100th Letter of Confession : "Is the truth more bitter than lies?"

100th Letter of Confession

 

                

Hwa-Young got a call from her brother that night while she’s spending time with Seori. Hwa-Young had gone straight back home after that. Before she left the hospital, she take sometime to have a little talk with Changmin.

                “Have you two become friends?”

                “Surprisingly, yes.”

                “You did realize that you didn’t gave me much help at that time, do you?”

                “I called the police, genius head.”

                “You make me happy for calling me that.”

                “People like you annoys me.”

                “You too, paranoid doll.”

                “Paranoid doll?”

                “You should think of cutting your hair a little bit. Hah… I wonder how you manage to get guys to like you. .. Don’t tell me you wrote your own confession paper and send it to yourself.”

                “Are you releasing your stress?”

What Changmin had heard from Hwa-Young just now surprised him. How did she know?

Hwa-Young saw the bruise on Changmin’s face he had been hit by Seori’s father is starting to show up. Why would she worries, he had beaten up that man even worst until one of the man’s teeth came out. He can protect people after all, this person. Changmin.

                “When people changes their behavior in a short of time meanings, that person is trying to let go of his or her stress. I thought you’re well informed, Changmin-sshi.”

Hwa-Young left after that. He looks at Hwa-Young as she walk away. That girl really makes him annoyed. Always acting like she’s good at everything and knows everything. Doesn’t she know that Changmin is older than her and more intelligent than her. He had lived longer than her. He saw Hwa-Young took out her phone from her pocket.

                “Oppa! Why did you call me? Are the children dead?”

What kind of people wants their siblings dead? That girl probably a psycho. Why did Seori always stuck with psychotic people? Her father, Hwa-Young. Is he included?


 

Changmin enters the room. Everything in the room felt the same, white walls, bright lights, beeping sounds of the monitor and Seori….

Their eyes met. None of them tries to look away. Their hearts starts moving fast. Faster. And faster.

At last, Seori looks away.

                “What do you want?”

                “You sound like your father very much. I guess, both of you are really, father and daughter, huh.”

Seori glares at the flickering lights from the window. Everything around her start to go vivid. She can’t denies that she’s her father’s daughter. A daughter of someone who had beaten her almost to death. But, being compared the same as her father was too much.

                “I guess it would have been easier for me to be beaten by death. So, I won’t go through all of this things in my life. I don’t even know how my mother looks like. He told me I was the one who got my mother killed. I was the one who killed her. Everytime he came home, he’ll cry and hit me. I can’t understand why he did all these things to me. I just can’t. I can’t anymore.

                “Don’t spit out something stupid to me.”

She saw Changmin glares at her. He looks very annoyed and a hint of anger can be seen.

                “Do you ever realized who gave you life? Why are you still alive and your mother is dead?”

                “Those things…. Are meaningless to me. I don’t want….”

                “Both of you are burdened with regrets. Your mother gave her life to you. Your father once was a loving father. He cares about you and your mother.”

 

Changmin hands her a picture. A picture of both her parents. Only her parents. Her father and. Her pregnant mother. Both of them looks very happy. He never saw her father looks so young and happy in her life. A note was written on the bottom of the photograph.

                ‘Mother and father are waiting for you, Seori. Someday we’ll take a picture together with you at the middle, between your mother and your father.’

The date written on the picture was 5 days before she was born. And before her mother dies.

 

Tears start falling on the photograph.

 That was the first time she saw her mother.

The first time she saw how happy her parents are before she was born.

 The first time she felt the loving feeling of her mother.

 The loving feeling of her father.

She wants to believe that everything she saw in the picture was true. She wants to believe it.

What Seori’s father said to Changmin that night, when that man was arrested….

 


 


 

                “What had Seori done to you?

                “Because,”

The man starts to cry. He places his face in his palms.

                “Because, she looks a lot like her. I can’t accept the fact she’s dead. Why do I have to see her in Seori. I should have loved Seori but….”

Before he could continue his words, he was brought away by the police.

 


 


 

 

“Then, why did he treat me like this. What did I do to him? Is it because of I killed my mother? Is it because of that?”

                “Because you look like your mother. When he looks at you, he saw your mother. How much both of you resembles create regrets in him.”

                “He did love me?”

                “He always have. Your father is confused between love and regrets. When someone is full of regrets, they didn’t know who’s to blame. That’s why he said to you that you killed your mother. She wants you to share his burden.”

                “Where is he now?”

                “He was arrested.”

Changmin gave Seori some time to think. He better on his way home right now. It’s almost 1.30. Maybe he’ll talk to his family about Seori’s situation right now. She probably have nowhere to go.

                “You’re going home?”

                “Are there somewhere else I need to go?”

                “Stop being sarcastic at me. I know you’re good at making people angry at you.”

                “I’m glad you noticed.”

 

He place his hand on the door knob. He turns around.

                “One thing I would say about your father, Seori, is that he is a loving and irresponsible father.”

                “That would be the right word for him.”

 

That moment had marked Changmin’s wish had come true. He would not forget Seori’s smile that he saw just now. He should stop stalling more time.

                “Wait.”

                “What?”

                “Can I see you again?”

                “Why not. Since you have found people to trust.”

                “Yes, Hwa-Young and you.”

                “You better stop wasting my time.”

                “Sure.”

 

Seori looks as Changmin disappears behind the door. 

Will she see him again?