Chapter Two: Confusion

Fated

I finally reached my destination and quickly busied myself. I had connections with some people in this station and had been invited to come and view the performance and interview of a new, young Chinese group. I was hoping to even write my own piece on the group and their performance. Since I had never heard of the group, I was quite eager to listen. I believe that they were called EXO M? I was quite excited. I soon found that I had a lot of extra time before they would arrive, so I grabbed someone’s IPOD to listen to their songs, and soon lost myself in their music. They had a nice sound and I really enjoyed it. But I was told that this was only half of it. Seeing them perform was even better. Still, I was impressed.

Soon, I was notified that the group’s arrival was nearing, so I made my way outside to watch. I had to admit, I was extremely curious about what they looked like. I had yet to see them. I went outside and surveyed the scene. There were fans everywhere. I stayed up on the steps where I was safe from the grasp of crazy fangirls.  They were everywhere waiting excitedly for their arrival. The din was nearly unbearable. Soon, a van pulled up and 6 boys climbed out with their managers. They made their way towards the door to my right. I watched in interest as they passed me. My eyes widened slightly when one brown haired boy passed. Wasn’t that…? No. It couldn’t be! No, that surely couldn’t be Yi Xing… No. I’m just seeing things… He’s just a look alike. I shook my head. He kept looking around nervously. He rubbed the back of his neck. Yi Xing did that too… He looked up at me and we made eye contact. His eyes widened and he looked away quickly. But I could have sworn I saw him break into a small smile…

They entered the building and I followed shortly after. I tilted my head in confusion. Why does he look so much like him? What are the odds…? He did say he was a dancer… I watched them for awhile longer. The boys were all standing around in a group while their managers ran off to get things settled before they all got ready for today. They were all talking and laughing loudly.

“Lay!” A manager called over to the group and beckoned one member over. The Yi Xing look-a-like guy stepped out and made his way over to him. They spoke for a few moments before he turned and returning to the group. Lay…? Ha! What was I thinking anyways? Like some famouse Chinese performer would give me his number. But he had acted kind of suspicious earlier when he gave it to me… I began to reach into my pocket for my phone. I had already input the number and was considering texting him out of curiosity. Just as I pulled it out though, they were called to go and get ready. They hurried away to their changing room to get ready. I slipped my phone back in my pocket. I shouldn’t disturb him… Whoever he is…

 

Lay POV

“Gege,” I turned my head to look at the youngest member. “Gege. What’s wrong? You seem… awkward right now. No offense.” I smiled slightly. Insightful didi.

“Ah, no. I’m fine Tao. I’m just like this sometimes. You know that. Especially when I’m out in public like this.” I smiled encouragingly at him. He didn’t seem so sure at first, but he accepted it after a moment. He smiled and headed over to Luhan who was currently enjoying teasing Xiumin and calling him a bao zi. I sighed and took a quick peek at the girl sitting on the other wall. She looked away quickly. I chuckled. She must be so confused right now.

Kris nudged me. It semed that my conversation with Tao had not escaped the attention of duizhang. “So, does your acting strange have anything to do with the girl you told me about earlier?” I gave a slight nod.

“She’s over there. I told you she’d be here.” I jerked my head in her direction slightly. He peered over at her casually.

“Ah, I see. Has she noticed you yet?” I laughed.

“Yeah, I think so. I’ve caught her looking at me a few times. I’m sure she’s extremly confused.” He chuckled.

“Yeah. Just don’t let this distract you today, alright?” He patted my shoulder, I nodded, and he walked away. I stood there alone for a moment on the outskirts of the group before we were called off to go get ready. I took one last fleeting glance her way before following the other members.

 

Nina POV

“Emergency! Emergency! Nina! I need your help! Pleeeeaaaase!!!!! Jie Jie!” I looked at the small girl running towards me. As soon as she said emergency I was on my feet prepared.

“What is it?! What happened?!” She stopped and took a deep breath.

“Our translator for the two Korean members can’t make it! We have no one else! I know you speak Korean too, so… could you maybe… you know… translate for them…? During the interview?” She looked up at me hopefully. My shoulders deflated.

“This is your emergecy?! I thought someone was hurt!”

“Someone will be if we can’t find a replacement!” She squeaked. I sighed.

“You want me to translate? On T.V.?” She nodded.

“Come on! I know you’re good! You’ve done stuff like this before! Please! I’m begging you.” I shook my head in surrender.

“Fine. I’ll do it. Ah, this is so nervewracking! Why do you do this to me?!?!” She grabbed my hand.

“Oh, thank you so much! Wo ai ne, Jie jie!” She made a heart with her hands and ran off. I took a deep breath. I’ve never had to do this with such short notice. And from Chinese to Korean? This was going to be a first for me.

She returned soon and grabbed me. “Come on! You should meet the two Korean members so that you can know who you’re talking to. Hopefully you can meet the others too before they go on, but right now they’re busy.” She ran with me down the hall. We arrived in a large room with all of the members and their stylists and such. People were bustling around everywhere. She stopped and scanned the faces quickly. “Ah!” She pulled me over to two young men sitting on a couch in a corner talking and laughing.

“Xiumin? Chen?” She asked. They looked up in surprise. I bowed,

“Annyeonghasseyo. I’m going to be translating for you today.” They quickly stood and bowed back.

“Nina, I have to go now. Get to know them a little. Get comfortable. You know the drill.” She smiled, waved, and ran off. I blinked and turned back to the two boys. It was awkward for a moment.

“Ah, mianaeyo. Cho nun Nina imnida.” I bowed slightly again. They smiled.         

“Cho nun Xiumin imnida!” The boy who spoke was cute and had a slightly round face, but he looked fit. His smile was infectious and he seemed to have a lot of energy.          

“Cho nun Chen imnida.” The other spoke now. He had a bright eye smile and seemed to have a more calm and laidback nature.

“Nice to meet you.” I smiled. “You’re free now I believe. Do you mind if we all talk some? I like to get to know peopl e a bit before I have to translate for them. It helps me get a hang of how they speak.”

“Ne! Ang chuseyo (Please Sit).” Xiumin gestured to a group of chairs and we all sat down. I began,

“Now, I’m afraid I’ve only just arrived in China not to long ago, so I hadn’t heard of you untill a few days ago. But I listened to your songs, and I really love them! But this is my first time seeing what you look like.” I smiled.

“Oh! Chinjjayo? Where have you been?” Xiumin asked me energeticly.

“I’ve been in America. I’m American, if you were wondering.” I smiled and they both had wide eyes and made cute ‘ohhh’ sounds. I giggled at them.