The Most Important Person In the World Chapter 14

Most Important Person In The World

 

I sat up. "YI XING."

"What is going on, KAREN?"

He started walking toward the bed. I stepped in front of it. "What are you trying to do? He's injured."

"Relax, he's the duizhang. I'm not going to do anything to hurt him. My brother. Just tell me what the.....heck, is going on." 

"We got into a car acc-

"I know that! What were you two doing just now? Huh? Why did you kiss him? Do you have feelings for him? Why were his arms around you? You're my wife. You need to tell me what's going on. NOW."

My head started hurting. I never really seen this part of LAY before. I didn't know what to say. That I fell in love with my childhood best friend while I was married to YI XING?

"Tell me!"

"LAY, relax," I heard WU YI FAN say.

"Relax? Fine. You tell me. What's going on?"

WU YI FAN didn't say anything. So LAY started walking closer to his bed. 

I stepped in front of LAY. "What are you trying to do?"

"Why are you protecting him? I won't do anything." Then he looked at YI FAN. "You're my brother. Why would you do this to me? I came here to visit you. And this is what I find? That my wife just told friend that she loves him? To find her wrapped in your arms?"

"LAY, I can explain," I cut in.

"EXPLAIN WHAT?! That it was all a mistake? You kissed him. I heard you myself telling him you love him. What else are you going to tell me? How are you going to explain this?" I saw his eyes tearing up.

"Don't cry..." I wiped his tears. "Don't cry..."

He pushed my hand away. He looked so hurt. So in pain. It reminded me of the LAY I fell in love with. I felt my own tears coming to my eyes. 

"I...I love you." I wasn't lying. I did love him. I did. I closed my eyes, knowing that I hurt YI FAN.

"You're lying. I want you to show me. Prove it."

"But I do! I'm not lying!" I felt YI FAN's pain again. Every time. Why did I have to be stuck in this situation? Where I had to feel both of their pain.

I kissed LAY. Over and over again. In front of YI FAN. "I love you, okay?" I brushed his hair away from his face. "I'm just..." I couldn't finish my sentence, I couldn't say anymore. I couldn't choose. I couldn't. I knew WU YI FAN was still injured, that he saved me from being in the condition he was in now. How could I hurt him even more? But I also knew that YI XING was my husband. And he just witnessed his wife kiss his best friend.

 

* * * * * (WU YI FAN's POV)

 

She collapsed.

I tried to get up from my own bed to bring her to her bed. But a sharp pain stopped me. No. I had to help her. I had to. I tried a second time. 

LAY shook his head. "Forget it." Then he shouted for someone to come help. He carried her limp body over to her bed and shouted for help to come quick again.

A nurse rushed in. She examined, and then said, "Don't worry, this is normal. It's caused by stress." She wrung out a towel and placed it on KAREN's forehead. "She'll be fine. She just needs rest."

I relaxed, but still watched her. Kept looking at the beautiful girl I knew since we were children. The girl who broke my heart several times. The one that said she loved me. The one who just told my best friend she loved him. Best friend, as close as a brother. When LAY mentioned that,  I immediately felt sorry. Guilty. But I had known her since childhood. Loved her ever since the day at the park 16 years ago. She had just told me she loved me, and I didn't want to let go of her. 

LAY looked at me. "Duizhang...rest well." He kissed my sleeping beauty. He looked at me. "She's my wife. Why do you keep trying to get her? Why are you trying to take my woman? There are plenty of other girls out there. I'm sure you'll find one."

I sighed. I was too tired to talk. So I just closed my eyes. I almost fell asleep when I heard, "YI FAN....."

I was now wide awake. I looked at her. 

"YI FAN....." She murmured again.

LAY looked angry. He kissed her. "It's me, YI XING."

 

* * * * * (MY/YOUR POV)

 

I opened my eyes. LAY's mouth was on mine. It felt good. I kissed him back. His whole mouth covered mine, and he wouldn't stop kissing me. It was like he was hungry.

Then I remembered YI FAN, and stopped kissing LAY. "What's wrong?" He kissed me again.

"No...this is not right."

"What do you mean?"

I looked at WU YI FAN. He was still awake. He looked away from me. 

LAY took my hand. "You're my wife. Why don't you think this is right?" He looked at YI FAN too. "Is this because of him?" 

I didn't answer. It hurt too much to tell the truth. I closed my eyes.

"I can't take this anymore. Either you love me, or you don't." He got up and stormed out of the room.

I started crying again. Let all of my feelings out. All this sadness. It had to go somewhere. I knew I was being really loud, ruining WU YI FAN's sleep and rest. But I couldn't help it. "Oh god, I'm so sorry, YI FAN. I'm sorry. About everything."

"It's okay. I'm fine now, aren't I?" 

"Not your feelings."

I got up and went over to his bed. It just felt too lonely to be on mine. Then I sat down on a chair and rested my arms and head on the bed/sheets.

He wiped my tears and smiled a weak smile. "You're still a crybaby."

I knew I was stupid. I was stupid. He wasn't stupid, this whole time. He cared about me. I was the stupid one, not realizing that he loved and cared about me.

"This must be hard for you, right?" he asked. 

"This must be hard for you, right?" I replied.

He shrugged. Everything was silent. 

"I want you to get better," I said quietly.

He smiled and ruffled my hair. "I will get better. Because you told me to. I will always listen to you."

"Liar. You didn't listen to me when I told you to get away from me at the airport." I picked up my head.

"Because I believed that if I kept trying, you would realize one day."

That made me start crying again. "Look what you did to me, YI FAN."

He laughed. Seconds later, I started laughing too.