1

My Hero (Discontinued)

 

“Now, introducing the newest rising star, Lee Jaeki!” Kang Hodong announced to the guests and viewers of ‘Strong Heart’.

 

The applause was so loud, with the occasional cheers here and there, and I felt like my heart was going to explode as I greeted everyone. This was what I had always dreamed of. Moreover, I was sharing the stage with some of the biggest stars in South Korea, including three members from the group that I had completely idolised as a child.

 

Dong Bang Shin Ki.

 

Just being within a five-metre radius of them was… Wow, it was something I would never have dared to imagine, but it was happening right now, for real. Not only that, but my ultimate bias, who inspired me to become a singer, was sitting right in front of me. It took all the self-control I had to not start fangirling over him. I was so stressed out, because I could not afford to mess up in front of him.

 

As the filming progressed, I started to relax a bit. Obviously, I was nervous since this was my first appearance on a variety program since I made my debut two months ago. I had been on ‘Star King’ a couple of years ago, when I was in elementary school. I doubt anyone would remember, or even if they did, I was certain that they would not recognise me.

 

Soon, it was my turn to speak. I had prepared what I hoped would be a great story. It was about what, or rather who, made me decide that I wanted to be a singer.

 

“’Thank you, DBSK’?” Lee Seunggi read out what was written on my blackboard, which resulted in a loud and elongated “oohhhhhhhh” from both the guests as well as the studio audience. “Jaeki-ssi, what did DBSK do that made you feel thankful towards them?”

 

Immediately, all eyes were on me and I could sense that every single person in the room was anticipating my response. I had to make this good. I could not mess this up. Not when he is sitting right in front of me. Kyaaaaaa oh my God what if there’s no response from anyone? I would just die of embarrassment.

 

“Well, truthfully, my childhood dream was to be a ballerina,” I started nervously. “I had no intentions of entering the music industry until I was fourteen. That was around the time that my best friend introduced me to DBSK’s music.”

 

There was a mixed reaction after I said that, some people ahhed in understanding while several others oohed in amazement.

 

“So, you’re saying that it was DBSK who inspired you to become a singer?” Kang Hodong asked me, just to clarify.

 

“Well, yes, sort of,” I replied. There was silence as people looked at me in confusion. “As in, it wasn’t exactly the group that made me want to be a singer. Rather, it was just one member,” I continued shyly as an involuntary giggle escaped my lips.

 

Straight away, there was an uproar on the set. Everyone was screaming and the audience was chanting ‘who is it?’ at the top of their voices.

 

Kang Hodong silenced the audience before turning back to me and asking, “Let me ask you this first. We are going to ask you who that member is, but first let’s narrow down the choices. Is that member here today, on the set?”

 

I nodded slowly, taking care to keep my eyes away from the beautiful man in front of me. Again, uproar in the studio. The three members present widened their eyes and smiled.

 

Lee Seunggi then stated, “Ah, it’s not Micky or Xiah then,” which was met by laughter from everyone.

 

“Okay, so now we have narrowed it down to either Max Changmin, U-Know Yunho, or Hero Jaejoong!” Kang Hodong started. “Jaeki-ssi, who was the one who made you decide to become a singer? Ah, Jaejoong-ssi is drinking water now, he seems to be expecting something!”

 

My cheeks were scarlet as I gestured slightly towards the man in front of me before covering my mouth in embarrassment, giggling shyly again.

 

Immediately, he started choking on his water. Oh my God that was adorable.

 

The response from everyone was deafening. Oh God. I can’t believe I just did that. So embarrassing.