Lessening Heartbeats

Four. Five. Six.

pic credit to http://tb-cont.tumblr.com

 

Friday, January 28th, 1:41 AM Seoul Time

 

A piercing and starting ring erupted from something on the night table. The body in the bed rolled over, visibly disturbed. 

Chanyeol reached out his hand and attempted to quiet the phone, but only ended up smashing a day-old donut that he had failed to finish before it spoiled.

"Damnit." The irritated boy cursed under his breath and reached out one more time to get the object he now wanted to murder for disrupting his slumber, dreaming about a certain Ice Cream themed music video that always made him hot and bothered. He looked at the caller ID and instantly quieted.

On the final ring, he answered.

"Yobose-"

"She's gone." A strained voice cut him off.

"......moh?" Chanyeol whispered back, a feeling of panic settling in the pit of his stomach, already sensing who he was talking about.

A slight sniffle could be heard on the other side. "Lay. I can't find her... I've looked everywhere. And the worst part is, I'm in her room right now... a-and... it's completely empty. As if no one had lived here in the first place." His voice turned into less then a whisper as he said the last sentence.

It seemed as though part of JongIn was questioning whether or not she truly existed in the first place...

"Are... are you sure, Kai? Maybe she packed up and is on the way home right now." Chanyeol offered, but the younger would have none of it.

"NO!" JongIn shouted back, causing Chan to back away from the phone, "She was supposed to call me. Everyday. There is no way she would leave without letting me know. If she wanted to surprise me... she would have given me a hint. Gone... She's gone." JongIn lowered his voice to a whisper once more.

Chanyeol didn't know what to say. It was too early in the morning for him to be thinking of any plan, and the sound of his brother breaking down was absolutely heartwrenching.

"...I..." He paused, speechless. "...So, are you going to stay there? Or come back home? I heard the police left the hotel yet the killer is still running around."

JongIn took a long breath before answering. "Yeah, I think I'll stay here. I feel like I'm looking past something; like I missed a cruicial clue. Maybe I can ask around and see if anyone has seen her. I should have never let her go on this trip!" You could hear the sound of flesh hitting wood, "I knew something like this was going to happen! I warned her!"

"Look, I know you're upset but you shouldn't let your emotions get in the way. Think clear-"

"I'm sorry for waking you up so early." JongIn carelessly cut in.

"What? Oh it was for something important so it's okay. But anyways, have you contacted the police?" Completely caught off guard by Kai's interruption, he lost his train of thought. "Maybe they can help."

"They're too caught up in the Verse Killer situation to deal with something like this. What if she's dead, Chanyeol? I can feel it... this off feeling. Maybe her heart's finally sto-"

"Yah! What the hell are you saying?! When was the last time you slept?" Chanyeol was now beginning to feel more than worried about the state of mind his brother was in. 

It was no secret that his grip on sanity was slowly slipping.

"A few days ago." The younger answered without hesitation.

"You. Sleep. NOW." Yeol commanded.

"I can't. I've tried. My mind just runs in circles and keeps me awake."

A string of silence occupied the line.

Chanyeol grew even more suspicious than he already was.

"Kim JongIn, when was the last time you ate?" Yeol's voice took on a level of authority that few could muster.

There was no response. The elder could only assume the answer was the same as before: 'a few days ago.'

"You know... maybe it wasn't such a good idea to let you go there by yourself."

"...Hyung..." The soft voice that came from JongIn's side was the answer to all of Chanyeol's further worries.

He sighed. Seeing his strong willed, big hearted brother like this was crushing. "JongIn-ah, wait for me. I'll be there soon."

 

Friday, January 28th, 1o:01 AM London Time

 

"Laina..." JoonMyeon shook her shoulder lightly, trying to wake her.

She only responded with a mumble.

"Laina, we have to go out today. I just wanted to let you know that we won't be back until late. The room service number is next to the phone, arraseo?" His voice remained soft, and some part of her was glad that he was the one talking to her, not the other.

She opened her eyes just in time to see him take something out of his pocket.

"JoonMyeon! Bali!" Kyungsoo spoke with authority, obviously still not able to trust his brother after the incident.

"Neh, mianhae." He acknowledged Soo and showed Laina what was in his hand.

"Umm, if you get bored, you can play with this. It neither has service nor wi-fi, but it's better than nothing."

The girl looked to his hand and saw an iPhone in a colourful case. She looked back up at his face just in time to see the smallest slither of a smile possible.

"BALI!!" Kyung commanded.

"Umm, ok. Bye." Joo said to Laina and turned to walk out the door.

The girl was grateful for his kindness, but was still determined to find some way out of here. Kyungsoo's last comment had bothered her, shook her. It gave her chills to know that Kyung knew the whereabouts of her boyfriend and that, if given the chance, he would try to harm him.

 

Friday, January 28th, 12:56 AM London Time

 

"Room service for 456?" The light brown haired boy happily said as he walked in, knowing the pin code and being told that the girl he was going to see was mental.

It bothered him none.

Laina was sitting on the edge of the bed, staring out the window. Since the large window and the door were on opposite sides, the only thing Luhan saw when he walked in was the back of the woman's head.

"Miss?" he asked when she didn't acknowledge his earlier question.

"You're name is Luhan, right?" She asked him without looking at him.

He stood in the same place, awkwardly holding the plate that gravity wanted to claim more and more.

"Umm, yes, but wher-"

"Luhan-ssi, if someone told you something crazy, would you believe them?"

The boy legitimately thought that question out for a minute, and decided to just place the dish down on a table near the door.

At this point, the girl still had not looked at him and continued to gaze out of the window.

"I suppose I would, yes. If there was enough evidence to prove what they were saying was true." Luhan answered truthfully.

Laina nodded her head. She took a deep breath.

 

She new very well what the people of the hotel thought she was.

 

 

"What if someone crazy told you something crazy? Would you still believe them then?"