16

My Hero (Discontinued)

 

Jaejoong POV

 

I cringed when my alarm started ringing, I fumbled around and ended up pushing my phone off of my bedside table. I was so tired that I could barely open my eyes, but the thought of having just accidentally killing my phone forced me awake. I stumbled across the room to the light switch, flicking the light on and looking back to see my phone perfectly intact on the floor. Checking it once, I decided it had survived the fall, so I headed out to the kitchen to fix myself a cup of hot, steaming coffee. I really needed the caffeine; after all, I hardly slept the night before. I spent half the night tossing and turning, that last text message had left me with an awful feeling in the pit of my stomach and even now, I still felt queasy and anxious. I knew it was probably some sort of prank or something, but each message had seemed more real than the one before, and now whoever it was was telling me to check the news. I had a really bad feeling about this, and I knew I would probably regret listening to it, but I was curious, and I had to know what the person meant by asking me to check the news.

 

After I had downed the entire mug of coffee, I proceeded to take the longest shower I’d had in years, just trying to stall for time. By the time I was dressed, I’d been awake for over an hour and the other guys were just starting to wake up. I grabbed my laptop from my desk and plonked myself down on my bed, tapping the trackpad lightly as I waited for it to start up. As I opened the browser and typed in the address of the most reliable and efficient news site for Korean entertainment news, my heartbeat began to quicken and I could not decide if I wanted to check the news or not. I closed my eyes as I waited for the page to load and opened them only a minute later. I went numb as soon as I read the headlines.

 

Lee Jaeki: Nation’s angel? Or average ?

 

My hands were shaking and a million thought were running through my mind as I scrolled down to read the article. My first thought was that it was obviously just another false report, like all the articles regarding dating rumours between Jaeki and other celebrities. As I read the article, I felt my anger rise gradually and soon I was seeing red. At the end of the page, I saw something which made me snap.

 

It was a picture of Jaeki, sleeping, obviously not wearing any clothes, covered only by a white duvet. That would not have been as bad, but that was not all that was shown in the photo. There was a guy beside her, lying on his stomach with his face facing away from the camera. His was shown clearly and he had one arm draped over the duvet, where Jaeki’s waist would be.

 

I sat unmoving for five whole minutes, before a knock at my door jolted me from my thoughts.

 

“Hyung! Hyung, are you awake? Do you want to eat breakfast?” Junsu called out from outside my room.

 

I pushed my laptop away and grabbed my phone, wallet and car keys from my bedside table. I threw on a grey hoodie and yanked my door open, pushing past Junsu who stared at me in shock. After pulling on a pair of black boots, I headed out the front door, slamming the door behind me. I ignored the questioning glances that the other guys sent my way and headed down to the carpark. Grabbing a pair of dark sunglasses from the glove compartment, I put them on and was about to start the car when someone tapped on my window. Looking outside, I saw Yunho standing there with his characteristic ‘leader-glare’, which implied that I would have hell to answer to if I didn’t speak with him at that very moment. Cursing in my head, I rolled down the window and stared at him.

 

“Where do you think you’re going? We have dance practice in two hours and we need to be getting ready.” He asked me, in that annoying tone he used whenever he felt the need to assert his rights as leader of the group.

 

Narrowing my eyes, I replied curtly, “Ion Entertainment”, before driving off and leaving him standing in the middle of the carpark, still in his pajamas, with a confused look on his face.

 

End Jaejoong POV

 

Yunho POV

 

I was still confused when I got back to our apartment. Why would Jaejoong be going to Ion Entertainment?

 

The place was completely silent when I got back, and the three others were not in the kitchen, where they were when I left to go after Jaejoong.

 

“Changmin-ah!” I called out.

 

“Hyung, we’re in Jaejoong-hyung’s room. I think you should take a look at this…” Changmin replied, his voice trailing off at the end.

 

I walked into Jaejoong’s room to see the three of them sitting on his bed, huddled over his laptop.

 

“Guys, seriously? Don’t sit on his bed, he’ll slaughter you when he gets back. Also, why are you guys on his computer? Respect his privacy-“ I started to lecture them, but Yoochun shushed me, cutting my sentence off midway.

 

I glared at him and he flipped the laptop around so that the screen was facing me. My heart stopped and I could feel the anger bubbling inside me as I read the news article.

 

I couldn’t believe the article. It was saying all sorts of awful, nasty things about Jaeki. Obviously it wasn’t true. Jaeki was the sweetest girl I’d ever met, and she was probably one of the best things that ever happened to Jaejoong. Unlike his past girlfriends, she was actually genuinely nice and we all liked her. That photo at the end of the article had to be photoshopped or something, there was no way she was sleeping around. She was only 17 years old, for goodness sake!

 

Suddenly, everything clicked.

 

Jaejoong went to look for Jaeki. No wonder he said he was going to Ion Entertainment. Ohhhh nothing good is going to come out of this… I bet Jaejoong is completely out of his mind right now, his last two girlfriends HAD cheated on him after all… As much as he loves her, his first instinct must have been to believe that she was being unfaithful… I just hope he doesn’t do anything stupid.

 

End Yunho POV