Chapter 23

Don't Worry, I'll Always Be Here

 

“Don’t be mean.”

                “I’m not being mean, I’m being honest.” Sungyeol stopped himself from continuing, then said, “Naw, that’s too nice for her. She’s, like, the ultra, mega- that just kills everybody’s soul with her staying alive –“

                “She’s coming.”

                “Oh, hey Jiyeon!” Sungyeol cooed, standing up. “Haven’t seen you in ages, how do you do?”

                Myungsoo stepped on his boyfriend’s foot to prevent the older boy from blabbering anything else that could’ve come from an old British movie.

                “Myungsoo!” Jiyeon cried, hopping a little on her feet and completely ignoring Sungyeol. “I figured it out.”

                “Figured what out?”

                “Who you like!”

                Sungyeol snorted, choking on his own spit and causing Myungsoo to kick at his ankle once again.

                “You were really romantic with everything,” Jiyeon giggled, “but you didn’t need to do that. A simple confession would’ve been perfect. I’m not one to expect much.”

                Clutching onto his chest, Sungyeol had to stop himself from going to gag in the corner and dying.

                “R-really?” Myungsoo stuttered, slowly nodding. “Well then. Uh. That’s very stealthy of you. To uh. Have figured that out. Um, class is starting and I don’t think you belong here –“

                “Oh, no worries, I’ll just get Hwayoung to cover for me!”

                Myungsoo swore a bone in his neck just cracked at the reminder that this girl standing right in front of him was using one of his best friends, one of the people he genuinely cared about, all while lying to her face.

                “Wow, you really find the best ways to tick him off,” Sungyeol muttered under his breath.

                “Excuse me?”

                Oh, so now you decide to pay attention to me.

                “Nothing, nothing, just hit my foot against the desk,” he lied. When she turned back around, he rolled his eyes. “.”

                “So, Myungsoo, I was thinking about going to that new jewelry store down the street –“

                “I’m busy.”

                “Oh, that’s fine, how about tomorrow, then? We could go to the new café, too, I heard it sells really good –“

                “I have plans.”

                “Then next week?” It didn’t take a genius to see that the infamous Park Jiyeon was beginning to get desperate.

                “How about you go with Hwayoung?”

                “With her?” Jiyeon rolled her eyes, hitting her palm against the edge of the desk. “You’re kidding, right? And why her out of all people –“

                “She’s nice. And really sweet.”

                “Oh c’mon, she’s a –“

                “You’re a ,” Myungsoo corrected. “The kind that nobody likes or really wants anything to do with.”

                Nothing, ever, could satisfy Myungsoo more than the priceless look etched on Jiyeon’s face.

 

More than anything, at this very moment, Hwayoung wanted to go and bury herself in a hole.

                Who cares if she’d die. Who freaking cares. She would do anything, anything, to get out of Gym the next period.

                It helped the slightest bit that Sungjong was in her class, but when she couldn’t even interact with him without being screwed over, that didn’t do much.

                See, that was another part about him that seemed strange to her, too. Hwayoung, like half of the female population in the entire world, had her fair share of Korean dramas and Japanese mangas.

                This was the part where the boyfriend/girlfriend would get fed up and say something threatening like, “if you don’t choose me over your friends, we’re breaking up because I’m not important enough for you”.

                It seemed logical to her because, yes, it was. It also exactly fit her situation because if she was willing to hide the fact that she was going out with Lee Sungjong to the most loved girls in the school, it mean that he wasn’t important enough for her, right?

                Wrong, because he was, he was the world to her (that, her family, Saturdays, and ice cream [not that she really wanted any more to do with that]) and she’d do anything to steal his bullhorn that he had taped up in the corner of his room, run throughout the school, and scream “I LOVE LEE SUNGJONG~!!”

                The only problem, the only thing keeping her from doing so, was Sungjong himself. He’d convinced her that he was perfectly fine with being in the shadows because he, unlike Hwayoung, didn’t care. As long as he was happy, the world could break out in full and he wouldn’t care.

                Hwayoung knew why, obviously. Popularity and her reputation were things that Hwayoung was more than proud of. She knew half of it had to do with her father being the Headmaster, but it was just something that made one feel good about themselves. She embraced it.

                She was still hated and used and permanently destroyed by the rest of the QUEENS, though, she knew that. And that brought down the good feeling she had.

                Sungjong, more than anybody, knew that if their relationship was exposed, her reputation would completely plummet down until there was absolutely nothing left of anything.

                Either way, no matter how she thought about it, it was literally her reputation up against Sungjong. She didn’t want to choose, but what made it worse was the fact that Sungjong pushed her to do the wrong thing instead of what any other selfish boyfriend would do.

                “…You look sick.”

                “I look fine,” Hwayoung insisted, forgetting the stupid thoughts going on in her mind.

                “What’s wrong?” Sungyeol asked, leaning against the wall as Hwayoung put her clothes into her outside locker.

                “Nothing’s wrong.”

                “Something’s wrong.”

                “Well, you’re wrong.”

                Shaking his head in disagreement, Sungyeol put his hands into his gym shorts. “You look terrible right now, I’m not even kidding. What’s going through your mind?”

                “Sungjong,” she mumbled back, taking her lock and closing it onto the latch.

                Sungyeol stayed silent for a few minutes, trying to figure out what was bad in this. He couldn’t think of anything.

                “Well, if it makes you feel any better, Myungsoo managed to destroy the today.”

                “…? Oh good God, don’t tell me, Jiyeon?”

                “Who else?”

                Hwayoung threw her head back, groaning. “And my life proceeds to get worse.”

                “Worse? What happened before this?”

                “Nothing,” she snapped, turning around and walking towards the Gym. Her eyes subconsciously floated to Sungjong standing in the corner by himself, sliding his fingers on the edge of the basketball cart.

                “Why don’t you talk to him?”

                “Gee, I don’t know, because everybody in the entire ing class would see and I’d get killed by Jiyeon!”

                “Her mind’s too occupied on Myungsoo’s pre-dating rejection,” Sungyeol shrugged. “She’s not even here – she was crying in the bathroom just a few minutes ago.”

                A horrified look passed Hwayoung’s face as she asked, “And how the freak do you know that?!”

                “What? It’s not my fault they leave the door open.”

                “You’re not supposed to look into there! There are two bathrooms marked ‘girls’ and ‘boys’ for a reason, Sungyeol –“

                “Don’t mind Sungyeol, he’s always an idiot,” Myungsoo interrupted, latching himself onto Sungyeol’s right arm as he came up to the two.

                Immediately, Hwayoung’s attention reversed to the shorter boy. “Thank you for stating the obvious.”

                Myungsoo shrugged, saying, “And another obvious, your boyfriend’s standing by himself over there.”

                “I’m very well aware of that, thankyouverymuch,” Hwayoung hissed. “I just –“

                Before she could get another word from , Sungyeol’s hand was wrapped around her elbow and she was dragged to the opposite corner of the Gym where, surprise surprise!, Sungjong was standing.

                “You. Him. Now. We’ll keep everybody else distracted,” Sungyeol said, smiling that little sheepish smile of his that ensured Hwayoung he’d keep everybody more than just distracted, and pulled Myungsoo back to where everybody else was standing.

                Hwayoung just smiled at him, shrugging her shoulders. “This is like the first meeting all over again, isn’t it?”

                “Except I hated you. Though I don’t know if that’s changed just yet – hey, I was kiddng!”

                He still laughed, though, that pretty little laugh that nobody else could have, when his girlfriend hit him on the shoulder.

 

oh the cliche battle of reputation vs. significant other. i'm loving this. and myungsoo. you go glen coco boi.

asdfghjkl WELL YAY. it's 12/12/12 today~ woo! bahaha did any of you guise actually time for 12:12 to come? I didn't .___.

well it's almost Christmas! (not really) but I'm scrolling through my facebook and 96% of it is like Christmas tree photos and i'm honestly sitting here wondering, is my house the only one that doesn't have a Christmas tree up? and no lights either. no i'm not kidding if you drive through our neighborhood, ours is like the dungeon house and there're a ton of bright lights exploding from everywhere else. how about you guise c:

omfg and I took my sister for a doctor's appointment (correction, we walked because apparently she had to lose weight before she got weighed) and we found out she's not even 5 feet yet. my family is full of short people LOL

WELL OKAY A/R IS LONG SO GOODBYE. HAPPY...WEDNESDAY ^^ 

[[c:9]]