," my chest heaved upwards as I took in a deep breath, "When was that?" I looked down to my lap and saw Juliette staring back at me with her big green eyes. 

"It was a Christmas present," his smile grew sad, "From me." Taemin. Taemin. Taemin. That was all that was on my mind. Everytime I thought of him I wanted to cry and smile at the same time. And it was frustrating. Frustrating because I could not control my emotions. Frustrating because everything seemed so strange yet so familiar to me. 

I quickly placed Juliette on the bed and headed out the door. As I began to run, he was the only thing on my mind. "It's okay if you cry," he said, his voice sweet and melodic, "I promise I won't tell the others." Taemin. As I ran, it occured to me that I remembered perfectly when he had said that. It was the night that Joghyun had kissed me and asked me to forget about it. The night I met Jooyoung. I began to run faster, and more memories began to creep in.

"Dammit, Laila!" he punched a column. I wondered if he hurt his hand, "What were you thinking, being out here at this time of night?!" I remembered when he told me that as well, it was when I was assaulted in the middle of the night. I wondered how he had known I was outside. "I'm SHINee's Lee Taemin, who can resist me?"

Why was this happening to me? Why now? "I don't care!" he yelled, "I don't care because no matter how much I try to hate you, or ignore you, or get you out of my mind, I will always end up wanting to hug you, be with you, or look at you. You're the only one for me."  I felt my legs tire and my sight grew a little blurry. My heart was aching and it was demanding some TLC. I collapsed on a near by bench and surrendered to my thoughts of Lee Taemin. 

"You and Taemin are in love."

"The thought of losing you," he continued, "I couldn't bare it, which only made me realize how much I really love you."

"They're couple rings" he said. He took the one out and slipped it through my finger, "Now you can't forget me when you're in New York."

It was a spring afternoon, I was sitting on a bench, nearly a mile away from my house when I realized, finally realized...I was in love with Lee Taemin. I was in love with him and he was getting married that evening. I felt my legs weaken and my heart sink as I released the water works. I cried because I missed him. I cried because it was too late. I cried because he meant so much to me, and today I might have to let him go.

My phone began to ring and I took the call, "Hello?" "Laila? Where are you?" It was Kai, his voice seemed upset. "I'm at a park, somewhere," I responded inanimately, "Why?" I heard him scoff on the other line, "What do you mean why? We're supposed to be going to the wedding together, duh!" he teased, "Hey, are you okay? You sound like you've been crying." 

I sighed, "I have something to tell you, meet me at my house in half an hour." With that I hung up the phone and headed back home.

 

"I remember everything," I confessed. Kai almost spit his drink out and Jooyoung's mouth gaped open. "Woah woah woah!" she sputtered, "Everything?!" I nodded my head and they both looked at each other. "Quiz time!" Kai shouted and sat next to me, "What was the name of the heiress that pretended to date Taemin for social reasons?" I crossed my arms remembering how upset I was at that, "Shim Haewang." Kai gasped and nodded, "Hmm, very good."

"Number two!" Jooyoung piped up, "Which other guy had bumped heads with Taemin over you?" "Kai," I answered confidently as I remembered when my best friend was once in love with me. Jooyoung and Kai looked at me in approval. "Question numeber three!" Kai suddenly became serious and looked into my eyes with concern, "How are you going to get him back?"

I opened my mouth and hesitated to answer, "I-I don't know." Kai and Jooyoung sank down in their seats and sighed, "It's a good thing we've prepared for this moment." "What?" I felt my head tilt in confusion, "You have?" Kai nodded to confirm. I jumped off the couch and paced around, "What makes you think he'll even want me back? I broke his heart who knows how many times? I even dated Minho for God's sake! I honestly don't think he'll ever want me back." Kai stood up and disrupted my pacing, "I seriously doubt that. He's crazy about you." 

"Anyways, so what if he doesn't want you back?!" Jooyoung shouted at me, "Do you want to live the rest of your life wondering, 'What if I had told Taemin how I felt?' Do you want to live in regret? Or would you rather move on with your life knowing that you tried your very best and that it just wasn't meant to be?"