Eighth Lollipop

It's Kyungsoo's Story

 

*I broke my promise of writing less than 800 words for every chapter. it's 815 words for this chapter. sorry.* 

 

            “Do you need anything sir?” I expect there would be 12 pair of eyes that’ll look at me when I open the door, but surprisingly there are only two.

           “You look like you’re disappointed. Sorry, the rest have gone home. There am only me.” He looks at me with an apologetic face. Oh no. Did he notice I startled just now? That’s embarrassing.

            “Erm… well, what can I do for you sir? Are you feeling unwell? Should I call the doctor?” better change the topic.

             “No, no. I’m fine. Actually, I try to get on the wheel chair by myself but I couldn’t. So can you help me? I hope I’m not bothering your work.” he really does look like he feels guilty for calling me.

              “No sir. Of course not. Let me help you.” I smile at his innocent face and he smiles back at me. Ok, he is cute.

             I walk over to the wheel chair and pull it beside the bed. Then he pushes himself slowly to the edge of the bed. I quickly grab his right arm and help him as he tries to stand up and sits on the wheel chair. I can feel he’s a bit startle when I hold his arm. What an innocent guy. Maybe he had never been touch by woman before. But wait, he’s a singer right? I don’t think that he never at least shake hands with all of those girl groups before. Whatever. It’s none of my business anyway. When he looks like he is comfortable on the wheel chair. I move to the back and start to push him.

           “It’s okay. I can help myself. I bet that you must have other works to do right? Thanks anyway.” He turns his head and gives me another innocent smile. He should really stop looking at me with those cute eyes. Seriously.

          “Oh, is it okay that I leave you sir?”

          “Yeah. I’ll be fine. And by the way, you can drop the honorifics. Just call me Kyungsoo.” He really looks like he can take care of himself.

          “Okay. As you wish sir. Oh, I mean, Kyungsoo. I’ll leave after I tidy up your bed.” I move to his bed and starts arranging the pillows and the blankets. Then I realize that he hasn’t move an inch since a few seconds ago. He tries to push the wheel chair by himself, but it looks like it won’t move. I put down the pillow and smile.

          “You know what, maybe you need my help after all.” he covers his face with his hands when I as I approach him. Maybe he’s embarrassed because he can’t use the wheel chair by himself.

         “Yeah. Maybe you’re right.” he giggles and his face turns red.

         I take him down to the hospital’s garden that evening and we both talk to each other. He is awkward at the beginning but he continues to be more comfortable with me as the time passes. He asks me about my job and I ask him about his work. I think he is a nice guy. He even greets the other patient as we pass them. He bows and smiles when we pass an older patient and waves when we pass the younger ones. He tells me about his mistake during his debut stage interview when he was supposed to say ‘grand orchestra’ but instead he said ‘superior orchestra’ during the live broadcast which I think is rather cute.

           He always pays attention to me when it’s time for me to talk and laughs when it is the right time. I never thought he would be comfortable to me that fast because usually, it takes time for patients to be friendly with the nurses. Some patients, never. Since he is a celebrity maybe meeting strangers is his everyday activity and not something new to him. He has this charm that attracts me to stare at his face when he talks. Probably those cute round eyes. I send him back to the ward when it is almost dusk and he thanks me for accompany him that evening.

         “Thanks a lot. It was fun talking to you.” He speaks as I help him put his blanket on.

         “No problem. It’s my job after all. The dinner will be serve in a few minutes. You can help yourself with that aren’t you?” I purposely emphasize the word ‘can’ just now mocking him for his overconfident of using the wheel chair by himself before.

         He laughs. “Yes. I can.”

         “Then I shall take my leave. If you need anything, there's the red button behind you over there. Press it, and I’ll come straight away.” I try to sound funny and he laughs again.

         “Ok.” He nods.

         “See you later Kyungsoo.” I smile at him and walk over to the door.

        “Hey wait!” I turn.

         “Yes?”

         “Your………“ I can hear he murmurs something after he said “your” but I can seems to figure out what it is.

         “What? I can’t hear you?”

         “Nothing.” He smiles.

         “Ok.” I smile back and leave the room.

 

**********