Chapter 13 - Kitchen Woes

Eternal Maknaes

 

Kyuhyun

            I wandered into the kitchen and saw Ryeowook cooking and Shindong helping. Huh, this was going to be easier than I thought. I smiled cutely at Shindong and whispered, “Hyung, do you want me to help?” Shindong laughed and shook his head.

            “It’s okay, Kyuhyun-shi. Just taste the food after we’re done.” I glanced over and Ryeowook was still studiously avoiding me. I smirked. That coward.

            I put my hands on Shindong’s shoulders and pushed him out of the kitchen. “Leave it to me.”

            Once we were alone, Ryeowook finally spoke. “You can make the rice.” I laughed evilly and made sure that I did everything perfectly. He seemed to be surprised because I followed his directions without a single peep. When he asked me quite rudely, I must say, to take out the kimchi and separate it into different bowls, I made sure to add in extra wasabi into his.

            He was dumb enough to let me prepare everyone’s bowls and I finally had full reign. This time, I asked Shindong hyung to help me but kept Ryeowook’s bowl by me. Shindong happily doled out the rice while I used brown sugar rather than soy sauce to turn the rice the dark brown everyone else had.

            I mixed the green very carefully into the kimchi and laughed to myself. I decided to say a quick karma redeemer and took Leeteuk-hyung’s bowl. I did the same thing to him and asked Ryeowook if he could finish preparing the bowl. He took Leeteuk’s bowl absentmindedly and continued to separate the meat.

            When we served the food, I waited first. Leeteuk took a huge bite and immediately spat the rice out. “The rice is sweet. What is this?”

            Everyone looked around in confusion. Donghae tentatively took a nibble and discovered that his rice was fine. Everyone else agreed and Leeteuk tried to taste the kimchi. “I taste wasabi and ketchup?” His eyes were starting to narrow.

            Ryeowook finally exasperated, took a bite of his food. “I’m pretty sure I did it fine. What is this?” He spat out an entire mouthful. “My food tastes really bad too.”

            I came prepared. I dabbed a bit of sugar on the top layer and joined in the chorus of complaints. “Ugh, my food too. Ryeowook what have you been doing? This food is really bad.”

            Shindong looked around. “I did a couple of the rice bowls and-”

            I “accidently” stepped on his foot to keep him from speaking. “I think there’s something wrong. Ryeowook maybe you accidently put brown sugar instead of soy sauce for some of the bowls.”

            He frowned. “Impossible. Leeteuk’s was the only one that I did.”

            Then realization dawned. He glared at me accusingly. “You did it! I knew you did something. You tainted my food and you made Leeteuk a scapegoat, a victim of your schemes. You’re horrible!” He pointed his chopsticks at me, unwavering.

            I pretended to be innocent. “My food tastes bad too! How can you accuse me of such wrongdoings towards my hyungs?” I knew not to overdo it so I also became a bit defensive. “It’s likely you were the one trying to frame me! You made the food!”

            All the members looked at us, not sure how to continue. Leeteuk stood up. “Give me your bowls. I’ll get us another bowl of rice. It’s likely someone made a mistake. I know you’re tired, Ryeowook. If you need help, I can always get Sungmin to help you in the kitchen as well.”

            It was clear whom they thought was the culprit, whether he had intended to do it or not. I smirked to myself. It didn’t matter. Any little victory comes a long way.

Ryeowook

            I was seething. He was purposely taking advantage of me. I knew I should have smelled a rat when he so kindly offered to help me cook. I figured that if I did most of the cooking, he would not be able to try anything funny. But obviously a rotten egg is a rotten egg and he would always find some sort of disgusting scheme.

            That night, Sungmin sidled up to me. “Do you need me to help you? I know you can be getting a little scattered.”

            I glared at him. “No! Can’t you understand, Kyuhyun was clearly trying to get me in trouble. I am fine. I am not old nor am I senile. He purposely framed me and you’re all falling for it! Come on, he’s the evil maknae.”

            Sungmin looked unconvinced. “Yes, but this is a bit too much, to include Leetueuk-hyung too.”

            I sighed. “Whatever. Good night.” Tomorrow, my dear maknae. Tomorrow is another day, another battle.