Halmoni

Different dreams

 

Soobin’s POV

The meeting with the director was horrible. He looked at me like he wanted to kill me instead of wanting to come for a meeting. For the whole hour, he just looked at me. No words were exchanged. I spoke up, but he silenced me, telling me to keep silent and that was what we did for an hour.

“You get the contract.” Was what he said before leaving.

We didn’t have any discussion but only stared at each other for a full hour and he just stands up and say we get the project. What was he up to?

I headed into my office and closed my eyes, wanting some silence, but it was disturbed by the constant ringing of my phone. I took it to only see Donghae’s calling me. I need his reassurance now. I feel so upset somehow.

“Hello.” I answered.

“Hey~ I can’t pick you up for lunch. I have an emergency appointment, so go ahead. Don’t skip it!” He said and I laughed. I was just thinking about not going for lunch.

“Alright. I’ll ask Haemin to buy something back for me.” I assured him.

“I’ll be going now. I’ll pick you up for dinner.” He said and I smiled.

I didn’t know why, but even though I didn’t tell him about the problem I’m facing now, just by talking to him makes me happy, makes me content. Maybe this is the power of love. That’s why many people say love is one of the most powerful miracles anyone could find.

“Alright. I see you later.” I said.

“Love you.” He said and hung up.

Sometimes, I was hoping he would not be a doctor and just take over his father’s company. Ever since we started going out, he have been paged by the hospital several times to go back for emergency situations or operations. I had always said I didn’t mind, but time after time, I started to mind that he runs off after meeting me for barely an hour or sometimes even half an hour.

I dialed Haemin’s number, but she didn’t pick p, so I messaged her, telling her to get me something light. I then began flipping through my work again.

After an hour, I looked at the clock to see that Haemin’s lunch time was over, but why isn’t she back yet? She was usually early. I guess maybe the canteen was more packed today. I focused back onto my work, but suddenly, my stomach starting growling. I guess it can’t wait anymore.

I made my way to the canteen to see it totally empty and there were barely 5 souls there. One of those souls are none other than Haemin. She was sitting there very still. It seems like she’s deep in thought. I guess she must be thinking about her Eunhyuk again.

“Yah! Haemin!” I exclaimed and she jolted in her seat, snapping out of her thoughts. She turned around and looked at me before looking at her watch and apologizing.

“Even though you miss Eunhyuk you don’t have to go on such a strike.” I joked as we walked back to the office.

I then asked her if I had anymore meetings today and she said there isn’t any more meetings. I then decided to let her head home since she was kind of distracted today.

When she headed home, I buried myself in paper work again. When I heard a knock on the door, I told the person to come in.

“Didn’t’ I tell you to go home? Why are you still here?” I said, not looking up from my work.

“You did?” I heard a man’s voice and looked up to find Donghae standing there looking at me in shock.

“Why are you here so early?” I asked.

“It’s not early anymore. It’s already 8pm.” He chuckled and I looked at my surrounds and the clock. It was indeed 8pm. I guess I was really focused on my work and not realizing my surrounds.

“I thought it was only 3pm.” I smiled before packing my things.

“Don’t tell me you have been doing your work nonstop from then till now?” His expression changed and came to me.

“I guess so.” I said and he grabbed my bag from me.

“Let’s go.” He said and dragged me out of my empty office and into his car.

“Where are we going? I asked as he fastened his seat belt.

“To eat. I bet you didn’t drink any water either.” He said as he fished out a bottle of water from the back seat of his car.

“I don’t feel like eating. My stomach is not feeling well.” When I said that, he immediately stopped the car at the side of the road and unbuckle his seat belt.

“Where? Do you feel pain? Nauseous?” He looked at me and he looked really flustered.

“It hurts.” I said and I felt the pain growing slowly.

“I’ll bring you home.” He said and he drove with top speed to my house. It felts like barely a minute when he pulled the car to a stop again and got out of the car. The next moment, I felt the car door at my side open and I was being carried.

I felt weak and was unable to protest. When the door opened, I heard Omma gasp, asking Donghae what happened. Donghae himself wasn’t sure so the both of them brought me to my room and laid me down on my bed.

“Did she not have lunch again?” Omma asked Donghae and I could feel that he was looking at me.

“I’m not sure. I didn’t have lunch with her today.” He said.

“I guess she didn’t. Her gastric must have acted up again. I’ll go get her medication.” I heard Omma say and the gentle opening and closing of the door.

I felt Donghae hold onto my hand and I turned my head slightly to meet his worried eyes.

“You’re going to be fine.” He said with a gentle tone and griped on my hand. I smiled weakly before I felt a wave of pain attacking me as I winced slightly. He looked at me worriedly.

I heard the door open as Omma came in with the medication. Donghae took the pills from her and took 2 capsules from the bottle before propping me up to rest my head on his shoulder and he popped the two pills in my mouth before feeding me with water.

“I’ll leave her to you.” Omma said before leaving the room.

“You didn’t have lunch?” He asked and I shook my head slowly.

“Why not? I thought you told Haemin to buy back for you?” He said.

“She came back late. I went to find her and forgot about it.” I said weakly and I heard him sigh.

“I think if I don’t supervise you eat, you wouldn’t eat. Come by for a check-up tomorrow. Your condition seems to be worse than I expected it to be.” He said and I nodded my head lightly.

We stayed in silence for a long time until I felt better and lifted my body from his shoulder.

“Feeling better?” He asked and I nodded my head.

“Let’s go for dinner. You have to eat.” He said as he took my hand.

“I need a shower first. I feel sticky all over. Wait for me downstairs?” I said and he nodded his head. Giving me a peck on the cheek before leaving my room.

I took a quick shower and changed into a fresh set of clothes before I went down to find Donghae talking to Omma.

“Are you feeling better?” Omma asked as she took my hand.

“I am Omma. Sorry for making you worried.” I said and she gave a weak smile.

“I’m glad you’re alright…” She said before letting go of my hand. “… go on for dinner. You can’t skip another meal.” Omma said before pushing the both of us out of the house.

“What do you want to eat?” He asked as we walked hand in hand.

“It’s already so late. I think most of the shops are already closed.” I said. It was close to 10pm already.

“I know of a place.” He smiled as we walked back to my house and got into his car.

When he stopped the car, he stopped at a very normal looking neighbourhood. He turned off the engine and came over to my side to open the door for me. Taking my hand, he led me to the place which he wants to go. We walked really slowly and I looked around, realizing that I have never been here before. After coming to Korea and staying here, I have never really went around Seoul on a decent tour.

“Oh Donghae!” I heard someone said and it snapped me out of my thoughts. We were in front of small shop and an old lady smiled at Donghae as he gave her a hug. She looked at me with her smile pinned on her face.

“What a beautiful young lady. Is she your girl friend?” She said and Donghae smiled with a slight tinge of redness on his cheeks.

“Come on in. You two must be hungry.” She walked into the kitchen to prepare some food for us.

“You come here often?” I asked and he nodded his head.

“Last time after late shifts, my colleagues and I come here for supper on occasions, but sometimes I would come and accompany her when I’m feeling down.” He looked down and I could see the slight sadness in his tone.

“The food is here.” She chirped happily as she placed the food on the table and all of them looked delicious.

“Is she the girl you told me about?” She asked as she put on her glasses, looking at e before looking at Donghae. He nodded his head. So his definition of being down is when the thought of me?

“You’re really pretty, just like how Donghae described.” She smiled and I thanked her.

“So your dream came true.” She said and Donghae smiled before holding onto my hand.

“You’re lucky. I still have kimbap left. Donghae told me so much about you. He told me how much you loved Kimbap.” She placed her hand on top of mine and I looked at Donghae.

“I’ll leave you two alone. I have to prepare some things.” She said before she entered the kitchen again, leaving us alone.

Looking at the food on the table, I realized most of them were my favourite food when I was in Korea. I still loved them now.

“It must have been hard on you…” I said as I Looked at him. “… waiting for me for 7 years, not knowing when I will return.” I said and he could only give me a weak smile.

“Here. Try it. I think it’s as good as your Omma’s one.” He said as he placed a piece of Kimbap on my plate. I placed it in my mouth and it was really delicious.

Throughout our late Dinner, Donghae told me how he would come here almost every day back then, drown himself in soju and the Halmoni would look at him worriedly and as time passes, he and Halmoni became close and instead of drinking, he would share with her and she was a good listening ear.

After realizing how late it was, we went to look for Halmoni who was preparing to close her stall.

“Thank you for the delicious meal.” I said and Donghae took out money to pay.

“Aigoo. Not so much.” She told Donghae and only accepted 10 000 won (around $10).

“Halmoni~” He whined, but it didn’t work.

“Here, take this.” She said and passed us a bundle. “when you’re hungry, just heat it up and eat.” She said and there was a lot of food.

“We can’t accept this. It’s too much.” I said and she just smiled.

“These are actually leftovers which could not be sold. So just take it. If not, it would go to waste.” She said.

“At least let us pay for it Halmoni.” Donghae said.

“Just come more often and accompany this old Halmoni and I would be happy.” She said.

“We most definitely will.” I said and he waved us good bye as we made our way back to the car.

“She’s really nice.” I said.

“When you grow old, you’ll be as nice as her.” He said.

What a cheeky boy.

End of Soobin’s POV