No.

Four. Five. Six.

 

It had been two months. No more. No less. Two months since the beginning and the end of the events that changed their perspectives on life.
 
Kim JongIn, aka Kai, had met this girl. Everything was fine until the chase started to begin. They ran after both of them, unable to capture them. They then decided it would be best to go after his girl because that would be a weak point in all situations like this. Kai came in the knick of time and saved her. That one night, however, that one fateful night, they encountered the biggest problem. Getting caught, unable to run, they were brought to his father. Five shots rang out, the last of which came from Kai’s brother, who was thought to have died at age 10. Effectively killing their biggest threat, they were able to escape and officially kill off any traces of the gang.
 
Chanyeol. The victim of the most sad of cases. In the warehouse, next to his mother and in front of his brother, he was thought to have been brutally murdered. The shot, however, blew past his ear and exploded near his face, rather than puncture him. Being so close, he was hit with recoil and passed out on the spot, dropping to the floor next to his mother who wasn’t so lucky. He awoke washed up on the beach, but ran before anyone could try to help him. Living in a broken down shack afterwards, his face began to heal, but was ultimately scarred for life. No one recognized him as he aimlessly walked around, not even his school friends. It was then he knew what he needed to do. Growing older, he trained himself in that shack. Perfecting self defense techniques his dad taught him, practicing brutal attacks seen on tv through the store window, he began to memorize it all. At the age of 19, he set off to join the very gang that attempted to kill him. He knew no one would know it was him. Hell, if his old friends couldn’t tell, then his own pathetic excuse of a father sure wouldn’t be able to. He got in with ease, and acted like he was on their side. He then heard mention of JongIn’s name. Surprised he was still even alive, he perked up his ears only to hear that he wanted him dead. Hmph, what a surprise. So, when Kai and Laina were brought to his father, he became the one restraining her. When he got the chance, he shot. He aimed and he shot. Exactly where he meant to. Killing his father was the most insane, sane thing he could have done. Of course JongIn didn’t recognize him until the end, but saving his brother was the most important thing to do, regardless if he knew it was him or not. Having no where to go, he now stays with Kai and Laina in their hotel room. 
 
Laina, probably the most innocent victim in all of this began her new journey by ending her old one. Setting off for a new life, she flew to Seoul in an attempt to move on and live with value. Running into the strange lanky boy on her first day, she accepted the fact that he wouldn’t go away. She learned that he did in fact speak, but only when he feels it is necessary. Life went on, time passed, and they got closer. And then the chase began. Becoming the target of their attacks, Kai protected her with enough brutality to last eons. Until the end, when he came a thread away from being able to protect her any longer. Hearing the shot ring off, she dare not open her eyes to find out who it was. Until she heard Kai speak. She had heard the one that held her call Kai his brother. Utterly confused, she listened intently and put the pieces together when Chanyeol began speaking. Having cleared everything up, she allowed him to permanently stay with her and Kai, as he did not have any where else to go.
 
 
That now brings us to the present day, time, and year. January 14th, 2013, 4:56 PM. Four minutes before the evening news comes on, which Kai, Laina, and Chanyeol all make sure to watch just to keep up with current events. Kai rests on the couch while Chanyeol fiddles with his phone on the one king sized bed in the room. Laina was just finishing her shower, coming out and drying her hair as a smile crossed her face, seeing Kai bored to death.
 
That’s not new.
 
She sat next to Kai as she wrung her hair out, watching the evenings commercials as it neared 4:59 PM. Without warning the tv went black, turning itself off. Kai and Laina looked at each other confused as they heard billowing laughter to their right. Chanyeol was rolling around the bed, which the remote was on, laughing at his phone like a maniac. Kai got up to rip it from under his brothers body, which earned yet another giggle as it apparently ‘tickled’ the elder. Irritated, Kai the tv.
 
“-thorites found yet another body today in central London. Her cause of death is still unknown at this point, but authorities say that this is likely the work of who they deem ‘Verse Killer’ because he writes poems and gives them to the victims before he kills them. I repeat- a woman’s body was found in London today, drained of blood and likely dropped off rather than killed there. Cause of death unknown, the suspect is known as the Verse Killer. If this is his work, then this will have been the fourth death caused by this man. We will inform you of more details as they become known, but for now, this has been Kandice Withersmith, for Channel 5 news, 5:06 PM-”
 
Kai turned the tv off and stared at her.
 
“Laina, aren’t you going to London next week?”
 
“Yeah. So?” She looked at him cluelessly, truly not seeing the connection.
 
“So? There’s a killer in London. And you’re going to London.” He paused. “I think you should stay here until they catch him.”
 
“What?! No! Do you know how long I’ve been saving for a vacation like this? It was almost impossible to get three weeks off when I’ve only worked there a year. I’m not going to pass this up.” She twisted her hair in her finger feverishly, irritated at the simple thought of not being able to go. 
 
She looked out of the window. “Besides, the tickets are non-refundable.”
 
“I don’t care. You’re not going.” Kai looked at her with serious eyes.
 
“What? First you say I shouldn’t go and now you’re telling me I cant? That’s ridiculous. It’s my decision.” She retorted.
 
“-Guys, please don’t fight-” Chanyeol whispered, trying to get a word in.
 
“As your boyfriend I have a right to protect you. Sending you there while he’s there would be like sending him gold on a silver platter.” 
 
“Seriously, Kai? Were really arguing over this? I may only be 20 but I’m pretty sure I can take care of myself.” She hesitated almost immediately after saying this, and subconsciously ran her finger over the scar on the back of the head. She knew this completely disproved her statement, remembering the time that man followed her and pushed her skull into the brick wall.
 
“As you remember how you got that scar on the back of your head.” Kai said snidely.
 
“-Guys, please-”
 
“You’re not going and that’s that.” Kai stood his ground and crossed his arms, trying to hide his clenched fists. He wasn’t being controlling. He was just being incredibly protective. And knowing Laina’s history of never seeing the bad in people and being completely oblivious, he had an incredibly sick feeling settle itself in the pit of his stomach.
 
“I’m going.” She replied sternly.
 
“No, you’re not.” He retorted.
 
“Yes.” She could not believe that he wouldn’t allow her to go.
 
No.” 
 
“-Guys-”
 
“Ughhh!!!” She stomped her foot and marched towards the door, slamming it shut as hard as possible as she walked out. She didn’t care how her hair wasn’t combed or how the top of her blouse was damp because of her hair. She was pissed. Again, not believing that Kai was being this overbearing. Who was he to tell her what she could and couldn’t do? She was a woman, a strong minded one at that, who had worked too hard for this to let it just fall out of her hands. She walked through the lobby of the hotel, as it was raining outside and she didn’t want to walk back for her jacket. She finally stopped at one of their many  waiting lobby’s on the bottom floor. She picked up one of the magazines they had and sat on one of the couches, looking for something to simply distract her.
 
 
Meanwhile back in the room…
 
 
“Why can’t she understand that I’m just looking out for her?!” Kai raised his hands up in the air and promptly brought them back down.
 
Chanyeol paused, not really wanting to get involved. But he couldn’t stand the tension this situation created.
 
“JongIn, maybe you should just give her time to think about it. That way both of you can cool off and-”
 
“Cool off?! What is there to think about?! It’s simple logic!” his voice became coarse as he finished his sentence, obvious evidence that he may have needed to follow his brother’s advice.
 
The room fell quiet. Chanyeol just decided that it would be best to stop talking about it in general. He thought it was stupid really, just let the girl go. She’s worked hard for this vacation. Plus, the tickets are non-refundable, like she said. Its not worth it not to go.
 
Kai stomped off to the bathroom, the only room in the suite with a door, and the shower. He almost jumped in forgetting he was dressed, and nearly ripped off his clothes when he had to go through the trouble of taking them off. He turned the shower as hot as it would go and got in. The beads of boiling water almost immediately created a sauna-like environment, not that he cared. He groaned as the spaghetti sized jets of water massaged his skin. They burned his skin, but eased his tense muscles that had knotted up over the past half hour. He stood there, in the same position, for 20 minutes as his muscles finally started to relax. He breathed in deeply, lost in thought. He lay his head on the tile and let the now cooling water run over his face. As his mind and body now relaxed, he rethought the whole thing. He was sure about one thing: he didn’t want her to go. But, reviewing the way he reacted, he reluctantly realized that he may have possibly, slightly, maybe overreacted. He didn’t want Laina to think that he was a controlling freak. They’ve had disagreements before, every couple does, but this was the first time that he’s ever felt like she had slipped away the slightest bit. Maybe he was just worried that she would find someone she liked better and leave him. He sighed to himself, tired of thinking about it, and decided to go out and take a walk to the store. The cool air would be good for him. Opening the bathroom door tiredly, he found Chanyeol sprawled out on the floor next to the bed, staring up at the ceiling with his feet outstretched in the air. Kai saw this and nearly passed out from laughing so hard, busting out in laughter the instant he made eye contact with him. How his brother was still his eccentric, bubbly self after all these years he did not know. But he could definitely lighten the mood, and that was what Kai needed right now. He walked around his brother, who this whole time didn’t move an inch even while laughing too, and stood by the door. 
 
“I’m going to the store. Do you want anything?” he looked to his brother curiously, a relaxed face now replacing his earlier stressed one.
 
He swooshed his feet in the air before responding. “Mmmm no, I’m okay. No wait… get me… ehhh I don’t want that. Nevermind. Yeah, no, I’m fine.”
 
“I’ll be back later.” he turned to open the door before quietly closing it behind him. It was already getting dark out, so he quickly left the hotel to go to the corner store. Once he got there he searched for a few minutes before finally seeing what he wanted. A chocolate bar, and a small ream of sparkled ribbon. He walked up to the cashier who he saw was a woman. He sighed in relief, as that was what he needed for what he was about to ask.
 
“Umm, mam, do you know how to tie a pretty bow?” Kai asked the woman sheepishly, looking down as he knew she would give her a confused look.
 
“Yes, but why?” she asked, but to his relief, didn’t look bewildered.
 
“Uh, could you tie it around the chocolate bar?” he asked, looking down again as a light blush crept across his cheeks.
 
She let out a light laugh. “Sure. Is this for someone special?” She let a suspecting smile show.
 
“Yeah.” Kai replied softly as he remembered Laina’s favorite sweet was chocolate.
 
“But… from the looks of it,” the cashier looked at the longing hidden in Kai’s eyes, “it’s an apology isn’t it.” 
 
“Something like that…” Kai whispered a response to her statement, knowing it wasn’t a question. She finished the layered bow around the king sized chocolate bar and gave it to him with a look that said ‘good luck’. Kai began walking back to the hotel under the moon, enjoying the cool air exactly like he wanted to.
 
 
Meanwhile back in the hotel…
 
 
“Miss?”
 
“Excuse me, miss?”
 
“…huh?”
 
“You fell asleep. I thought you might want to know that it’s already night, so you should go up to your room and sleep there.” The receptionist spoke softly.
 
“Oh… yeah. Thank you.” Laina got up and rubbed her sleepy eyes, not even realizing that she had fallen asleep until she had woken up. She walked up the stairs and soon to her room, slightly hoping Kai wasn’t there. She just didn’t want to see him. She wanted to sleep on this whole thing and let it, if possible, never be brought up again. As she quietly opened the door, she scanned the room only to find a knocked out Chanyeol spread across the floor. She couldn’t hide a smile as she walked around him. No matter what situation, this boy would always be the one to either not understand it or laugh at it like it was the funniest thing in the world. Laina practically fell on the bed, noticing Kai wasn’t there, and got under the sheets. She couldn’t help but instantly fall asleep.
 
 
Meanwhile back outside…
 
 
Kai walked up to the hotel doors and was soon inside walking up the stairs to their shared room. He opened the door slowly, hoping that it wouldn’t creak, and saw the two knocked out. He walked over to the bed and saw Laina in the same clothes she left in, assuming she was too warn out to change. He stood there and slipped off his shirt and jeans, leaving him only in his baggy boxers. Pulling the covers off as lightly as possible, he slipped in and scooted close to Laina. Her back was to him, so he leaned over and put the chocolate bar next to her so that she would see it when she woke up. Settling himself back on his side of the bed, he slipped an arm around her waist and pulled her closer, drifting off to the sound of her hushed breathing and the soothing feeling of her heartbeat light vibrating her skin.
 
 
 
 
 
ahhh i know its a bit lengthy and not much happened, but i promise, it will get going soon! Thank you to all who subscribed, it really, really makes my day :]
please comment!