100th Letter of Confession : "Will you be by my side?"

100th Letter of Confession

 

The last period had ended and everyone are eager to go back home.

Several boys had offered themselves to walk Hwa-Young home but she rejected each of them. Only with the word, ‘No’. She’s thinking of walking back home together with Seori tomorrow. That’s her wish for now.

 She hoped that tomorrow will be the start of an honest friendship between Hwa-Young and Seori.

She wants to be a good friend for Seori.

When she was in front of the school gate, she realizes someone is waiting for her outside. Changmin is still holding the same book that’s he saw during recess.

                “What’s taking you such a long time to get out of the school?”

                “What do you want?”

                “I want Seori’s address.”

                “Even if I know, she won’t let me tell anyone including you.”

                “So, that means you don’t have her address?”

                “I’ll let you think that. Goodbye.”

Hwa-Young walks pass Changmin.  She won’t let anyone know Seori’s secret. Hwa-Young and Seori are having a bad family problem. Seori is poor. Hwa-Young has family problems. Someone like Changmin won’t ever understand.

                “Seori needs help, Hwa-Young.”

Hwa-Young stops. Can she trust him? Is he saying the truth?

                “What do you mean?”

                “Have you ever saw her hurt?”

                “Often.”

                “And do you know why?”

                “She told me she got into fights with the little kids next door.”

                “Have you ever wondered why it occurred often?”

                “Sometimes. I used to saw her father once. I’m scared of her father. At that time I thought that her father is someone abusive but she denies it.”

                “She was beaten up by her father that night when I found her.”

                “W-what?”

                “That’s why I want your help.”

                “B-but, I can’t tell anyone the address or her father will report my mother to the police.”

                “That man said that to you?”

Hwa-Young keep herself quiet. She never want to get involve with Seori’s father.  That’s why she never have the courage to go to Seori’s place. The first time Seori’s father threatened her had really made her  afraid. How could Seori live with someone like that?

                “I’ll help. But, what do you want to do?”

                “His father. There’s something  that I want to discuss with him.”

                “Seori’s father will only be home at around 12. But, he’ll be drunk at that time.”

                “But, Seori will not like what you’re doing.”

                “That will not create a problem for me.”

                “Then, I’ll come too. We’ll meet here at 11.30 sharp”

                “No, I’ll come to your place. No one is safe at that time.”

                “No! You can’t come to my place! I forbid anyone to come.”

                “I will go alone. You stay home, then. Give me the address.”

                “I want to come!”

                “Then stop being selfish. I don’t care what’s your family or house like.”

 

Hwa-Young pulls out a piece of crumpled paper and a pen from her pocket. She wrote something on the paper and handed it to Changmin. Then, she left.

 

 


 

 

Hwa-Young is very worried if her brother didn’t come home that night to take care of their younger siblings. She tried to call her brother  but it seems that he’s busy. Her mother hasn’t come home too. Hwa-Young was left in the house alone with her younger sisters and brothers to take care of. Coming along with Changmin that night might be a bad idea.

But, then she remembered, has Seori gone out from the hospital?

Suddenly, she heard someone enters the house. She hopes that is her brother not her mother or anyone else. Then, she heard her siblings making noises downstairs.

                “Oppa! Where have you gone?! Did you bring us something to eat, oppa? Hwa-Young-unni is going out tonight.?

Hwa-Young felt very relieved. It was her brother. She walks downstairs and greets her brother. Her brother was the complete opposite of her and he was more lovable by her siblings compared to her. Her brother had thick messy black hair and big eyes which she thinks that he’s quite good-looking. But, thinking that she have a good-looking brother, her brother might married early and left the family in her burden. She doesn’t want her brother to leave the whole family.

                “You’re going out?”

                “Yes, but with someone.”

                “He or she?”

                “Umm, he. Just a friend.”

                “Want me to you?”

                “Wha- no, no. I’ll be just fine. You don’t have to worry. Just take care of them.”

                “When will you home?”

                “Maybe 1.”

                “1 is too late, Hwa-Young. 12.30.”

                “I’ll try to come early.”

                “Can I trust you?”

                “What do you think?”

Her brother looks at Hwa-Young. He smiles and pats Hwa-Young’s head.

                “I think you’ll be just fine.”

                “I’m not trustworthy, then?”

                “Nope, not a single bit. Just be careful, okay.”

 

She really wish that her brother will not leave her one day. Something strikes her that creates a feeling she haven’t felt before. She felt save when she’s with her brother. Suddenly, she feels something around her.

Her brother hugs her.

She was shocked. That was the first time she has been hugged by someone. Her younger brothers and sisters  join the hug too. His face is very near to her that she can hear him whispered something to her.

                “Don’t show that kind of face again. I will not leave all of you.”

Hwa-young hopes that what she heard from her brother isn’t just words. She hopes that words are a promise. A promise to Hwa-Young and her little brothers.