Chapter 15

Don't Worry, I'll Always Be Here

 

woooo~ actually a pretty long chapter 'cause I didn't update yesterday OUO it's Friday, guise~!! ^^ YAY TIME TO STAY HOME WHILE EVERYBODY'S OUT HAVING FUN. (crappily written chapter because it's Friday and I'm moping at home alone.)

The first person that Hwayoung had came upon that day was Sungyeol, sulking around in the corner.

                “How’d the mall outing go?” she asked quickly, scanning her eyes around to see if any Queens or Sungjong was around the corner.

                “Mall outing?” Sungyeol’s eyebrows flew up in confusion until he finally realized what she was talking about. “Oh. Right. The one with Jiyeon and backup.”

                For a second, Hwayoung regarded what Sungyeol was saying. Jiyeon and backup? Was that what everybody thought the rest of the Q’s where? Jiyeon’s ‘backup’?

                “We didn’t go,” Sungyeol said, bringing her mind back to earth.

                “What?” Hwayoung’s left hand dived over to grab the latch of her bag, looking at him strangely. “You and Myungsoo didn’t go? Why?!”

                “Didn’t feel like it,” he shrugged. “Myungsoo said something about being mad at himself so we just finished our plan instead.”

                “Wait – hold. Mad at himself? What happened? And what plan?” Hwayoung knew that if Sungyeol didn’t want her to know anything, he wouldn’t have mentioned it in the first place. So he had to tell her what was going on.

                “For setting Sungjong up with Ren,” Sungyeol told her. “Then the plan to break them up.”

                Saying that all at once, he knew, contradicted everything. The blank look on Hwayoung’s face told him so.

                “Break them up? Why would you want to break Jongie and Ren up?”

                “Um, because you like him? I’m pretty sure we both know that.” He gave her a little knock on the shoulder, though her expression was still totally bewildered.

                “But…I don’t like him!”

                “I’m Sungyeol. And Sungyeol knows everything.” With a tight smile on his lips, he bent down to her height, saying, “Sungyeol also tells his boyfriend everything. So now both Sungyeol and Myungsoo know. You can’t hide it forever, Hwayoung.”

                “B-but…I’m not that obvious!” Hwayoung cried, slipping out of her daze.

                “You’re an idiot,” Sungyeol sighed, standing back up. “Look –“

                “Good Lord, Sungyeol, it’s Jiyeon!” Hwayoung screamed, interrupting him midsentence. “Hide me!”

                “What –“ Before the rest of his question could be pulled from his mouth, Sungyeol was turned around and staring straight at Jiyeon, who was walking in his direction. He could feel Jiyeon’s hands clutching his backpack, scrawning herself down to hid behind him.

                When Jiyeon approached him, he was still wondering how she couldn’t see the other girl hiding behind him. But then he figured out why – she was boiling mad.

                “Where. Were. You,” she demanded, her eyes blazing over with that red hot stuff that demons usually had. Her sunglasses were out, poking at Sungyeol’s exposed chest.

                He stayed silent, blinking around behind her to see if anybody besides little-miss-scaredy-cat-Hwayoung could save him.

                “No, let me rephrase that, since you obviously didn’t get it the first time. Where was Myungsoo?”

                Hwayoung felt her knees shaking, her mind desperately trying to persuade her body that there was no way she’d allow Jiyeon to see her. Though the more quiet Sungyeol got, the harder Jiyeon concentrated on him, thus seeing the fact that he actually had four legs.

                And two of them weren’t covered by long pants.

                “Hwayoung?!”

 

Sungjong scanned his room one more time just to make sure he wasn’t forgetting anything. Satisfied, he put on his jacket and went downstairs.

                He made sure not to have any of the lights on, knowing that his parents would be mad at him if he wasted any more money on electricity bills, and went to start walking out the door.

Just as he opened it, Myungsoo was standing before him, shifting back and forth on his heels.

                “Hyung?” Sungjong cried, stepping forward to close the door behind him. “What’re you doing here?”
                “I…” Myungsoo breathed in again, stepping off the patio and onto the sidewalk. “I need to talk to you.”

                “Talk to me? About what?” Sungjong followed, the two of them starting on the road that led to school.

                “You and Ren,” the older answered, though the last name was stuck in his throat a bit and had to be forced out.    

                “Me and Ren? What about me and Ren?”

                “You  know that…Ren’s gay, right?”

                Sungjong stopped in his tracks, looking sideways at his hyung. “Um…yeah, I kinda figured that out a while ago.”

                “That’s not how it was supposed to come out!” Myungsoo groaned, grabbing onto his head. “How do I say this…you know your boyfriend’s a guy, right?”

                “…Yes, hyung, I do.”

                Myungsoo tried thinking of a better way to put it, though he couldn’t. This was why he never talked to people in public by himself, he was just totally horrible at it! That’s why Sungyeol was always here beside him doing the talking, not Myungsoo!

                But he knew, it was his mess, he had to fix it up somehow.

                “What I mean is…Sungjong, you like guys, right?”

                Convinced that Myungsoo couldn’t get any worse than he already was, Sungjong took the initiative to begin walking again. “Yes, hyung.”

                “Are you…by any chance…willing to go out with a girl? Or bi, at least?” Myungsoo asked, his voice about forty octaves higher.

                Sungjong stopped again, throwing his hands in the air. “What’s with everybody asking me that question?!”

                “’Everybody’? Who else did?” Myungsoo got a little closer, willing to hear any explanation that Sungjong had.

                “A while ago, Hwayoung did. Wait – no, don’t tell me, you’re friends with that girl too, right?”

                “Girl? What girl?”

                “Hwayoung’s friend?” Sungjong searched Myungsoo’s face for any recognition. Nada. “You know…the one that has a crush on me?”

                Myungsoo couldn’t think of any of Hwayoung’s friends beside the Queens, and none of them could barely even stand being within four feet of Sungjong.

                “I don’t think I know who you’re talking about,” Myungsoo nervously admitted.

                “Never mind then, I didn’t think anybody would.” Starting to walk again, Sungjong fiddled with his fingers. “Then why’re you asking me that?”

                Other than wanting to know whether or not Sungjong would ever go out with Hwayoung, Myungsoo couldn’t think of anything. “Just…curious.”

                “Curious?”

                “Wanted to make small talk.”

                “So you came to my house…without Sungyeol…for ‘small talk’?”

                Biting the inside of his mouth, Myungsoo knew that Sungjong figured out that something was up. First of all, he was never apart from Sungyeol or else…this happened. And nobody ever liked this happening.

                “…You know, thought I’d bond with you,” he cleared his throat. “Because, like, we never hang out with school. ‘Cause…you got Hwayoung…and all that…”

                Myungsoo paused for half a second, thinking something up in his mind. “Yeah, about Hwayoung too. What do you think about her?”

                “Hwayoung?”
                “…Yeah?”

                Sungjong nodded, saying, “She’s really sweet. And nice. And really pretty. She likes eating sweets a lot, but for some reason, she doesn’t get fat.”

                Yeah, Myungsoo reckoned, that was probably something only Lee Sungjong would notice. “You went to visit her, right? The other day when she was at home sick?”

                “Oh, yeah, me and Ren went.”

                Him and Ren.

                Myungsoo should’ve seen this coming.

                “…What…what does Ren think about Hwayoung?” Myungsoo pushed from his gut, daring himself to ask the question.

                And somehow, just somehow what he predicted was what Sungjong said: “He doesn’t like her too much.”

                “Oh, really? Why?” Myungsoo asked cautiously, for they were just arriving at the school.

                “Because she’s one of them.”

                “One of them?” This time, Myungsoo stopped completely, turning to look at Sungjong square in the eye.

                “You know. The Queens. The type of people that walk around basing us 24/7 as if they had nothing better to do.”

                “But Hwayoung isn’t like that!” Myungsoo cried, wondering about how many times he had to stress that out to people, especially Sungjong.

                “I know that, you don’t have to yell at me! I’m just saying, Ren.”

                “Ren?” For as long as they’d known each other, which was pretty long, Ren was never somebody to care about what other people thought of him. If there was anything Myungsoo could learn about the guy, it was that. “Are you sure? Is there some…other reason, maybe, as to why he doesn’t like her?”

                “Not that I know of, no,” Sungjong shrugged.

                Myungsoo wrinkled his nose, waiting for something to click in his mind like it did in Sungyeol’s. He waited a bit more, thinking instead.

                Ren was smart. He was also an observant boy, too. Myungsoo hated to admit it, but sometimes the kid could be even more watchful than Sungyeol.

                And if Sungyeol managed to figure it out in that little span of time…imagine how quick Ren would’ve figured it out.

                “Hey, what’s going on over there?” Sungjong asked a few seconds later, snapping Myungsoo back.

                The older boy followed Sungjong’s eye gaze, looking over at the people in the far left corner. It was a somewhat abandoned part that nobody went to, but so far, there were about three.

                And two very familiar people, one Myungsoo would be able to recognize anywhere and another Sungjong would.

                “Quick, write something on this piece of paper for me!” Sungjong rushed, throwing Myungsoo a piece of paper and a pen that he’d just grabbed from his pocket.

                “What?”

                “Long story short, Jiyeon isn’t too happy with Hwayoung, I don’t want anything happening to her, alright? Just write and do what I tell you to!”

 

“Please?” Woohyun begged, forcing his eyes to go fourteen times larger than they usually was.

                Stifling a laugh at how funny his boyfriend looked, Sunggyu shook his head. “Look, Hyunnie, I told you a million times already. I’m not getting you it just because you want it.”

                “I don’t want it, I need it!” the younger shouted, frustrated with the hours of attempting to persuade Sunggyu for it. “You should’ve seen it, it’s so pretty and can predict the future –“

                “It’s a ring, Woohyun.”

                “Fine, it can’t predict the future, but it’s still pretty cool! Please, Gyu? Please?”

                “Seriously, where’s your money?”

                Woohyun sideglanced at the jacket he wasn’t even allowed to wear because it “blocked the school’s uniform”. “…Here.”

                “You’re horrible, you know that? Sometimes I think you’re only dating me for my money.”

                Stopping at the corner, Woohyun turned to Sunggyu and said, “If I tell you it isn’t and act a billion times sweeter than I already am, will you?”

                “Woohyun –“

                “Hwayoung?!”

                Freezing at the angry voice that had interrupted him, Sunggyu looked up at Woohyun. It was the amazingly well-known voice of the .

                “What happened –“

                Sunggyu shushed Woohyun, pulling him back so that the two of them could see what was going on around the corner without being recognized.

                Hwayoung was standing half behind Sungyeol, her hands tightly clinging onto his backpack and her head poking out from Sungyeol’s shoulder. Jiyeon, fuming, glared at her.

                “What do you think Sungyeol’s doing there?” Woohyun whispered quietly into Sunggyu’s ear.

                “I don’t know, but it doesn’t look good. Besides, he’s never apart from Myungsoo. Except for that one day when the kid was missing.”

                Woohyun nodded, looking back at the awkward scene set before them.

                “H-hey Jiyeon…did you…ever figure out who Myungsoo liked?” Hwayoung asked, her voice thickened with fright.

                “Doesn’t Myungsoo like Sungyeol?”

                “Shh!” Sunggyu hissed at his boyfriend, pulling him down .

                Jiyeon flashed a signature y smile, her eyes converting over to Sungyeol. “Why don’t you tell her the answer to that, Sungyeol?”

                “W-what?” he asked, his voice shaking. “Y-you mean…that we didn’t go to the mall on Saturday?”

                “Exactly!” Jiyeon snapped. “He didn’t come, so I couldn’t be as subtle as I wanted to!”

                The words stung Hwayoung, her mind going back to Saturday and how she messed up horribly.

                “Listen, Hwayoung –“

                “Um, excuse me?” an overly-timid voice intruded on Jiyeon’s threat. The whipped herself around, glaring at the boy.

                “What do you want –“

                “Myungsoo wanted to give this to you,” the boy raced, handing her the piece of folded up paper. “I don’t really know why.”

                Immediately, her facial expression softened as she reread the paper about a trillion times. She turned her head back to Sungyeol and Hwayoung and said, “When I’m back, you two will be more jealous than ever.”

                As she walked away, Sungyeol stuck out his tongue and asked, “Why the freak would I be jealous of her?”

                “And what’re you even doing here?” Hwayoung breathed out, letting go of Sungyeol’s backpack and walking over to the strange person.

                “Thought you needed help,” he shrugged, smiling. “She didn’t look too happy.”

                “She isn’t too happy,” Hwayoung rolled her eyes, taking a step closer to throw her arms around the boy. “She’s going to kill me later, I just know it.”

                Laughing against her hair, the identity-unknown human being slowly patted her back, making slight eye contact with Sungyeol.

                “Wait, who’s that?” Woohyun hissed, deeming it a good enough time to talk. His eyes looked down at Sunggyu, who just shrugged.

                “Her new boyfriend?”

                “No…she would tell us if she had one…” Biting his lip, Woohyun thought harder. “What’s going on?”

                The two of them staring at each other, they could only come up with the conclusion that they had no idea.

 

When she got to the rooftop, all Jiyeon could see was Myungsoo’s back facing her, the wind softly blowing through his hair.

                Making her way to him, the note that was in her hand began to go against the wind. She let it go, not once thinking that she was actually littering and therefore ruining the planet and killing everybody.

                “Hey,” Jiyeon said quietly, walking over to sit next to him on the edge of the building.

                “You actually came?” Myungsoo replied, though it wasn’t exactly a question.

                “What’d you think? I wouldn’t?”

                “No…” He sighed a bit, looking down at the busy city below them. He knew that in any second, if either of them were pushed off, somebody would die. Myungsoo had to sit on his hands to tempt him not to do so. “I just…want to talk to you.”

                “Yeah?” Jiyeon asked softly, her eyes still hovered over with daze.

                “Can I?”

                “Just speak,” she nodded, smiling.

                “…I grew up not really caring about anything, you know? As that one kid who always sat in the corner by himself.” Myungsoo cleared his throat, thinking about how he was actually the most popular kid in kindergarten due to his multi-pack of combined crayons, markers, and colored pencils. “I didn’t…I didn’t think I had anything to live for.” Pfft. Yeah right. The day he met Sungyeol in pre-school, he knew he was in love.

                Jiyeon kept quiet, knowing that he was going to keep speaking.

                “I didn’t think anybody would dare like me either.” Myungsoo had a sad smile on his face, looking up at the sky. “I was just that…that person. Didn’t know crap. Judged by everybody. Nobody cared.” Uh, yeah, nobody being everybody in the world, and everybody being Sungyeol only.

                “I care,” Jiyeon suggested, looking from bottom up. She reached out to hold Myungsoo’s fingers, but realized that he was sitting on his hands.

                “I was never sure of myself, never confident enough,” he continued, completely ignoring her answer because he honestly didn’t know how to reply to it. “I just figured…what’s the point of even trying to do something if you’re going to fail?”

                “You shouldn’t think like that, Myungsoo. We all need to try and see what –“

                “But I told myself, I kept telling myself over and over again…I need to do it.” Do what, Myungsoo didn’t really know, he was just trying to find ways to fill up this conversation. “Then I met the person.”

                “The person?” Jiyeon asked, her cheeks slightly twinkling with pink. She had a hunch who this “person” was.

                “More perfect than…a…um…sunrise.” Sue him, he wasn’t a romantically poetic person. “Wherever they walked, roses just seemed to form beneath their feet.”

Yeah, if that included Sungyeol tripping over them, too.

                “It wasn’t hard for me to fall in love,” he said slowly, his smile beginning to form into a slightly happier one. “Nothing could make me fall out of love. I was a young, naïve boy, I didn’t even know what  love was.” Yeah, young being in pre school. “I just knew that it was love, and…I still am in love.”

                “Really now?” Jiyeon looked over at him, her supposedly beautiful smile making him want to puke. “Mind telling me who that…‘person’ is?”

                Myungsoo turned around, standing up to pat her on the leg. “Nope! Thanks for listening anyways!”

                And with that, he ran out and down the stairs to his real love and soon-to-be-lovers-but-not-yet-because-he-messed-up-and-was-totally-obilivious-and-they’re-both-somewhat-idiots. 

 

I'm sorry. I just couldn't help adding in the Myungyeon+commentary. it just. i just. it was too tempting :3

think of it as a stereotypical kdrama confession. except it ain't a confession. because nobody really wants to confess to the bish.

LOL the beginning of that was actually supposed to somewhat be the starting of the Myungyeol confession in HMS (might not even be one LOL) but I decided to bring it over here and tweak it just a bit for Myungyeon.

WELL THEN KAY HWAJONG'S SOMEWHAT PROGRESSING THEY HUGGED IN PUBLIC.

HEY. I ADDED WOOGYU. WHAT NOW. WHAT NOW.

no seriously guise don't litter it's bad for our planet and it's gonna kill all of us includng your kpop idols. so don't be like jiyeon. don't litter.

KAY THEN BYE GUISE HAVE A GREAT FRIDAY<33 ^^

[[c:6]]