Chapter 21

Don't Worry, I'll Always Be Here

 

Sungjong stared from his phone to the girl before him, the only words falling out of his mouth being, “When on earth did you do this?”

                Hwayoung’s smile seemed to fall as she rolled her eyes. “That’s not the important part, you idiot. The important part is –“

                “You took my phone, didn’t you? When you said you were giving my number to that girl –“

                “Uh, hello, that girl, me?” Hwayoung raised her eyebrows, motioning her hands through her body.

                The boy was left dumbfounded for a second, thinking about it. “Oh yeah…but still, you said you weren’t going to do anything funny!”

                “Um, I don’t know about you, but I thought that was pretty smart –“

                “Smart? How would you feel if a random person called you and the number was, like, “Don’t Worry”? It’s creepy, for Pete’s sake!”

                “But I didn’t even call you!”

                “What if you did, that would’ve been so awkward for me –“

                “Well I didn’t!”

 

Sungyeol felt his upper lip recoil from disgust, glaring into Sungjong’s window like the creeper he was. “They’re absolutely horrible.”

                “I don’t know, I kinda think they’re cute,” Myungsoo shrugged, sitting against the trunk of the tree that was planted in front of their younger friend’s house. He gave up, a long while ago, at trying to drag Sungyeol home.

                “They’re supposed to be cute after they get together, not before! They look like they’re some old married couple –“

                “That’s good, right?”

                “ – That’s about to get divorced or something! Honestly!” Sungyeol growled, turning around to face Myungsoo. “And –“

                “Mind being quiet, we’re trying to start a relationship in here.”

                Turning around, Sungyeol could only glare at the slightly open door, with Sungjong’s head sticking out. “Starting a relationship my foot, all you guys are doing is –“

                “We’re your reality check,” Myungsoo said, sitting up. He walked over to Sungyeol, grabbing the taller boy’s arms and holding them behind his back figuring that maybe if Sungyeol was too busy trying to get his hands out of Myungsoo’s, he wouldn’t start complaining again.

                “Reality check?” Sungjong asked, genuinely confused. Hwayoung’s head slightly popped out from on top of Sungjong’s, to which the younger bow jabbed her in the stomach to get down.

                Ren, Myungsoo mouthed before pulling at Sungyeol’s arm and dragging him away.

 

“Should I call him? No, that’s stupid. He’s probably being tutored right now and I’d just get sent to voicemail. I don’t wanna leave a voicemail, that’d be stupid and turn into some Joe Jonas – Taylor Swift crap, but I don’t want to leave a missed call sign. Should I call and then, like, steal his phone and delete the missed call if he doesn’t pick up? I know where the spare key to his house is, it’s under the rug beside that wretched gargoyle –“

                Hwayoung only kicked her best friend’s leg, hoping that he’d shut up from it. She was still facing the ceiling, her arms floating before her as she scrolled through her phone reading nonsense from different websites.

                Sungjong was seated at his usual spot, the foot of his bed. Which now he realized wasn’t too good of an idea because he was very vulnerable to Hwayoung’s vital kicks.

                “Hey, hey, hey Sungjong,” Hwayoung giggled, still looking at her phone while the boy rubbed his hurt thigh.

                “What?” he snarled back.

                She laughed a bit more to herself before saying, “Is it just me, or are circles pointless?”

                The confused boy froze before rolling his eyes in complete pain. “You…why…what are you even reading…”

                “You get it?” She snorted before dropping her hands down, sighing at the ceiling. “Because circles are round, they don’t have any points –“

                “Yes, Hwayoung, I get it.”

                Hwayoung just laughed her embarrassment away, bringing her arms and phone back up to keep reading her horrendous jokes.

                Sungjong, though, kept looking on. Watched her occasional smile, knowing that she desperately wanted to share a corny joke with him but didn’t, because she knew he wasn’t the kind to enjoy them.

                Somewhere in the corner of his little heart, Sungjong knew that she was perfect in her own stupid little way. Not maybe to other idiotic people’s eyes, but to his own.

                Before Hwayoung could look away from her phone and question him as to why he was staring at her so creepily, Sungjong got off the bed and grabbed his jacket from his desk.

                “Hey – Sungjong!” She sat up, locking her phone before throwing it to the side. “Where’re you going?”

                Slowly glancing to the heart necklace hanging on the thumbtack of his bulletin board, Sungjong reached over to grab and pocket it. “I’m going to fix something. I’ll be back with –“ He paused for a moment, because he was about to say ice cream, but stopped. “I’ll be back with food. If my mom comes home, just say I let you in. Good?”

                Hwayoung had a tugging feeling in her gut, telling her exactly where and why he was leaving and leaving to. “…Okay…”

                He tossed her another little smile, those ones you gave little kids that begged for candy but when you were virtually candy-less, and left the room.

 

When the bell rang, the last person Ren had expected to come was Sungjong.

                “What’re you doing here? I thought you were going somewhere with Hwayoung,” he said a little after the two just simply stared at each other. Ren looked around his boyfriend, just to make sure the girl wasn’t hiding in any bushes to surprise attack him, then back at his main focus. “And she’s not here.”

                “Um…yeah,” Sungjong coughed, scratching the side of his head. “I…I wanted to talk to you about something.”

                “Something?” Ren asked innocently. “I guess so. Come in –“

                “No,” the older boy nervously interrupted, fidgeting his feet. “I think it’s better if I say it here and right now.”

                “Um…okay?”

                Sungjong breathed in, balancing on his back heels. “Remember…remember when we went to the café down the street the other day? And then we saw the poster of the Eiffel Tower where they said the coffee was imported from?”

                “…Yeah,” Ren answered slowly. “From France…”

                “Right.” Sungjong took another deep breath, and resumed to talking. “And remember how I said it’d be great to go there someday with my lover? Then we decided we’d go together?”

                Even though this could’ve seemed completely romantic to a third person outside the drama circle, Ren had a bad feeling about it. “…Yeah…”

                “Well I…” Sungjong cracked his neck, rummaging through his brain to figure out something that seemed right to say. “I think I found a better person to go with. Somebody that I think I was really meant to go with.”

                Oh God, he’s breaking up with me, isn’t he? Ren thought, blinking profusely to force any and every tear away. “Just tell me who. I have a feeling I already know.”

                “…Hwayoung,” his ex-boyfriend managed to say. “Hwayoung.”

                Ren felt something build up in his throat, as if he were about to throw up, but then it disappeared just as quickly as it had come. It was relief, if anything. If Sungjong dared to dump him for anybody, Ren would make sure it’d be for somebody who cared for him just as much as little Rennie did for him.

                “Well, I’m happy for you,” the 17-year old shrugged, too occupied with holding a sturdy figure to wipe away the tear that fell out from his left eye. “I mean it, really. I’m…happy. She’s a nice girl. A really nice girl.”

                “She is,” Sungjong smiled. “She is really nice.”

                Then the two resumed to what they had been doing a few minutes ago, just standing and staring, Ren doing whatever he could not to break down in front of his entire neighborhood and Sungjong trying to muster up every bit of courage he had to do the last thing he’d meant to do, then run back home to Hwayoung.

                “Here,” he finally said. Digging into his right pocket, Sungjong pulled out a sparkling silver chain with a black, red-bejeweled heart charm dangling off one corner. “I figured…I thought it’d be best to give this back to you.”

                “Don’t,” Ren blurted out. There was already a plan forming in his mind to burn everything Sungjong gave him, he didn’t want to burn this, too.

                He stepped the nearest bit he could towards Sungjong, hesitatingly laying his fingers on the necklace. With another short breath, he brought it up and into Sungjong’s open palm.

                His hand laid there for the as long as he could without seeming too attached, because they both knew this was probably going to be the last time they’d ever touch so affectionately again.

                “Give it to Hwayoung,” Ren finally cracked, a smile slightly appearing on his lip-gloss tainted lips. “Tell her it’d go great with the black vest she was wearing the other day.”

                Sungjong felt the little grin become a smile comparable to Ren’s strong one. “Thanks, Ren. For everything.”

                The younger’s boy’s nose twitched into one of those cute little bunny ones that Sungjong loved, though one of the rather rare smiles he had dropped. “Tell Hwayoung’s she’s lucky. Really lucky.”

                “I will,” Sungjong said, though he wasn’t. Hwayoung would just kick him again for being self centered.

                Which reminded him, he had to go back to Hwayoung.

                “…I’ll see you around, okay?” the older boy nodded, taking a step back. 

                Ren gave him a little shake of the head, then walked back into his house. 

 

Does this mark the ending of Don't Worry?

probably c: unless jongie gets hit by a car on the way home and then becomes brain dead (huhuhuhuhu who gets my connection.) and the driver turns out to be zico who calls the ambulance and comforts hwayoung at the hospital.

bam I could turn this into a hwaco story LOL or is it ziyoung. ziyoung sounds so much better. 

OR I might continue this if you guys do one awesome favor for me.

write a hwajong story. or a oneshot. anything hwajong. and I'll continue this story for as long as you want me to~ PLEASEUUUU<3 it's pitiful being so lonely ;___; yes I'm self pitying myself okey.

oh and you guise.

is it just me, or are circles pointless?

KKKKKK LOL anybody else watch Bones here. No? oh okay then I'll stay awk by myself.

[[c:7]]