Chapter 2

That's Not My Name

 

I went inside the store to find there weren’t many people there and the clerk was busy reading a newspaper. I squatted down to examine the necklace. Surprisingly, it wasn't wrapped up in a container or anything. This guy must want people to steal this. 


"Hey kid!" The clerk called to me. "You need some help?"

I quickly stood up and shook my head. "No thank you, I'm fine. I'm just browsing right now"

I gave him a bright smile and he smiled back. I looked around the store trying not to make it seems obvious. After looking at things that I longed for, I went back to the necklace.

I quickly stuffed the necklace into my jacket pocket. I let out a breath of air then went to the front of the store. I spotted some cheap candy. I picked up a few pieces. I know Sohee likes candy like this. I dugged some coins out of my pocket and paid for the candy.

The clerk smiled and told me to come back but I know I'll never come back, not after what I've done. I popped a piece of candy in my mouth before leaving the store. When I was a little farther away from the store I took the necklace out of my pocket and examined how pretty it was. Of course it wasn't real diamonds but it's okay with me.

Just as I was about to put the necklace in my pocket someone bumped into and knocked me down. I hit the ground with a loud thump.

The necklace fell out my hand and I almost panicked. Just I was getting up the stranger helped me up.

"I'm so sorry" someone said.

I turned to see a guy with medium length hair and when he seen me his eyebrows knitted together. He looked at me for a second until I moved away to reach for the necklace, but then he grabbed it first. “S-Sorry-”

Before I could finish my sentence I saw a crowd of people with running up the street while screaming. I stood there totally confused until this stranger grabbed my hand and ran into a random food place.

When we stopped running I snatched my hand away from his. "What is wrong with you!? Are you crazy!? You just can't run off with people like that!?"

"Lee Ji-Eun.." he said while trying to catch his breath.

He looked at me and smiled while I stood completely confused.

"Lee Ji-Eun" he said again. "I can't believe I'm actually meeting you. I thought you were in Africa for two months helping needy children"

I looked at him like he was stupid. What is he talking about? "I think you're mis-"

"I'm sorry I should introduce myself first right? I'm Lee Jinki but you can call me Onew" he said giving me a beautiful eye smile.

"I'm not this Ji-Eun person you're talking about. I'm sure you're mistaken me for someone else"

He shook his head and looked at me closely. "Nope, you have those perfect eye brows and those eyes everyone would die for. And that cute nose."

I was taken back from his compliments that I didn't know what to say. He really thinks I have eyes to die for? I can't even remember the last time I got a compliment from someone. My face turned a slight shade of red and this Onew person chuckled.

"If your schedule isn't busy, would you like to get something to eat some time?" He asked shyly.

Wait did he just asked me out? How am I supposed to tell him I'm not this Lee Ji-Eun person?

But

Just one date wouldn't be bad I mean I am Yenny. Just one date couldn’t hurt, that means I get a free meal.

"Uhh, sure" I replied. "I'm free Thursday night"

I smiled and then he asked for my number. I quickly stopped smiling. Damn, I don’t have a cell phone, I can't give him the number to the shelter or he'll find out. "How about I meet you at the park around nine Thursday night?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Why so late?"

"I'm busy all day that day..with a lot of stuff. Y'know? I am Lee Ji-Eun, I work really hard" I lied.

"Ok, well I guess I'll see you then"

I nodded awkwardly then he smiled like a dork.

"I guess I'll leave now" I mumbled while pointing towards the door.

"See ya"

I left the building and noticed it was getting late. I ran back to the shelter and climbed back into the window to see the room was empty. Everyone must be cleaning or watching something on TV.

I hid the necklace and the candy in my pillow case. I crept downstairs and sat with everyone else.

"It took you long enough. To come out of the bathroom" I heard Yubin snicker.

"She must had to do number two" someone else said.

I glared at Yubin then sat next to Sohee. I turned to me and I knew she was pissed. But she'll cheer up after I tell her my story.

~**~

"You did what!?" Sohee asked in a whisper.

I shushed her so she wouldn't wake everyone else in the room. She must forget we share a room with other people. It was around 1 o' clock in the morning and we're supposed to be sleep. The room was filled with snores also me and Sohee's talking.

I was telling her about how I met Onew and our date on Thursday.

"I couldn't help myself. I mean who wouldn't take a free date? That means free food and drinks. I'm tired of eating this crap here"

She shook her head and sighed. "Why are you always doing something? I can't keep covering for you"

Before responding I reached into my pillow case and pulled the candy out. I handed a few pieces to Sohee and hesitantly took it. Mrs. Hanna doesn't allow us to eat candy or anything like that.

"You know want to eat it" I .

She rolled her eyes and stuffed with candy. "What did you say that guy name was again?"

"Lee Jinki but he goes by Onew"

She thought for a moment. "Hmmm, his name sounds familiar for some reason"

She shrugged her shoulders and shook the thought off.

"Don't forget tomorrow we have to sneak on the computer and look up this Lee Ji-Eun person, okay?"

She nodded then we both lay down to go to sleep.

"Night" I mumbled.

"Night"