competition day

And He Called Me Ugly

 

Chapter 30

 

It was finally the day for the competition. Not a lot of students in our school knew about the competition so KiKwang and I mostly stuck to ourselves. Though I did see HyunSeung and EunJung in the crowd. My brother has been supportive of this decision of mine.

 

I looked at the crowd through the curtains and my body went rigid and my hands went cold. I didn’t realize there would be a lot of people watching.

 

O gosh what if I suddenly trip?

Or fall off the stage?

I might die of embarrassment.

Or I might just… die really.

 

“Hey, don’t be nervous. Not now.” KiKwang said, pulling me backstage. He chuckled and placed both his hands on my shoulders. “It’s your time to shine, HyunJi. Remember, this is your moment, our moment.” He said.

 

I smiled and gave him a nod.

There were a total of 10 groups.

KiKwang and I were the 7th performers.

 

I looked at him and nodded. “I’m gonna go to the restroom.” I told him and he nodded, letting go of me. I turned around and walked swiftly to the restroom on the other side of the stage. I turned back and saw KiKwang looking at the current performers so I sneaked out of the backstage and out into the main lobby.

 

Why did I agree to do this again?

Oh man, I don’t wanna mess up.

I hope I don’t or I wouldn’t be able to look at KiKwang ever.

 

“HyunJi?” I turned to my right and saw DooJoon with a couple of his friends with surprised eyes. He looked at me up and down, noticing the ripped up clothing I was wearing that was exposing my stomach. “Are you in the competition?” he asked.

 

I sighed and nodded. “I’m helping out a friend.” I told him simply.

 

“So… you wanna go to LA.” He concluded and nodded then sighed. But then he looked up at me with a smile. “Good luck HyunJi. I hope, after this, you’d finally be able to figure out who is it that you want to be with.” He said. “I’ll wait until you tell me to stop waiting.”

 

I gave him a faltering smile. I was about to tell him something when the MC announced for the 6th performer on stage. “See you DooJoon.” I told him simply and ran towards the door for the backstage.

 

KiKwang and I watched the current performers and seriously, they’re all good I don’t know how we were going to compete with them. Aigoo. “Stop thinking about messing up.” KiKwang whispered. “Because you will do great.” He said with a smile.

 

“Thanks KiKwang.” I mumbled to him. Then the music stopped and everyone started clapping. “O Lord.” I said.

 

“And next up, Lee KiKwang and Jang HyunJi!” the MC called out and everyone started clapping.

 

KiKwang took my hand and we both went on stage. We posed like our rehearsal on stage. I took a deep breath and relaxed on KiKwang’s touch. When the music started, KiKwang and I moved in sync, dancing to a remix that I did.

 

The first song was Flip Reverse by Jang WooHyuk. It was a pop song with high beats that KiKwang and I danced to in sync. I smiled as everyone was clapping and dancing to the beat. Everyone knew the song, who wouldn’t know about Jang WooHyuk?

 

The next song in the mix was Se7en’s Crazy. We decided to do a battle-ish routine to show off our talents. First was KiKwang with his suave moves then when he was done, it was my turn to show off. It was nerve-wracking to see all eyes on you, probably expecting you to make a mistake. But we didn’t.

 

The last song was JunJin’s Hey Ya! And this time, it was a partnered dance with KiKwang. I mostly focused on him, so it felt like it was me and him all over again in the studio, just having fun while dancing. And we were having fun.

 

When the song was finally over, people were screaming and clapping at our performance. KiKwang and I  bowed then went backstage. “We did it!” I shrieked and hugged him as we disappeared from the stage. I heard him chuckling and hugging me back tightly. “Oh man, that was crazy!” I said with a chuckle.

 

“You were really great.” He said, giving me a friendly punch. I sneered and punched him back harder and he groaned. “Such a guy.” He muttered under his breath.

 

We stayed in the back for a couple more of minutes and finally, we were allowed to go out and meet our friends. I dragged KiKwang to go to HyunSeung but I was surprised when they were at the lobby with JunHyung, DongWoon and YoSeob. I put up a smile and ran to HyunSeung. “I’m so proud of you Hyunji!” he said, handing me a bouquet then turned to KiKwang. “You too Kikwang, though I didn’t get a bouquet for you.” He said which made the others laugh.

 

“Oh man, HyunJi you were so crazy! I didn’t think you could do something like that!” DongWoon gushed out with a YoSeob who was bobbing his head, agreeing to everything DongWoon said.

 

“Thanks guys.” I said with a smile. “I wouldn’t have done it without Kikwang.” I said, nudging the guy beside me.

 

“Oh gosh, why don’t you two go out already!?” EunJung suggested and I laughed unsteadily, glancing at JunHyung.

 

Then I felt someone tapping on my shoulder, I turned around to see Doojoon, also holding a bouquet, “You did great, congratulations.” He said.

 

I chuckled. “Haven’t won yet jerkface.” I told him with a grin. “But thanks.” I said and took the flowers.

 

After another intermission number, the contestants were all called on stage. KiKwang and I hurriedly went back.

 

“Everyone did great today, but unfortunately, we’re only picking one team to go to LA.” The MC said and showed an envelope. “And, let’s see who we’re sending there on a full scholarship!”

 

KiKwang held on to my hand tight. I closed my eyes and bowed my head, wishing.

 

“Congratulations to Lee Kikwang and Jang HyunJi!” he called out.

 

I looked up. Did he really call out our names? Next thing I knew, I was being handed more flowers and Kikwang was laughing and clapping in front of me.

 

We won. I’m going to LA with KiKwang.

After all the congratulations and people were starting to clear up, I sat down on a chair, trying to absorb everything that happened.

 

HyunSeung and Eunjung said they would be outside waiting for me along with the others and I simply nodded. KiKwang walked towards me, his parents behind him. “HyunJi, see you tomorrow?” he said and I nodded. “You know, you still need to give them a final decision, DooJoon and JunHyung.” He told me.

 

“Thanks KiKwang, I know what to do.” I told him with a smile and bade goodbye to him and his parents.



 

oh man, whose ending should I post first? XD

I'll post JunHyung's ending last just to torment everyone hahaha!