Day 3: Reminisce

Time Machine

Taeyang and Seohyun are sitting at the music hall waiting for Seohyun's music professor to arrive. Taeyang scanned the whole room, it was spacious and was designed as if looking like it is a concert theatre, rows of seats aligned in a descending stairway pattern; in front, he can see the stage platform with a large ebony piano resting idly on the side, shining against the lights of the room. There were students already accompanied by their friends or family.  Taeyang noticed that some students in front, about three seats ahead of them, are taking quick glances at him and whenever he looks back they will turn away and giggle. Seohyun noticed this as well and smiled leaning towards Taeyang. "You're quite popular here, Oppa. After I let them hear the piece that you made for me, they never stopped bugging me to bring you along." Seohyun said.

Taeyang looked at her and smiled timidly. "Wow, I can't believe my dongsaeng just sold me like that." He kid. Seohyun pouted and slapped his arm softly. "Oppa!! I am just proud!! Don't you want me to?" She puffed her cheeks and snorted. "Alright, alright... I believe you." Taeyang said as he pinches Seohyun's nose, playfully. Seohyun whined, childishly, before pulling her nose away as she crosses her arms. "Cute dongsaeng of mine whining like a baby. Where's you mature side?" Taeyang teased further, clearly amused by Seohyun's childish reaction. Seohyun just stuck her tongue out.

"Ok, class. Good afternoon." A male voice resonated loudly along the room taking the attention of everyone. A middle-aged man with a noticeable silverish moustache went to the center of the stage and eyed everyone. "Hi everyone." He greeted and was replied with respectful bows from his students and their companions with an "Annyeong haseyo, Songsaenim".

"I am very glad to see that you guys have brought some friends and families with you. I want to inform you that this event is a special event that the music department holds every second quarter of the year. This is part of the annual special examination of those taking the music major. We will conduct a special concert that will cater your talents and see your progress from all of our trainings and activities." The professor said. Seohyun and Taeyang listened eagerly as the professor continued on with his explanations. "Today our activity is to showcase you and your duet partner's talent with a piece that you personally chose. It's either someone will sing or both will play instruments. I want to personally see how good your partners are, would that be fine for you guys?" Everyone nodded in agreement. Some had started taking out their own instruments: trumpet, violin, guitar, saxophone, portable xylophone and others that they are, personally, versed with.

"Oppa, good luck... well not that you needed it. I'm sure you can surprise everyone with your talent." Seohyun said smiling towards Taeyang. Taeyang scratched his head and smiled shyly. "O-ok..." Taeyang chuckled nervously.

"Ok so let's start now." The professor said as he urges the first person in his right.

                                                    

YoonA was busy listening to her professor on the principles of role play and expressing dialogues. She gradually takes note of the important parts and will listen whenever the professor does examples as she reads some script lines.

Sometimes the professor will do exaggerated lines and everyone will laugh, just for the sake of avoiding a boring atmosphere she will crack jokes and funny side comments, YoonA liked that about her professor, she never gets bored of her and she is a very good example. "Ok... so why don't we start doing some exercises. Let's pair up into two." The professor suggested and everyone closed their notes, same as YoonA. "You will act as if your partner willl leave and never come back. It doesn't have to be a love scene or literally someone leaving you for another girl or boy. You just have to act as if someone will be away. Either it be your partner will play a person who is terminally ill and has only a few minutes to live, someone as a friend will go to a foreign country for good or for the meantime. That's the theme. I want you to show a strong emotion like sadness, grief or even positive ones like relief, happiness for that someone etcetera." She explained. "Let's pair up now."

Everyone grouped themselves with a partner either be a boy/girl; boy/boy or a girl/girl. YoonA was contemplating on whoever is the best partner until a hand tapped her shoulder. "Can I pair with you?" A blonde girl with a kind smile said. YoonA can't seem to recognize the girl for it was actually the first time she saw her. She smiled and nodded, nonetheless and welcomed her willingly. "Hi... Are you a new student?" YoonA asked. "Yes... I am actually a transfer student... I came here yesterday." The girl said. "Oh... I think I was absent by that time. I'm YoonA." YoonA said stretching her hand out for a shake. The girl, gladly, responded and shook her hand as well. "My name is Jessica." She smiled. "So what are we gonna play? What theme would be better?" The girl, Jessica, asked. YoonA thought for a while. Then she remembered...

It was a winter of 2010... 2 years ago...

"Oppa!? What are you doing here!? It's too cold out here!! Aren't you going to Andong to perform there?" YoonA said as she approaches Youngbae who was standing at the entrance of the school just outside their shooting location. Youngbae was chilling and shivering occasionally despite his thick three layered clothes and it worried YoonA. "Yeah... I just wanted to see you before I leave. I'll be there for three days and since you're busy we won't see each other when I leave and come back so I decided to go here first. How's the shooting?" Youngbae asked.

"It's fine... though I got a few NG's and we'll do some retakes. Do you want to go to my dressing room? It's warmer there." YoonA said noticing Youngbae's shivers. "N-no... I'm fine I won't be long anyways. Just wanted to give you this." Youngbae smiled assuringly and handed YoonA a peach square box tied, neatly, by a light blue lace. YoonA eyed the box and looked at Youngbae before gladly accepting the gift. "What's this, Oppa?" YoonA asked noticing a mild aroma coming out from the warmth of the box. "I baked it earlier... It's cookies... Just want to gave you some." Youngbae smiled. YoonA giggled. "How thoughtful of you, Oppa. Thanks!!! Let's go to my dressing room first. You really look cold. Have some coffee first before you leave." YoonA insisted but Youngbae declined. "I'll be fine... anyway, just want to ask you something." He said whilst nervously scratching his nape. Knowing Youngbae, YoonA was surprised by his weird behaviour and cannot help but be curious . "What is it, Oppa?" She asked.

"After your filming ends... Say... Why don't we go for a vacation just the two of us?" He said with a timid smile. YoonA was surprised but indeed very glad, overwhelmed even. She wanted to spend time with him, that's for sure "O-Of course!! I-I mean it's sure that I'll be granted a vacation after this filming. Yeah, sure, Oppa." She smiled eagerly. Youngbae seems to be very happy about it seeing how his expression brightened. "Great!! I have something to tell you as well but I guess I'll just tell it to you during our vacation." He said. YoonA pouted and glared at Youngbae. "Why won't you tell it to me now?" She demanded. "Because it is something special." Youngbae smiled kindly. Seeing his expression gave a warm tug to her heart. She was overwhelmed and felt anxious as to what he wants to say. Is it something very special? Was he going to...? YoonA's mind kept on coming up with plenty of questions that it took her consciouness out for a bit, not until Youngbae called her back again. "So YoonA. I guess this is goodbye for now. Take care always ok?" He said placing his hand to YoonA's crown and dusting off a few snows and held her shoulder, caressing it softly. YoonA looked at Youngbae and cannot help but feel something weird... and sad...

YoonA smiled and nodded. "I'll see you after three days, Oppa. You take care." She said. Youngbae nodded and urged YoonA to go back before he leave. YoonA obliged and walked on. Mysteriously, she felt heavy in her feet... every footsteps are light and small... as if not wanting her to go further. She turned around and saw Youngbae waving with a smile... She smiled as well and decided to dismiss her sudden worry and went on towards her filming location.

"YoonA?" YoonA was startled by a tap on her shoulder and eyed Jessica who wore a concerned stare. "Je-Jessica... I'm sorry... I spaced out..." She said smiling awkwardly and wiping the sudden tear that formed on her eyes. Jessica smiled. "That's ok... so what do you think would be better for us to role play?" She asked.

                                             

 

"Ok... so now, it's Seohyun and her friend's turn." The professor said eyeing the two with a smile. Seohyun turned to Taeyang and held his arm. Taeyang looked back at Seohyun and smiled. "Here goes..." He said and stand up followed by Seohyun. They both went to the front and center facing the audience. Taeyang and Seohyun can't help but notice some curious stares and anticipating glimmers in some's eyes.

"Ok... so can you introduce your friend, Seohyun?" The professor asked to which the younger girl gladly obliged. "Hi everyone... I want to introduce you to a friend of mine who is very good at playing piano. His name is Taeyang." Seohyun turned to her oppa who bowed. "Annyeong haseyo, Taeyang-imnida." Taeyang bowed and smiled. Seohyun heard some soft squeals, fangirl squeals, and she giggled at how Taeyang was able to captivated some of her classmates in just that action. "So you're going to play a piano piece for us, Taeyang-sshi?" The professor asked with a smile. Taeyang nodded then turned to Seohyun. Seohyun looked back at him and encouraged him with a smile.

Taeyang went to the piano, sitting on the seat and looking at the instrument, carefully, as if getting to know its nature and admiring its elegance. Afterwards, Taeyang placed his hands on top of the keys and sighed. Seohyun stood beside the professor as they both look at the guy in the piano. Everyone also wore anticipating stares.

Finally, a set of tunes began to resonate as the piano sang a warm but solemn melody. Taeyang's fingers started to hit the keys softly as if dancing in all its elegance and helping to produce a music that emanates a hidden longing. Everyone in the room was silent as the sound echoes gracefully, enticing every ear and soothing every mind.

                                                            

 

YoonA stood frozen at the familiar melody that emanated softly from behind a wall that she seems hard to comprehend from where exactly. Jessica eyed her as the sound also seems to reach her ears and tug a sad warmth to her heart. YoonA know the tune and who it belongs to. She looked around and grasped her chest feeling a strong thump from her heart. Her longing increased as her eyes began to tear.

 

~To be Continued~

 

A/N:

This is the music in my mind when I imagined Taeyang playing piano in the scene:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Vnx26iyMQ90

 

And this is the piano piece Taeyang made for Seohyun's birthday (imagine it as an arrangement Taeyang made for her)

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xvj0qW6gh2c