Chapter 24

Don't Worry, I'll Always Be Here

 

LOOK I UPDATED BECAUSE IT'S WINTER BREAK AND URGH. will rant later. but this chapter's a fail and I don't know why really.

“You’re kidding!” Sungjong squealed when his mom told him the news.

                 “Nope,” she laughed, opening her arms wide so her son could jump into them. “He’s coming back, Jongie.”

                “Yes, yes, yes!” The teenage boy screamed. “I haven’t seen Kwonnie hyung for years! He’s staying with us, right? I can share my room with him, and –“

                “Ah,” his mom said, still smiling as she held her son’s shoulders. “He’s bringing along Zico hyung, too, so they’re going to sleep in your father’s old work room.”

                At the mention of Zico’s name, all the blood in Sungjong’s face seemed to just decapitate. “What…what did you just say?”

                “Yu Kwon’s bringing Zico along, too,” his mom said, not noticing the upset look overtaking her son’s face. “You remember Zico, right? His little brother?”

                Sungjong could literally feel his face go pale, and his hands found his phone, the only connection he had to Hwayoung at the moment. “How could I forget him…”

 

“Are you being serious here?”

                “Completely,” Hwayoung’s dad nodded.

                “Urgh!” she groaned, kicking the chair across from the headmaster’s desk before plopping down onto it. “What even! You’re not supposed to go into school halfway through, you’re not going to make any friends and nobody’s going to like you! Seriously –“

                “I checked his profile, though. He’s the head…well, no, he was the head of his school’s soccer team. He’ll fit in somehow.”

                “But why do I have to help him around?!”

                “…Well for starters, you’re my daughter –“

                “I never chose to be your daughter!”

                “ – And I need to have a good show in front of his parents, they’re known to be sponsors of his old school, and if they know that I have a wonderful and helping daughter –“

                “All lies,” Hwayoung muttered.

                “ – Then they’ll agree to sponsor the school! You can be the role model student, and they’ll believe that all the other students are like you, so of course, they’ll love this place!”

                Hwayoung sneered at her father, pulling her cell phone out of her pocket. “I’m going to tell Sungjong about this. And he isn’t going to be too happy, because you know what he doesn’t like new kids.”

                “No, I’ve talked to him. He loves making new friends,” her dad smiled back.

                “We’ll see about that,” she huffed, opening her speed dial to Sungjong’s number. She waited a good while, maintaining eye contact with her father until her familiar boyfriend’s voice rang through.

                “Youngie?”

                Shifting her eyes at her dad, Hwayoung said, “Sungjong. Help me.”

                “Help you?” Sungjong laughed, though she could feel his voice was lacking a rhythmic feel to it. “What’d you do now? Wait, hold, who’d you kill now?”

                “I didn’t do anything!” She shrieked, kicking the front of her dad’s desk. “But ing Gawd –“

“Don’t cuss!”

“ – Listen to me Sungjong, my dad wants me to lie –“

                “Not lie, it’s called being kind to people –“

                “ – To the people that could potentially help this school. Apparently I have to fake my entire personality –“

                “No, Hwayoung, you’re just being polite –“

                “ – And taint my innocence with sins of lying like that,” Hwayoung finished, not caring that she’d interrupted every bit of every sentence her dad was trying to say. “Can you believe that?”

                On the other line, Sungjong chuckled. “You’re confusing me right now, Youngie.”

                “Ugh, well, long story short some guy’s coming to our school and his parents are, like, rich asses –“

                “Don’t cuss!”

                “ – And he basically wants me to up to them and pretend to be some stuck up kid.”

                Sungjong paused for a moment before saying, “I don’t see the problem in that.”

                “Oh my Gawd!” Hwayoung growled. “You , Jongie –“

                “Technically yes, but now that I’m with you, I can’t really –“

                “GOODBYE.” Hwayoung pulled the phone away from her ear and ended the call, staring at her father incredulously. “You happy? Are you happy now, Father? You just recruited my best friend into your little minion group of kissing people’s asses –“

                “Hwayoung.”

                “ – And I’m not going to tolerate this, I swear, all of these people are lame butts with a ton of money that they won’t give to people unless the people are nice or whatever because they. Are. Butts.”

                “…I take it that this is your daughter, Headmaster Ryu?” a woman’s sharp voice lingered from behind Hwayoung.

                “Oh my God!” A second voice, a rather manly one laughed. “Butts! You did not just call us butts! Mom, you have to sponsor this school. It’s just too awesome.”

                Hwayoung could feel her nails break from clutching the chair alone.

 

Sungjong laughed at his phone when his girlfriend had hung up on him, smiling as he shoved it into his back pocket. He’d been happy all day, because when he woke up this morning, he remembered that his favorite hyung was going to be there when he came home!

                The grin visibly faded away, though, when Sungjong thought about the other half of this deal.

                Zico.

                More than anything else in his childhood, even more than his own father, Sungjong could remember Zico. The boy was the same age as Sungjong, possibly even a few months older, but he was perfect at everything. He could do everything. Anything that Sungjong wasn’t able to do, he could do it, and anything Sungjong could do, he did it better.

                Yu Kwon, Zico’s older brother by two years, was Sungjong’s best friend. He was also Zico’s best friend, and that was the bond that Sungjong had to the same-age boy that lived next door.

                Yu Kwon always pushed Sungjong to be best friends with Zico and vice versa, but there was no way Sungjong would agree with that.

                Zico loved him like a brother, that was a given fact. But Sungjong didn’t. Zico scared him; whenever they were near each other, Sungjong’s heart would just keep pounding until it felt like he was going to pass out from a heart attack. Whenever their skin made contact, Sungjong would heat up about everywhere and grow bright red until everybody thought that he’d gotten sick.

                As a kid, Sungjong never understood what happened to him, but now he knew. It was the same problem that he’d gone through with Ren, and was currently going through with Hwayoung.

                He had a crush on Zico. And not a normal one, a big, big, massive one.

                It was stupid because the first time Yu Kwon and Zico moved away, Sungjong was bawling like no end, but the two brothers assured him that they were going to come back. And to make it even worse (or was it better? Sungjong wasn’t too sure right now), his mom had insisted they live with them because a house of two was lonely.

                He didn’t think about it for too long, but now, Yu Kwon and Zico were really coming back. And he had a girlfriend.

                So why were his palms still getting sweaty at just the thought of the older boy?

 

“I’m Zico.”

                “I know,” Hwayoung hissed, clenching her phone tightly in her left hand. She was nearly positive that there would be marks left when this outing was over.

                “Ah-ah, you better be nice, my mom’s watching,” he whispered into her right ear. “And you already made a bad impression on her, you don’t wanna make another one.”

                Eyes half-lidded, Hwayoung breathed in and out, telling herself that no, she didn’t need a knife just yet. But there was one in the staff lounge just in case.

                She finally completely opened her eyes to stare at the sun – the fact that she was outside, walking this kid around was infuriating her to no end – and at the boy.

                Okay, she admitted, he was pretty cute. But that’s where it ended, he was cute. Girls would fawn over him to no end, but Hwayoung wouldn’t, because in her book, nobody could beat Sungjong.

                Sungjong. If he were here, he wouldn’t teaser her like Zico was. He would gratefully take the tour and smile sweetly, possibly even handing Hwayoung a lemon candy when it was over.

                Or maybe he wouldn’t, considering how they met, after all.

                “Aww, what’s with the icky smile on your face?” that annoying voice sing-songed out loud. “Thinking about me again, aren’t you?”

                Hwayoung gritted her teeth in frustration, reminding herself that his mother and her father were in the office right this moment, looking out their window and watching the two students.

                Yeah, I’m thinking about killing you, she answered in her mind.

                When she didn’t answer him in real life, though, Zico asked, “What? Am I great enough that I leave you speechless?”

                “You are a self-absorbed jackass.”

                “Not really,” he shrugged, walking over to stand in front of her. “I can be really sweet sometimes, too. The perfect boyfriend.”

                And with his face smack before her, Hwayoung literally believed if somebody gave her the radius of his face, she could find the area of it. It was just that round.

                “Not interested,” Hwayoung huffed before backing the other way and walking on.

                “Oh, c’mon, we both know that –“

                “Shut up,” she hushed, stuffing her palm into his mouth without even turning around to look at him. “Sungjong’s here! Ugh, finally somebody here to save me!”

                “Sungjong?” Zico asked, spitting out . “Who’s – “ He looked on at the side of Hwayoung’s head to the figure walking towards them.

                “Ah.” A smile played on his lips, looking nothing like the overjoyed one on Hwayoung’s. “Sungjong. I remember you.”

 

hehehehehehehehehehe. who else predicted that. c;

it's actually a love triangle. that goes alllll the way around. in a triangle. 

well hey guise I've dubbed Zico as sleeping coconut. Because zico -> zi-zi co-co -> z z coconut -> sleeping coconut

so from now on. zico shall forever be the sleeping coconut.

and hwayoung's the young flower. because 'hwa' is pronounced the same as 'hoa', a word in viet that means flower. so i dub thee the young flower.

and jongie will forever be the lemon boi.<3

look guise no myungyeol or myungyeon in this chappie

TWO DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS ARE YOU ES PREPAREEDDDDDDDD. <3 ugh it's so awk when you drive through our neighborhood because all the houses have lights and it's like WOOHOO RANDOM HOUSE THAT LOOKS LIKE SOMEBODY DIED IN IT. yeah no fun. 

well long a/r's shall stay forever long. goodbye es. hurhur I feel funny right now.

sorry for the fail chapter i just i'm so tiredddddd. *makes whiny, incoherant noise*

[[c:9]]