Chapter 19

Don't Worry, I'll Always Be Here

 

I think my definition of double update kind of isn't right. LOL kiddang~

SO LIKE IT'S DONGWOO'S BIRTHDAY AND LIKE THANKSGIVING AND LIKE YEAH.

AND LFJSDKCHSDKLFHAKSDJFNASJDHFASKA DID YOU GUYS SEE THE HWAYOUNG ZICO THING LIKE GAHHHHH WHAT HAPPENED TO MY HWAJONG. okay whatevers they weren't even shipped BUT WAEEEEE. UGH. UGH. UGH.

“…What on earth does that even mean?”

                Hwayoung just drooped her shoulders, rolling her eyes at him. “You like me, don’t you?”

                “Of course I like you, you’re one of my best friends –“

                “No, not like that!” She cried, frustrated. If anything, she refused to be friendzoned. “I mean, like, you like me. As in the same way that I like you.”

                With that, Sungjong immediately snapped up and looked at her in this weird, hypnotizing way. “What are you talking about?”

                Hwayoung felt her tongue move all around her teeth, swallowing before replying, “You…like me, don’t you?”

                Sungjong snapped his eyes up, his bottom lashes moving up to narrow his eyes. He didn’t have a way to reply, he couldn’t really even think of a way to reply.

                “Sungjong…” Hwayoung said nervously, playing with her fingers. “I know this is stupid, but I don’t know what to do. I’ve…read so many things, watched so many shows where the guy breaks up with his girlfriend because he went gay. I don’t…I know that you said you were bi –“

                “I’m not bi,” Sungjong interrupted quietly.

                “And –“ She stopped, giving him a weird look. “But you said that – that you had a crush on Eunjung once! You told me –“

                “I lied,” he shrugged. “You just…it seemed right to.”

                Hwayoung felt the tip of her tongue poke out as she her top lip, trying to keep calm. “So you’re telling me that you lied to me about your ual preference. Why, exactly? Do you know how much that brought up my hopes?”

                “Don’t give me that,” Sungjong said, looking at her from head to toe. “You lied to me too, alright? I’m not stupid, Hwayoung. Your ‘friend’ that has a crush on me? That’s real smart of you, Hwayoung. Real smart.”

                Her heart seemed to just stop pumping, staying frozen in place as her face went completely pale. “That’s why…you were so quiet…the lie…”

                “Yes, the lie, I’m glad you realized. I’m also very glad that I’m not trustworthy enough for you to tell the truth to.”

                “I did tell you!” Hwayoung hollered back a minute after she flinched. “I told you! Like, what, not even an hour ago? I told you that I liked you, more than a friend, and you just completely ignored me.”

                “Yes, but that doesn’t change the fact that you still –“

                “God, it was a little white lie, okay? I’m my close friend, she’s my close friend, I’m her! It doesn’t change anything. You…what were you even trying to do, make me feel even more insecure than I already did around Eunjung?!”

                “More…insecure…what?”

                “I would’ve understood if that wasn’t a lie,” Hwayoung cried, shaking her head to keep tears from falling through. Good gawd, she was being way over dramatic at the point. “Any guy would like Eunjung, it’s obvious, she’s gorgeous. But for you to go and lie that you once liked her, especially to me, who has this major crush on you, how do you think that makes me feel? If she’s the only girl you’d ever like, imagine your standards! I’m no match for Eunjung, no matter what I try to think. You think I don’t know how the bash me behind my back? Areum even admitted it, alright? I know I might not be good enough for you –“

                “You’re not,” Sungjong blankly interrupted.

                Hwayoung was about to continue but instead looked him straight in the eye. “I’m what?”

                “No, I mean, you aren’t. You are good enough for me, no matter how weird that sounds, okay? Eunjung…I never liked her, I never will. I won’t ever, after what they did to you. It’s just…you’re you, I’m me. Why…why on earth would you like somebody like me?”

                “The same reason you would ever like somebody like Ren,” Hwayoung plainly answered, ignoring the pang to her heart that reminded her that he liked Ren, not her. “Because with you, it’s like I have a real friend. Somebody I can scream at and cuss to and not be scared that the next day my reputation will go tumbling down. I just don’t care anymore, and it’s pissing me off because I can’t be with you no matter how much I want it to happen and you can’t be with me because God knows you don’t even have any romantic intentions with me.”

                Sungjong sat still for nearly a minute, hoping that Hwayoung wouldn’t stand up, push him away, and walk out the door.

                “Think of it like Myungsoo and Sungyeol,” Hwayoung began slowly. “The only person Jiyeon would every think of having a steady relationship with is Myungsoo, but he’d gladly throw that all away just to be with Sungyeol.”

                She took a good look at Sungjong before saying, “The only person I would ever think of having a steady relationship with is…you. I’d gladly throw away everything, my reputation, my grades, everything if I could just be with you. But in my case it just isn’t possible, and I’m not blaming you for it. I was just too late, that’s all.”

                “Too late?”

                “I’m not too late, I mean, it’s just…you were always like this, right? There’s always those guys that prefer to be the girl in the relationship than the guy, that prefer to have another guy in the relationship than a girl. I don’t want to ruin that preference of yours because of my petty feelings.”

                “Petty feelings?” Sungjong was at a loss, his mind was just in this huge abyss that he just couldn’t seem to get out of. “Your feelings…aren’t petty.”

                “But I’m a girl. And I swear the last thing you’d do is go out with a girl.”

                Sungjong tilted his head a bit, slowly reaching over to tap the back of Hwayoung’s left hand. “I don’t know, I wouldn’t go out with just any girl. Maybe only Ryu Hwayoung.”

 

*cough* we shall not talk about how weird this chapter is okay.

it was so weird for me to write this, I don't know why LOL. I'm so used to writing, like, "Oh, I know you're straight and you'd never go out with a guy." I don't think anybody ever says what Hwayoung said LOL

not the right place to rant about Dongwoo but chu know what THANKSGIVING.

I think it's the right time to thank you guys so effing much for being here, I'm honestly so thankful for you guys :3 this is one of my less known/subbed stories but I have SO much fun writing it and, honestly, the ratio of upvoters to subs it the highest amongst all of my fics (i'm a math person okay so don't blame me). whenever one of you comments and say that you love this story, I honestly get so freaking jiddy and I swear I just jump around for hours. 

oh and can I show you guys something.

this has been brought to my attention a while ago by my dongsaengie on AFF

but DOES EUNJUNG LOOK LIKE A YEOLJONG LOVE CHILD OR WHAT.

LOOK AT IT. LOOK AT IT CAREFULLY. SHE IS LITERALLY SUNGYEOL AND SUNGJONG SMASHED TOGETHER. I AM NOT KIDDING YOU. LOOOOOOOK AT ITTTTTTTTTTT. she looks more like sungyeol, BUT WHO CARES.

i don't ship yeoljong i swear (okay fine troublemaker kinda aksnfakjshf'd me a bit) BUT C'MON LOOK AT HER. UGH.

kk that's all for the a/r ^^ hope you guys have an awesome day~ 

[[c:7]]