Chapter 19 - Heartbreak and Regrets

Eternal Maknaes

 

Ryeowook

            When the news came in, my heart dropped. All the days of warring and petty fighting rushed back at me and in a heartbeat, I felt remorse. I tried to call him, to ask if he was okay but of course nobody picked up. If I had to be honest with myself, it was the worst day of my life. My guilt consumed me and I could feel nothing. Only numbness as I contemplated what could have happened.

            Kyuhyun and Minho were coming back from their Dream Team recordings and their car hit into a pole. When we were notified, Super Junior was with SHINee, preparing for our SMTown collaboration. My first act was to hug Taemin.

            “I’m sorry, maknae,” I murmured. He sobbed into my shoulder, clinging onto me.

            “H-hyung,” he cried. “All of this was just a joke. I didn’t mean to really hate you. I’m sorry I was so mean.”

            My own tears were running down my face. The other members were gathered around, looking stricken. This was Kyuhyun’s second accident and Minho was just going to have his drama. I could taste the salt of my own pain but I had to stay strong for Taemin.

            I hugged him to me and he cried his heart out.

Kyuhyun

            Minho and I sat in the car, a little silent, unsure of how to proceed. Technically the war was over, but one does not befriend the enemy right after. It was an uncomfortable silence as we kept our distances.

            But the silence was too distracting and I felt Minho poke me. “Hey, you know all this was really just for kicks right? We don’t really hate you guys. Maybe I hate Taemin a little, but he’s still our squishy maknae.”

            I laughed. “Yeah, no matter what Ryeowook is my hyung. It’s just a fun image to put out. So, I heard you’re going to be in a drama. Ah, I’m so jealous. I don’t even have this.”

            Minho laughed. “You were pretty good at today’s recording. I didn’t think someone as old as you were would be so athletic. I didn’t think you could jump so high. You almost beat my record too.”

            I grinned cheekily. “I have more abs than you will ever know I do.”

            Suddenly there was a screech in the air and I held onto Minho. I had flashbacks of a few years ago and swallowed hard. I started to pray. I don’t think I could be able to last another accident. I kept my head bowed and Minho breathed heavily.

            The car was totally out of control and I had to bite my lips to swallow my scream. This was my nightmare, occurring all over again. There was a loud bump and I felt my seatbelt rip and I felt Minho’s hand being torn from mine. I scrambled after him, trying to drown out the metal and the crunches as shouts filled the air.

Taemin

            The doctors walked out, their faces solemn as they spoke to us. “Kyuhyun should be getting better. This isn’t his first accident so there may be some psychological trauma. But otherwise, he should still be able to sing. His only damage is a minor concussion and a cracked rib. His hand is also fractured. He’s resting but you can talk to him once he wakes up.”

            Onew and I spoke at the same time. “What about Minho?”

            Another doctor walked out, hurrying past us. I craned my neck. He had been in Minho’s room. I stopped a nurse and Key sobbed quietly next to me. “How is my hyung?” I asked him, anxiously.

            The nurse glanced at the door. “Losing a lot of blood, about to go to surgery. We’re trying to determine if he’s paralyzed. I don’t think so but he may lose a lot of mobility.”

            We stood back, stunned. Super Junior-sunbaes placed their hands on our shoulders. SHINee was a dancing group. If we lost a member, then it would be pointless. My heart was in my throat. I closed my eyes and prayed for both of them to be okay. 

 

I cannot believe I've been here for two years already.

Thank you all of you~