Chapter 4 - Upperhand

Eternal Maknaes

 

Ryeowook

            Oooh, the nerve of that child. I swear, he will give me a heart attack one of these days. It’s a week after our concert, and the war was still on. We haven’t talked in a long time. Today, when I flipped on my laptop, I saw the website drawn up to the poll where he had won. I rolled my eyes. He really thinks he can irk me with this.

            As if on cue, there was a bleeping sound and a message popped up on the screen. Kyuhyun had sent multiple links with fan fiction. Every single one of them had the tag “Kyuwook.” I skimmed through a few and scowled. He tops really? First of all, we aren’t even a couple. Second of all, what the hell? I’m older than he is, and wiser. He should not be topping. Height has nothing to do with it.

            I closed all of the tabs, thoroughly annoyed. Who in the world did he think he was? Fine, if he wanted to show who was manlier, I have no qualms with proving that I am. I’ll show him that just because I’m short doesn’t mean anything. I’m still more talented than he is and I am also a far better person.

            My phone beeped with a text. I checked and saw that it was Minho. He was going to be at the KBS recording studio for Star King. I smiled. Perfect. We can request a special stage against the maknaes. It can even be a song and dance battle. Either way, I just prayed that Minho could dance. Because then we would be screwed.

            I politely asked the producers if we were able to have our special stage. They liked the idea so much, they were even willing to name it the battle between maknaes. Technically, we weren’t maknaes, but we were!

            When they informed Kyuhyun and Taemin, I was pleased to see that they looked a tad unnerved. How’s this for revenge? I didn’t really know what this would prove, except that maybe just maybe I may have an edge over him.

Kyuhyun

            Ahh, Ryeowook thinks he’s so very clever. He’s not. He thought that by springing a competition at us from out of the blue, we would be rattled. But we weren’t. I mean, come on. We’re talented people. There was no way we wouldn’t be able to improvise. So I informed the producer that I would be singing Hope is Dream That Never Sleeps and Taemin brought along a dance mix.

            I didn’t really understand the whole concept of this competition. Was it to one-up one another? Because if that was the case, it isn’t saying much. The only way we could judge was if we got our hyungs to vote. Yes, that was it. We have to get our members to vote. They are to be judge fairly and not to be afraid of offending anyone. Ties is not an option.

            I relayed this plan to Taemin and he nodded in full approval. When I told the producer, he looked a bit uneasy.

            “Ahh, are you sure you really want to do this? I mean, it puts the members in tough positions. They don’t want to hurt anyone.”

            “But, the members are professional! Come on, we make fun of others by voting for the least attractive; surely that wounds pride as well, if not more. If they are able to do that, surely we can do this. Besides, I am a professional and so is Taemin. We are used to not always being the best. I don’t know about the other two, but if we lose, we can handle it.” I chose my words carefully.

            He considered my words before nodding. “Arrasso. That makes sense. I shall announce it to the rest of the audience.”

            When filming began, the host came up to the microphone and cleared his throat. “Today we are having a special edition. It’s going to be the Maknaes against the Eternal Maknaes. The judges of this competition would be their band mates! We are asking for fair judgment and absolutely no fear of hurting feelings. Leeteuk, Eunhyuk, you kids sit down as well. You’re part of the voting. Ties are not allowed. The final judging will be done by Kang Ho Dong!”

            I saw the others tittering and muttering among themselves. Good. It seems like I have the upper hand. Take that. I sat back and watched Ryeowook go on stage to perform. Oh, show-off. He was going to sing a Chinese song. Wow, what a kiss up. Just because Zhou Mi was here. Really. This is pathetic. And now the other members will be super impressed, not to mention Ho Dong. I raged silently. I should change my choice, but that would seem like a copycat.

            When he was done, the entire crowd stood up on their feet, giving him a standing ovation. I stood as well, but checked myself to contain my scowl. No point acting like a poor sport. I’ll just wow them with my vocals.

Minho

            My mouth dropped open. Ryeowook-hyung is amazing. When I asked him what he was going to sing, he had given me a wink and just smiled mysteriously. And now, hearing him, I understood why. I couldn’t understand what he was singing, but I could tell he was pretty fluent. The words didn’t jumble together and his notes and pitches all seem to match. I even remember my mother listening to this song before.

            I sneaked a peek at Kyuhyun and saw that he was trying to control his anger. I snickered. He really had pulled a fast one. All I needed was to pray my gangly limbs would allow me to dance better than Taemin, and his skills. Gah, why did he have to be the Dance Machine of all people?

            When he finished, the entire room was up on their feet. Some whistled loudly and I clapped heartily. When Kyuhyun began making his way from his seat, I saw him glare slightly at the smaller man. Ryeowook stood off to the side, watching.

            The familiar strains of his hit song came on. Of course he would go with a classic. I felt butterflies in my stomach. I acknowledge that he too is indeed very good. His eyes were closed and I felt the power rolling off of him as he sang, every line a soulful and emotional phrase. The place was silent. I couldn’t tell who had the voters’ hearts now. Heck, I, too, am in a state of indecision. When the song came to an end, my mouth dropped open. Kyuhyun also received a standing ovation.

            It was now up to me to win this. I knew that the judges would be hard pressed on the first round. I calmed myself and tried to remember the steps to the complicated dance I had to learn in three hours. But I knew deep down that whatever Taemin would improvise would be better than what I can do. I’m sorry hyung.

            When I was announced, I walked onto the stage I was suddenly inspired. I grabbed Sulli when I was walking up there and announced, “I will be dancing a salsa with Sulli.”

            Taemin put up his hand as if he was such a good little boy. “Excuse me, isn’t this against the rules?” The judges shook their heads. All the judging was purely on how I danced.

            When the music started, I started to ooze the charisma I was known for. With slow and what I hoped to be smooth movements, I approached Sulli and we began to dance. It wasn’t hard. I had danced the salsa with Taemin before, so this time I was experienced. I picked her up and twirled her around before going into the complicated steps and ending with a flourish. The applause was encouraging.

Taemin

            Oh Minho, Minho, what did you think you were playing at? When he pulled Sulli onto the dance floor, I knew immediately he was going to work on his charm factor. So be it, I would focus solely on my power and legit skill.

            The music started up and I started with a popping dance before slowing into a more romantic feel. That quickly ended and it turned into just freestyle. I made sure to connect all the different styles and make my motions as smooth as possible.

            I ended with a series of backflips, and just to kiss up, the Sorry Sorry dance. Naturally, they all applauded.

            “Okay! Super Junior and SHINee huddle! It is time to decide.”

            The decision took excruciatingly long. I knew that with only three members, our band was at a disadvantage in say, hence the kissing up to my hyungs in SuJu. I saw wild shakings of head and really thoughtful pondering. It seems as if there was a tie. I held my breath. Onew had yet to answer anything. Please, hyungie, pick me, your maknae! I prayed. At last they reached a consensus.

            “We have come to a decision. It was a difficult one to make,” Leetuek-hyung dragged on the wait. Hurry! I am going to die of nervousness. “But we were fair, and this was the best way for us to go. The winner will be the…”

Ryeowook

            I KNEW IT! “The winner will be the Eternal Maknae team!” When Leeteuk-hyung announced it, Minho and I jumped up and hugged each other. The maknaes had their jaws dropped, absolutely in shock. I smirked slightly into Minho’s shoulder. We rock.

            Minho whispered in my ear, “I think they’re already forming a plan of attack. But we got this!” We bumped fists and basked in our glory.

Kyuhyun

            So you won this round. It’s okay. We weren’t prepared. Just you wait.