Forth Lollipop

It's Kyungsoo's Story

 

                 “Girls! Did you guys hear the news about EXO-K’s accident? I heard that one of the members is being hospitalized here in our hospital!” Yeonhee sunbae and her paparazzi skills are doing their job, delivering the latest gossip that happened around the hospital. And their headquarter, this innocent counter.

                “Omo! Really?! EXO-K in our hospital?! Who’s the one being hospitalized? Chanyeol? Baekhyun? Suho?” and that’s Minjung sunbae. Yeonhee sunbae’s loyal comrade.

                “I hoped we will be the one who’s in charge of him.” Haerim sunbae buts in. Another Yeonhee sunbae’s followers.

                “No. It’s D.O. Don’t worry girls, I’ll ask Matron Kim to assign us for him.” And those three biatch giggle.

                “Oh God, I feel bad for that guy if Matron Kim really let them take care of him.” Soyeon whispers to my left ear. I think the only ‘normal’ nurses in this hospital are Matron Kim, me and her. The rest, well as you can see now.

                “Me too. Who’s this D.O. guy anyway?” I heard his name all over the hospital since I arrived this morning.

                “Haha.. Hey, are you really living in Korea or not? He’s one of those members of a boy group called EXO.” Soyeon slaps my shoulder.

                “Ouch! That’s hurt. You know I’m not into all of this kpop thingy aren’t you?” Seriously, I’d rather pamper all of these patients all night than fangirling over some flower boys on TV.

                “Ladies.” Matron Kim suddenly appears from the hallway. Everybody automatically stand up and bow. Matron Kim is the highest rank nurse in the hospital. Every nurse works under her command. She is someone that I really respect. And I think every nurse in the hospital respect her as much as I am.

                When Matron Kim had already gone into her office behind the counter, everybody return to their work except for one person. Yeonhee sunbae. She walks over to the counter and knocks on Matron Kim’s door. She opens the door after Matron Kim let her.

                “I bet she must be trying to ask Matron Kim about that thing just now. I hope she declines it.” I just smile to Soyeon’s words.

                “Well, we just see how it goes.” I stand up, pick up my necessities and leave the counter.

                It’s my everyday duty as a junior nurse to go to every ward in this department and checks on every patient that I have been assigned to every morning. I like a lot. So far, there are about 7 patients under my care. Each of them has different problems and characters. I really like to treat older people. Because they will always treat me like their daughter. When they smile, it gives me tons of happiness. I don’t mind if they tell me the same long story again and again, complain about the hospital foods, and whine over how they hate the patient besides them every day because I love to hear it. Sometime, even during my off day, I will come to the hospital during the visiting hours and to visit them and bring their favorite food.

              Ward 6 located on the third floor. Rather than using the elevators, I like using the stairs to go up. Morning exercise. Soyeon calls it the ungratefulness of technology. On the second floor there are Ward 3 and Ward 4 or the VIP wards they called it. One person for each room. Complete with toilets, air-cond and TV. Junior nurses are not assign to those ward. I quickly climb up the stairs and arrive at the third floor. Ward 6 looks calm. Not so many people around. Even the patients are mostly not awake yet since it’s just 9.00 am. Visiting hours starts at 11.00 am. So I have to finish my works before that. I can see one of my patients, 12-years-old Minah smiles at me from her bed, at the end of the ward beside the glass window. I speed up my pace and smile back to her.

              “Hi Minah! Did you get a good sleep last night?” Minah nods. And suddenly I get a good feeling about today.

 

**********