Chapter 9

My Guardians

 

KwangMi woke up with light illuminating her room. She groaned at the brightness.

“Good morning princess.” A slightly high but smooth voice greeted. KwangMi turned around to see who the voice belonged to but the room suddenly became dark. 

“What the?” KwangMi rubbed her eyes. When her eyes became use to the available light, she looked to the windows. The curtains were drawn apart, but the sky was a dark gray and she couldn’t really see anything. She heard someone walk around the room.

“Who are you?” KwangMi sleepily asked. The person shone a light from his hands.

“I’m Baekhyun, remember? I control light.” Baekhyun smiled sweetly.

“Oh yeah! You have the scary ageyo!” KwangMi snapped her fingers.

“Is my ageyo really that scary?” Baekhyun pouted. KwangMi smiled and saw a cute puppy in his face.

“Just a bit.” KwangMi nodded. Baekhyun smiled, thinking she was just joking.

“Come eat breakfast. D.O and I made breakfast. I made bacon~!” Baekhyun said as he turned the room’s real source of light and exited.

‘Bacon made by Baekhyun. They sound alike.” KwangMi giggled softly to herself. KwangMi quickly found the bathroom remembering her tour with Kai.

‘How am I going to fit in as princess with 12 weird guardians?’ KwangMi thought to herself with a smile as she started to brush her teeth. When she finished, she went down to the kitchen, probably the place she visited most already.

“Good morning Princess!” Tao and Sehun called from across the room at the same time. KwangMi smiled.

“Good morning!” She said to everyone. “Where’s my father?” She noticed her was the only one missing.

“He’s in a council meeting. You need to eat breakfast and get ready princes.” Suho said.

“Get ready for what?” KwangMi plopped herself down on a seat at the counter. D.O placed a plate of food in front of her.

“Today’s the day you’re officially going to become princess. Didn’t your father tell you? He made the decisions last night. He told everyone else.” Chen said before he took a sip of his tea. KwangMi choked on her food. Luhan lightly hit her back to help the food flow through.

“What?! I never heard of any of this! When did he say this?! I fell asleep right after-” KwangMi started but then remembered D.O’s small action for her. The thought made her smile.

“You fell asleep right before he told everyone.” D.O said with a smile. KwangMi continued to smile for another second.

“Wait! What am I supposed to do?! I don’t know anything about being a princess! What if they don’t like me?!” KwangMi panicked. Everyone raised an eyebrow at her sudden change in character.

“You’ll be fine. You don’t have to really do anything. All you need to do is sit there and be pretty. That’s natural for you, so you’ll do amazingly.” Chanyeol said from behind her. Chanyeol low voice somehow had a calming effect on her. KwangMi turned to face him and he gave her a small wink.

‘Wow, his face really is too cute for his voice.’ KwangMi thought and smiled back. KwangMi quickly finished her food and washed her dish.

“Okay. I’m ready to get made up.” KwangMi turned around with a sigh. However, no one was in sight.

‘Where could they have gone in a minute?’ KwangMi carefully walked around inspecting every corner of the kitchen looking for them. Kai sneakily teleported back into the kitchen. He walked even more quietly behind KwangMi and put a blindfold over her eyes.

“What the-” KwangMi started, but couldn’t finish her sentence before she was teleported into another room.

“Operation Princess is a go!” Sehun shouted as he took KwangMi from Kai and twirled her into a chair. KwangMi tried to take the blindfold off, but someone caught her hands.

“Trust us princess.” A low voice whispered into her ear. KwangMi blushed a bright red and slowly nodded.

‘Was that Ch- Chanyeol?!’ She thought as she put her hands down. She let someone play with her hair for a while.

“Ow.” She winced in pain.

“Mianhaeyo.” A female voice said.

‘What? I thought Exo was here!” KwangMi panicked.

“Okay, done with her hair!” The same voice said in a few minutes. KwangMi heard feet shuffle towards her. She heard many different voices adore her hair.

“Princess, what do you think about pink?” Tao asked from behind her. KwangMi showed a face of disgust.

“I hate pink.” She heard whispering behind her.

‘Did I say something that was wrong?’ She thought.

“Okay, put this on her.” She heard Suho say.

“Whoa. Calm down. I am not changing in front of boys.” KwangMi turned herself around.

“We’re going somewhere else princess.” She heard a female voice say. KwangMi nodded and was led out to another room. She heard only female voices and relaxed. In a little while, after blindly changing, KwangMi heard the voices gasp in awe.

“She’s really beautiful.”

“She’s not the same person.”

“I won’t have guessed.” She heard comments of surprise from every part of the room.

“Are you ready princess?” She heard someone say from behind her. KwangMi nodded a bit confused. The blind fold fell from her eyes and KwangMi looked in the mirror, only to find a goddess.  She gazed intently at her straight hair which hung down and rested on her shoulders. The long white dress, that only had a bejeweled waist to differ the top from bottom, gave her an innocent look. She never looked so beautiful before. She never knew she could look so beautiful.

‘Umma, is this really me?’ She thought in disbelief.

“Do you like it?” One of the ladies asked.

“It’s beautiful. Thank you.” KwangMi gratefully smiled. All the ladies smiled back.

“Come. Let’s show everyone.” Another lady said taking her hand. KwangMi obediently followed. In a different room, Exo was sitting there trying to be patient for KwangMi. The doors opened and the boys looked up in anticipation. A group of ladies appeared, but none of them were KwangMi. The boys sighed in disappointment and stopped paying attention. KwangMi finally came out after everyone, but no one seemed to notice her. KwangMi cleared , but no one heard her.

“Do you like it?” She finally asked. Exo looked up, but they couldn’t look away.

‘What have we done?’ They thought in shock. Each of their faces started to turn pink and the heat kept rising. They knew she’d look beautiful, but not as beautiful as she really did.

“Hello?” KwangMi was now in front of them. Exo blinked and cleared their throats.

“How is it?” KwangMi asked.

“You look beautiful.” Suho smiled when his face turned to its original color.

‘If only that sufficed.’ He thought as his smiled slightly faded. He looked at the clock. It was time to go and none of Exo was ready.

“Kai, time to go. Balli.” Kris ordered. Kai started to say something back at him, but he caught a glimpse of the time.

“Come princess. Let’s go to your father.” The lady took her hand and started to lead her somewhere. Worry started to fill her mind. She wasn’t very good with big crowds. She wasn’t very good at talking to people in general.

‘Just breathe.’ KwangMi thought to herself, taking a deep breath.

“You’ll do fine~.” The lady said as she opened the doors. In the room she saw a crowd of people. It looked like a press conference. She spotted her father on the side of the stage, beckoning for her to come over to him. She obediently went to him as the lady left. She could hear small whispers from the crowd, but no one paid much attention to her.

“You look beautiful.” Her father said embracing her into a hug.

“Thank you.” She said. Her father explained everything she had to do. It was pretty much what Chanyeol said; sit there and be pretty. KwangMi calmed down assuring herself that her dad would take care of everything. Her father went first onto the stage.

‘Where’s Exo?’ KwangMi suddenly remembered.

“I have called you all here to reveal the next heir to my throne. My daughter, Jung KwangMi.” Her father gestured for her to come on the stage. All eyes were on her and didn’t show any signs of leaving. She bowed respectfully and sat next to her father.

‘Now the hard part.’ KwangMi took a deep breath. ‘Their questions.’

At first, the questions were easy. They were questions even KwangMi could make up an answer for. However, she didn’t say anything. All the talking was up to her father.

“I have a question. Princess, would you please do me the honor of answering please?” A handsome man said with a bit of an evil smirk. KwangMi’s eyes widened and she looked to his father for help, but he looked just as shocked. He didn’t expect anyone to specifically ask KwangMi to answer a question. KwangMi slightly nodded seeing that her father wasn’t going to help her out of this situation.

“Well, princess. The questions until now have been about the future of the Exotics, but quite frankly, I want to know about your past. Where have you been for the past 16 years? Where is your mother? What are your powers?” The man asked.

‘Why Jonghyun? Why?!’ KwangMi thought enraged. ‘Who let him in? He’s going to ruin everything. If I answer, more questions with arise from him.’ Kwangjoo gave KwangMi and apologetic look.

‘Guess it’s all up to me then.’ KwangMi thought clearing .

“I’m sorry if I seem rude in any of what I say, but does it really matter where I’ve been? I’m here now and I am the hope of the Exotics. As for my mother, she’s dead. Where ever she is now, I hope she’s happy with where I am and knows that I love her very much. Her past no longer has any effect on the Exotics future. The questions have all been about the future because that’s all the people need to care about. They want to know that they are safe.” KwangMi boldly finished.

‘Well, said princess.’ Jonghyun thought surprised.

“And what are your powers?” He continued to ask.

“I have none.” KwangMi heard gasps and whispers come from the crowd. “But remember, vampires have until they are 18 to get their powers. I still have 2 years.” Jonghyun sat down slowly after giving her a small bow. From then on, most of the questions were directed to her, but none of them were quite as dangerous. The conference soon ended and everyone left.

“You did well KwangMi.” Her father ruffled her hair. KwangMi smiled, proud of herself as well.

‘Maybe being princess isn’t as hard as I make it.’