Chapter One: A Chance Encounter

Fated

“Excuse me.” I walked towards a man on the street. I was lost and needed directions. He looked friendly enough. “Excuse me.” I repeated in Chinese. I patted his shoulder and he turned to look at me. “Umm, Hi. Do you think you could help me with directions?” I asked. He just blinked down at me. Did he understand? I mean, I know my Chinese isn’t the best, but I thought I had been doing pretty well... I pouted slightly and repeated myself.

“Ah! Yes. Sorry. I was just surprised.” He blushed. “Where do you need to go?” He asked. I told him my destination. He blinked at me in surprise. He opened his mouth as if to say something, but closed it after a moment of thought.

“Uh, yeah. Here.” He began explaining it to me. I nodded, thanked him and began walking away. I wasn’t that far from there.

“Wait!” He called after me. I stopped and turned to look at him. He blushed slightly and looked away. “Uhh, ni shi mei gou ren ma? (Are you American?)”

“Hmm?! Oh, yes.” I smiled. He grinned back.

“Wo jiao Yi Xing. Ni jiao shenme mingzi? (My name is Yi Xing. What is your name?)”

“Wo jiao Nina. (My name is Nina)” He smiled and nodded.

“… Hello? Nice to… meet you?” He said in English. I giggled and he grinned back slightly. His accent was cute.

“Yes. It’s nice to meet you too.” I smiled.

“So, why are you in China?” He asked me, back to Chinese.

“I’m working.  Actually, the place I just asked you for directions to is where I’m currently working. I’m a writer and a translator.” His eyes widened.

“Oh, really?” I nodded. He looked away.

“So, what about you? What do you do?”

“Huh? Wo ma? (me?) Oh… I uhh… I’m a… dancer…?” He almost seemed to ask it. I laughed. Why was he so nervous? Silly guy.

“Wow! That’s awesome!” He just smiled slightly and shook his head, rubbing the back of his neck in embarassment. I laughed at his shyness. Just then I remembered I needed to be heading to the T.V. Station. I looked at the time.

“Ah! I’m so sorry! I really have to go!” I looked up at him, sad to be leaving so soon. “It was really nice meeting you though.”

“Wait!” He called again. I stopped. He paused, rubbing his neck again. He seemed to be thinking hard about something. He suddenly sighed and shook his head. He dug in his pocket and pulled out a slip of paper and a pen. He quickly wrote something on the paper. He reached out to give it to me. I reached out to take it, but he pulled back slightly, a look of worry crossing his face.

“I can trust you right?”

“What?” He looked around nervously.

“Just- Just keep this safe, okay?” He grinned shyly, pushed it into my palm and walked away. I stared after him, utterly confused. I looked down at the slip in my hand and unfolded it. Written across it was a number and a name: Yi Xing. I smiled down at it happily.