Odds

Deceiving

There were traces of a weak sunlight intruding the room through a visible gap between the curtains. They weren’t enough to coax him into leaving the comfortable spot though. Those arms firmly grasping onto him annihilated with any willpower he had – it was warm, comfortable, reassuring; everything he craved for.

On his nape, there was the presence of a warm breath softly caressing his skin, such a wondrous sensation. Ryeowook cautiously rested his hands over Kyuhyun’s that were loosely placed around his waist. A particular low sound of metals coming into contact attracted his attention, causing him to finally notice the object surrounding his finger.

“I believe you perfectly know its meaning.” Suddenly, the detective huskily muttered, causing the younger to widen his eyes – Kyuhyun purposely placed the gold band on such a meaningful finger – the right 4th finger. “A promise ring…” amidst his flabbergasted state Ryeowook managed to murmur, mind turning blurry because of his confusion.

Kyuhyun most certainly knew about the younger’s predicament, thus the need to compel the latter into making a decision. “I… don’t think I am allowed to wear this while being committed to someone else” Ryeowook was clearly troubled as he couldn’t be unfair to any of them, but it was rather impossible lately.

“Then reject one of us…” Kyuhyun finally confronted Ryeowook with the dreaded subject. “… Someone is bound to end up hurt by you.” The older finished his sentence while his lips lingered on the surface of Ryeowook’s neck – although the other was confused, he obviously had higher odds than Sungmin. After all, the younger did confront his fiancé for Kyuhyun’s sake.

Ryeowook automatically flinched by the thought of him hurting someone on the process – it was never his intention to do such a thing, even though he still held a grudge to what Sungmin did previously. While nearly surrendering to Kyuhyun’s tricky actions, Ryeowook awoke from his daze, remembering his fiancé’s messages – he needed to wait, Sungmin was about to end the task given.

“Please, give me two days” Ryeowook blurted out wanting to properly talk with Sungmin before he could reach a decision that would define his future relationships. Disappointment with the answer filled his features, even though Kyuhyun already expected such answer.

Shaking off that bothersome feeling, Kyuhyun forced a smile on his lips. It was an attempt in order to detach him from what he indeed felt – never would the stubborn detective admit the growing feelings he had for the younger. “Time is running out” Kyuhyun simply stated as he remained in the same position, deciding to stop with the teasing. It was true, time would eventually run out – 6 months might sound a bit far from the current time, but it would pass in a blink of an eye.

“This ring was chosen especially for you – us.” Kyuhyun muttered as he grasped the younger’s fingers, intertwining with his. Ryeowook sheepishly smiled at Kyuhyun’s finger with the same gold ring around it – on the band contained many symbol of infinite intertwined one with the other.

“Want to skip lunch with my parents and go on a date?” the detective suddenly proposed after a long silence establish between them. The younger shifted on the mattress, turning around to face his lover. “Don’t you think your parents will be mad?”

“We can buy them something as an apology.” Kyuhyun leaned forward, gently kissing Ryeowook’s forehead. Nodding, the younger simply wrapped his arms around the other’s waist, comfortably enjoying the warm embrace before they had to leave – or perhaps before everything vanished, becoming a past memory.

--------------------------

Both were wandering around a brand shop specialized in decorations with the sole purpose of finding a present for Kyuhyun’s parents – they couldn’t return in the evening empty handed. The place was filled with refined glasses. In that particular area there were many stunning glasses sculptures.

Due to Ryeowook’s distracted nature, they got separated. There was a tortoise glass sculpture that attracted the latter’s attention, once he was about to reach for it, a woman interrupted him by saying.

“I am sorry sir, but I request for you to refrain from touching this fragile sculptures, since you might break them. There are cheaper shops nearby where you are allowed to touch the items with your filthy hands.” The attendant rudely warned him, obviously judging him by his appearance.

Before Ryeowook could have a proper reaction, Kyuhyun stepped in. “Is this young man bothering you, lady?” he charmingly questioned her, causing the attendant to immediately blush. Ryeowook narrowed his eyes at the lady who seemingly was attracted to his lover. The jealousy bud was surely blooming into a horrendous form.

“N-no need to help, Sir. I can take care of this.” Stuttering she dreamily gazed at the man before her. Kyuhyun surely knew the girl’s nature – she was such a pest. It was a pain to act politely, but the young detective had to keep with it. However, he was pleasantly surprised when Ryeowook pulled him by his tie, hastily pressing their lips together. The woman’s expression fell immediately as she watched the scene.

After they separated from short the kiss, the attendant grabbed a speaker, infuriated from the glance sideways she received from the younger – he had a victorious expression written all over his face. The impulsive action did appeal to the older, successfully making him speechless.

“I am so sorry, Sir! I’ll call security to get rid of him for you!” She was about to turn the device on, until Kyuhyun recovered from the shock expressing a melodic laugh – it was so entertaining to deal with the situation using this awkward way created by Ryeowook. The woman stared at him astonished with the reaction.

Instead of giving her a reply, he held Ryeowook’s slim waist firmly, leaning down to kiss his lover deeper. Ryeowook gasped, but still replied to the kiss. Afterwards the public display, as the younger was recovering his breath, Kyuhyun turned to the lady who was having difficulty to process the amount of information.

“Don’t worry about it. My lover and I shall leave this place then. If I were you, I’d be more careful before judging by appearances.” Kyuhyun’s smile vanished as it turned into a menacing glare. The woman froze as she watched the two figures leaving the shop with fingers interlaced.

While they were walking on the packed sidewalk, Ryeowook was intently watching the floor with a gloomy expression. “Why are you sad?” Kyuhyun caressed Ryeowook’s cheek with his thumb.

“Am I unsuitable for you?” The younger lifted his eyes, staring directly at the older. Kyuhyun was impressed by such beauty mixed with innocence under the pure white snow softly falling. “If you were unsuitable, you wouldn’t be presented with that promise ring” the young detective assured Ryeowook by squeezing lightly the latter’s cold hand, warming it up only a bit.

Kyuhyun wondered if Ryeowook regretted going out with him instead of being with his fiancé. Such thoughts actually bothered him – why Ryeowook had to foolishly care about the one who betrayed his trust so many times? Paying a sideway glance, he noticed doubts written all over the younger’s features.

It hurts.

Would Ryeowook pick Sungmin over him just like Henry did?

Inwardly, he sighed. It was too obvious for him already – there was no use to deny it anymore. The younger’s mind was a mix of confusion as he felt rotten on the inside – he needed to reach a decision before he would broke down completely.

“Ryeowook” Kyuhyun stopped on his tracks, making Ryeowook watch him questioningly. The next words uttered by the older made Ryeowook's eyes widen in surprise, worsening his confusion.

“I think I love you too.”