Chapter 4

Don't Worry, I'll Always Be Here

 

HOMEWORK. NEED TO DO HOMEWORK. OH WELLS~

Hwayoung walked out of her last period before lunch, hands clasping onto her bag handle. She always hated lunch, or going to the cafeteria at all. It’d been going on for a few months already, but she always felt left out at the table.

               It was natural for INFINITE to sit with them, and Hwayoung gradually accepted that fact. What she hated, so, so much was that she was the only girl that didn’t have a connection to any of the guys. All of QUEENS were able to bond with one of them and talk for hours, while Hwayoung just sat there.

               It didn’t help that none of her friends wanted to talk to her, either. They had exactly eight girls, but there was always a group of three. And all the little sub groups continuously neglected Hwayoung.

               What was worse, worse than ever, was what had happened today.

               Everybody was already in the cafeteria, and Hwayoung could literally feel the people surrounding her before she even opened the door. The QUEENS and INFINITE’s table was in the way back, meaning that she had to walk through an entire sea of people .

               Though, of course, they always backed away as if she were Moses. The sound of her heels click-clacking wasn’t too evident against the loud noises, so nobody heard her as she approached their table.

               Hwayoung stared, not sure what she was supposed to do. From one side, Jiyeon, Areum, and Qri were on Jiyeon’s phone looking something up (cell phones were obviously not allowed, but since they hung out with Ryu Hwayoung, who cared?). Eunjung and Soyeon eating and talking about some new shopping mall and how it sold the not-in-yet shad of lip gloss. Hyomin and Boram were checking each other’s makeup, once in a while laying on some pieces for the other.

               From the other, Woohyun and Sunggyu were doing their homework, momentarily stopping to check if each other had gotten it. Dongwoo was leaned on Hoya’s shoulder, eyes closed, but obviously not sleeping due to the fact that occasionally, Hoya would shove some food into his mouth (and he didn’t choke and die). Sungyeol was sitting there studying, reading out of some humungous textbook with Myungsoo clinging to his waist and reading as his head was on Sungyeol’s shoulder – and Hwayoung could swear she saw Jiyeon’s crush nibble on the choding’s ear.

               She sighed mentally, because how on earth was this not gay but Sungjong was? Oh, no, Jiyeon had managed to convince the entire school that this was just very intimate bromance.  Very…very intimate.

               “Hwayoung, you’re here!” Areum looked up as she realized her friend that had been standing there for the past few minutes. “Why aren’t you sitting…oh.”

               Having caught the attention of the twelve other students, they realized that there weren’t any more seats at the table.

               “Oh!” Jiyeon feigned an (obviously fake) look of hurt. “That …you probably have to go sit at another –“

               “No, me and Myungsoo can go somewhere else,” Sungyeol quickly interrupted. He stood up, having Myungsoo unravel themselves from each other, and picked up his bag. “We have to study for the test later, anyways.”

               Just as they were about to leave, Jiyeon grabbed Myungsoo’s wrist. “What? No – you don’t have to go! Hwayoung can go somewhere else, right? Hwayoung?”

               Not wanting to answer, Hwayoung stayed quiet. Jiyeon just rolled her eyes and said, “Or you can stay here! Sungyeol can go study by himself, right?”

               Jiyeon shot Sungyeol one of her ‘right’ looks, and Sungyeol clearly felt the shivers down his spine. “Um, yeah, I guess I –“

               “No!” Myungsoo cried, pulling his wrist away from Jiyeon. “I wanna go with Sungyeol hyung. And besides, we already ate. Hwayoung can eat now.”

               Myungsoo shot Hwayoung a little smile, which she didn’t dare to recuperate in case Jiyeon saw and would plan to murder her.

               Her head looked to the ground, but before she knew it, Dongwoo was pulling her arm and leading her to the empty chair, Myungsoo and Sungyeol were gone, and Jiyeon was sending her evil, evil looks.

 

Sungjong sighed, eyeing the empty hallway. He could hear the fun and excitement going on in the cafeteria, but he didn’t dare walk in. The last time was probably…last year? And he’d been plummeted with random pieces of food that he wasn’t too fond of.

               As he walked outside the school to his usual place to sit and eat lunch, the only thing on his mind was Hwayoung.

               She was a strange girl, alright. Not the first to think that he was female, and definitely not the last. But the thing was…she didn’t seem like she hated him. She sat down, actually talked to him without cussing him – but even more importantly, she seriously wanted him to talk back.

               But he knew…she was in that lame-o girl clique. She was popular. He was not. She was important. He was not.

               Even with the things as simple as those, and adding the fact that she had such influential friends, Sungjong was practically 100% sure that Hwayoung would think of him the same way the entire school did.

               So much for being different…or actually having a friend.

               Sungjong sighed at the sad realization and pushed the door to the outside of the school open, only to gasp and step back horrifyingly.

               What’d he just see there?

               He looked through the window again just to make sure that he’d seen correctly, and sure enough, he did.

               Sungjong ran away as fast as he could before anybody could realize he had been there, and collapsed over a row of lockers.

               Hypocritical es and s.

 

:3 woo~ :) HEY GUYS. I'M AT 10 SUBS. LIKE. THAT'S TWICE AS MUCH AS I'D EXPECTED. YOU GUYS ARE THE BESTEST PEOPLE EVAR. ♥