Chapter 17

Don't Worry, I'll Always Be Here

 

update, though this chapter doesn't do much justice to anybody :) and honestly, my writing skills are starting to twindle all the way down.

Sungjong was quiet for a good while, letting Hwayoung think that, yes, he did understand what she was saying, he did realize that after all this time, the only person that had been waiting for him and liking him was her.

               He wrinkled his nose a bit, bringing his left arm onto his knees. “…What, you thought that I thought you didn’t like me?”

               That phrases stayed stuck in her mind for a good while, and Hwayoung slowly shook her head. “No…I just…you…I like you.”

               What Hwayoung was saying, whether she thought so or not, was going into Sungjong’s brain. He just thought of it in a different way.

               Was he really that unconfident with himself and so obvious about it that Hwayoung had to remind him that she really did like him and didn’t just hang out with him for the sake of him not being lonely? Because, really, he didn’t think he was all that pitiful.

               “You don’t understand, do you?” Hwayoung said blankly. Her fingers twiddled on the grass below her, pulling the occasional leaf off. “I didn’t think you would. Nobody ever does anyways.”

               “Understand what?”

               “I like you, Sungjong. As in…how…you and Ren like each other. I know, I get it, you would never think of me like that anyway but…you just have to understand for me, okay? I just need to tell you that. I don’t need you to say it back, or even think about me the same way, just…I had to let it out.”

               Sungjong just blinked at her best, no, that wasn’t what he was thinking about. That wasn’t even close. He was more leaning towards the I-like-you-but-we-can’t-be-friends-because-of-my-reputation type of thing.

               But this was like an entire BOOM package on its own. Hwayoung liked him. She actually liked him, and it wasn’t because she felt pity of him. It was because she liked him.

               “You like me?” His voice, which was already super duper high, went even more up. “Me?”

               “…Yeah, that’s what I said.”

               Sungjong knew what Hwayoung said was true because she would never, ever lie to him about anything, especially not this.

               And that’s when it struck him.

               “She would never, ever lie to him…”

               She wouldn’t, and why? Because she liked him. Ryu Hwayoung liked him, Lee Sungjong, and for some stupid reason he was absolutely in no way grasping onto that fact properly.

               “But…why…me?” Sungjong halted, the words hadn’t come out as he expected them to. “No, I mean. Wait…no, seriously. Why me?”

               “Why not?” Hwayoung asked, her voice soft. “You’re nice to me. Not just Infinite-Oppa type of nice, but you actually do care about me. Or you don’t, it might be my wishful thinking. And whether you think so are not, you’re actually really good looking. And…you’re so…sweet.”

               It wasn’t anything out of the usual for Sungjong, everybody told him he was sweet. Everybody told him that he cared about them. Everybody…everybody always told him that, he knew it already.

               But when Hwayoung said it…

               He did care about her, alright? He was sweet with her, Sungjong was very well aware of those facts. But they way she said it, and the way she pointed it out, he was just so much more aware to how he was leading her on.

               Not that he was leading her on. No, that sounded stupid, he wasn’t ‘leading her on’, he was…was it being too nice? Sungjong had lived his life believing that nothing was too nice, but he was starting to doubt it sometime around now.

               “It’s only 9,” Sungjong said abruptly, standing up. “We still have time, let’s go hang out at my house or something.”

               “What…?” Hwayoung looked up, seeing that he had already stood up and was walking away without her.

               She followed foot, knowing that she’d done something wrong.

 

“This is my house,” Sungjong sighed, lazily throwing open the door as he walked in. Hwayoung just blinked a bit, not sure if she was supposed to walk in or stay outside.

               “You gonna come in?” He asked, raising his eyebrows at her as he turned his head around.

               Hwayoung didn’t utter a word, just walked in and closed the door behind her. She watched as Sungjong just walked up the stairs, leaving her alone to stand in the living room.

               His house wasn’t as big as Hwayoung’s (she didn’t think any of her schoolmate’s houses were, to be honest) but it was definitely more kid-friendly. It had this thick, homey feeling to it that just allowed you to fall asleep anywhere you wanted and it wouldn’t matter.

               The place smelled really good too, which was a bonus. It was like a mixture of desserts with an actual meal, making Hwayoung feel as if she was in the school cafeteria or something – a cafeteria that actually sold good food, that is.

               Without thinking too much of it, she sat herself down on the couch before the TV and pulled her cell phone out.

 

To: Sungyeol; Myungsoo

Well. I told him.

 

               She only had to wait about four seconds before her phone was bombarded with text messages from the two boys.

 

From: Sungyeol

WAIT WHAT.

 

From: Myungsoo

You told him who?

 

From: Sungyeol

WAIT YOU MEAN SUNGJONG DON’T YOU.

 

From: Sungyeol

THAT’S WHY YOU’RE NOT AT SCHOOL RIGHT NOW. ‘CAUSE HE ISN’T EITHER.

 

From: Sungyeol

YOU’RE WITH SUNGJONG AREN’T YOU. I KNEW IT. YOU TOLD HIM.

 

From: Myungsoo

Sungjong, right? Did he say anything?

 

From: Sungyeol

WHAT DID HE SAY?

 

From: Myungsoo

HWAYOUNG!

 

From: Sungyeol

T

 

From: Sungyeol

E

 

From: Myungsoo

HWAYOUNGGGGGG.

 

From: Sungyeol

L

 

From: Sungyeol

L

 

From: Sungyeol

M

 

From: Myungsoo

ANSWER ME.

 

From: Sungyeol

E

 

From: Myungsoo

wait sungyeol’s spamming you again isn’t he.

 

From Sungyeol:

N

 

From Sungyeol:

O

 

From: Myungsoo

okay wait just let me take his phone.

 

From Sungyeol:

W

 

From Sungyeol:

B

 

From Sungyeol:

E

 

From Sungyeol:

F

 

From Sungyeol:

O

 

From Sungyeol:

yeah he’s done.

 

               Hwayoung subconsciously smiled, letting her finger scroll through the messages. She really did love these two, just as much as they loved each other.

               She only had to give it another few seconds before her phone started ringing, and sure enough, it said Sungyeol as the caller ID.

               “Y-yeah?” She answered, not knowing why her voice was shaking so much.

               “Hwayoung?” Myungsoo said gently. There was a little screaming in the background, then Sungyeol’s voice came up.

               “Hwayoung? You okay?”

               “I’m fine…I think.” She breathed in a bit, the phone starting to slip from her fingers.

               “Where are you right now?” Myungsoo asked with that ‘we’ll-pick-you-up-if-we-have-to’ tone.

               “I’m at his house.”

               A little more screaming, and Sungyeol came. “Oh! That’s good –“

               “He’s upstairs by himself and I’m literally sitting on a couch doing absolutely nothing. This isn’t good.”

               “Well, it’s better than the thing Sungyeol was planning to do,” Myungsoo snorted.

               “That wasn’t about confessing!” Sungyeol snapped. “That was to get Ren off of Sungjong, for Pete’s sake. Get your plans correct.”

               “…You have way too many plans for me to keep intact, alright?”

               “There aren’t a lot, God! There’s only, like, sixty –“

               “Guys, my issue here?” Hwayoung said, though she was still hyped from Myungsoo and Sungyeol’s cute bickering.

               “Oh, right.” Sungyeol paused a bit with Myungsoo almost speaking, but the older boy interrupted right away. “Just go to sleep! When he comes downstairs, he’ll see you peacefully sleeping and BAM, he’ll fall in love.”

               “You’re really stupid, you know that?” Myungsoo had just taken the words right out of Hwayoung’s mouth.

               “Well you were the one that said it was a good plan! Remember, it was #42, I asked you what you thought about it and you were like ‘It sounds good’. Don’t lie to me –“

               “I obviously wasn’t listening, okay? Now back to Hwayoung and away from your stupid plans.” Myungsoo sighed a bit before making a weird sound like ruffling his hair, then a huff came from Sungyeol. “Just…give me a minute, okay? I’ll call Sungjong and see what’s up.”

               “Hey we can’t do that it’s like cheating on the two of them –“

               “Just shut up, Sungyeol,” Myungsoo growled. “We’ll call you back later, alright Hwayoung? No, let me correct that, I’ll call you back with this idiotic freak isn’t here –“

               “You’re using my phone, I hope you realize that!”

               “Yeah, okay, I’ll call –“

               “We’ll.”

               “Alright, fine, we’ll call you back later, okay, Hwayoung? Don’t stress it out too much…just…go to sleep or something meanwhile.”

               “SEE I TOLD YOU MY PLAN –“

               Before Hwayoung could hear the rest of Sungyeol’s boast, the phone was hung up and all that was left was dial tone.

               She gulped, trusting that Myungsoo and Sungyeol would talk to Sungjong (because frankly, she couldn’t without him thinking she was a weirdo at the moment). Maybe…maybe the best thing to do was sleep.

               So she went to sleep.

 

told you, no justice. *shrugs* myungsoo'll fix it up somehow :] sungjong's all messed up if that's what you were wondering lol

UGH DID YOU GUYS SEE B1A4'S LIVE STAGE YET. DID YOU. DID YOU. I NEED SOMEONE TO SPAZZ B1A4 WITH MEH. 

holy crap and did you guise see Sunggyu's piano teaser?! I was honestly screaming as loud af throughout it 'cause asdklnckjdshafjklsdhca NO WORDS OKAY NO WORDS. His piano playing...ughhh ;~; and his red hair. OMFG HIS RED HAIR IT'S LIKE UGH SOMEBODY KILL ME I DO NOT DESERVE TO BE THIS HAPPY RIGHT NOW UGH.

/listeningtojinyoung'ssolosongandscreamingatmyselfathowfckingawesomehisvoiceis

okay that's all♥ I know I say this a lot, but I PROMISE IT THIS TIME I'll do better 'cause the next time I update, I'll be on Thanksgiving break~ ^^ so time to write 24/7 and go back to my days of triple updating OUO

well I have a thing with long a/r's leave me alone.♥ it's thursday ^^ have an awesome Friday, guise~

[[c:5]] was the last chapter that bad D;

i'm still all depressed 'cause my phone decided to run out of battery midway through a phone call with the only guy that would ever call me. you see even my phone wants me to die alone with a ton of cats and kpop posters.