Lee Sungmin

Rumored Love Story

 

Sungmin has been standing there, thinking.

Donghae waited, patiently. Sungmin is thankful for that.

Sungmin has liked Donghae ever since the guy had first confessed to him in 7th grade. But because of the fear that none of Donghae’s friends or family members will accept him, he stayed away from the guy. Sungmin remembers the first confession quite well. Sungmin received a pink envelope, just like the one that he received yesterday, and the letter had said, “I’m going straight to the point with this. I like you, Lee Sungmin.” At the end of the letter, there he saw the name of his suitor. Sungmin remembered smiling. It was the first time someone confessed to him, and that someone is popular, handsome, and rich.

Which is why he stayed away.

Who wouldn’t?

Sungmin remembered how he would smile every time Donghae would pass by. How his heart would flutter every time he gets a new pink envelope that pretty much only said, “I like you. –Lee Donghae,” with smiley faces around the letter. He remembered the first time Donghae finally got the guts to talk to him back in 9th grade, and told him face to face that the latter liked him. He remembered the way Henry said it was a bad idea to like Donghae back especially because of the family backgrounds. He remembered telling his mom, and the way she didn’t talk to him for a week because she was upset that Sungmin’s feelings can’t be stopped.

Now, here he is. It’s either he accepts Donghae, or goes back to the way it was since 7th grade.

Both of them snapped back into reality when they heard a door open. It was their Pre-Calculus teacher, Ms. Kim.

“What are you guys still doing here? The school is about to close. By the way, congratulations, Donghae. See you both tomorrow.”

That’s when Sungmin and Donghae realized that they’ve been standing there for about an hour now since Kyuhyun had left.

“Oh God, I need to go home,” Sungmin exclaimed.

“I can take you home,” Donghae offered, but Sungmin shook his head.

“No, it’s fine. I’ll take the bus.”

“I’ll walk you to the bus stop,” Donghae offered once more which Sungmin didn’t resist.

Their hairs blew sideways as the wind bombards it the moment they stepped out of the school grounds. They made a quick stop at Donghae’s car so that Donghae could put his bag in it.

“You sure you don’t want me to take you home?” Donghae asked.

Sungmin whipped his head side to side. “I’m sure. I’ll be fine. I’ve been taking the bus home since middle school.”

“Must be fun.”

“Riding a bus? Nah. I mean, considering the fact that someone just randomly farts and fills the whole bus with that disgusting smell, it’s not fun. Oh, did I mention that when it’s rush hour, you have no choice but to stand up and suddenly feel someone feeling your ? Plus, the constant immediate stop the driver sometimes does, I suggest you just keep on driving that Chevy Camaro of yours. You look good in it,” Sungmin blabbed.

“I really find you extremely adorable just talking about your bus ride home,” Donghae said, smiling at the way Sungmin hid his face. “And since when have you been watching me drive my car?”

“W-what?”

“You said it just now; I look good in my Camaro. Sungmin, have you been stalking me?” Donghae teased.

Sungmin punched Donghae’s arm playfully. “What I meant was, a rich person like you looks cool in a car like that.”

Donghae stopped walking, making Sungmin stop a couple of steps away from him. “What’s wrong?”

“You never answered me,” Donghae plainly said. “I passed the test, Sungmin. You promised.”

Sungmin chuckled. “I thought it was obvious already?”

“What are you talking about?” Donghae asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Clearly, I promised you that you can do anything after you’ve passed the test. So, ever since you showed me that test score, it was pretty much answered already, right?”

Donghae grinned. “Meaning?”

“Meaning, I’m yours already, stupid!”

Sungmin watched Donghae walk closer to him. This kind of feeling, it felt exceptionally nice. Knowing that Donghae is his now and no other person can have him, it felt exceptionally nice.

Donghae leaned closer to Sungmin’s face, but Sungmin leaned back as if trying to avoid what  he thinks Donghae is about to do.

“Sungmin?”

“Mmm?”

“Your bus is here.” Sungmin straightened up, and turned around to see his bus already piling up with passengers.

“Oh crap. I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?” Without another word from Donghae, Sungmin ran to his bus.

Sungmin found a seat next to an old lady with a puppy in her hand. “May I sit here?”

The old lady nodded. “Thank you. Awww, your puppy is so adorable.”

“Thank you, dear. I found him at the park without food or water. I’m bringing him home. Darling, your face is red, are you okay?”

Sungmin touched his cheeks and it felt really warm. He’s not turning red because he’s sick. He’s turning red because he’s finally going out with the guy that he likes. The guy that he never thought he’d have. The guy that his mom and best friend warned him to never get close to because they’re from two different worlds. Besides all of those things, everything felt right.

Sungmin got off at his stop.

It wasn’t at their house, but at a small bakery five blocks away.

The small bakery is owned by his mother’s best friend, which is also Henry’s mother, which she co-owns until the time her best friend comes back from America.

“Mommy, I’m here! Sorry I’m late.”

“It’s fine. I’m more worried about the fact that you always come here right after school. You could just stay at home, you know. I have Ryeowook here with me anyway.”

“I’d rather accompany you both than stay by myself in that house. Woah, the croissants are all gone.” Sungmin smiled as he picked up the empty tray.

“Your recipe’s awesome. Henry stopped by to take the remaining three. He told me to tell you he’s sorry for leaving you again today. He just didn’t want to see that guy that has a crush on you,” Ryeowook said.

“Oh.” That was all Sungmin could say. He doesn’t exactly know when he’s going to be able to tell his mom what happened today. In fact, he doesn’t know if it’s important enough to tell his mom. But then again, they don’t keep secrets from each other. She’s all the family he got.

“How’s school?” Sungmin’s mother asked.

Sungmin laughed. “Great. I’m so happy that it’s Friday tomorrow. First week of school is always so hectic.”

~

Later that night, Sungmin fumbles with his phone, deciding whether or not he was going to tell his best friend the news tonight, or just wait until tomorrow morning.

He decided to call anyway.

The call went straight to voicemail. Sungmin looked at the time; 9:25 PM. He should still be up. He decided to call again, and this time, Henry answered.

“Hey Sungmin,” Henry answered with his soft voice.

“Henry, I have to tell you something.” Sungmin could already hear Henry scrambling to sit up on his bed.

“What is it?”

“I… well… remember what I told you earlier in English class today?”

“Which one? That you wanted a rabbit or that thing about Donghae?”

“The latter.”

“What about it?”

Sungmin stopped for a moment to take a deep breath. “Well… you see… a promise is a promise, right? And well… you know I don’t break promises. And so… the thing is, when I made that promise, I didn’t think he would actually pass a hard test… and…”

“Wait a minute,” Henry cut Sungmin off. “So are you saying Donghae passed that Pre-Calculus test we had?”

“Mmm..” Sungmin nodded.

“No way! Even I know I didn’t pass that! What did he get?”

“A 71,” Sungmin replied quite excitedly.

“A 71?!” Henry screamed over the phone. “No way! So, what happened then?”

“We’re together now.”

Henry choked. “Excuse me, would you kindly repeat that please?”

“Donghae and I are together now.”

It was at that same moment when Sungmin’s mom busted inside his room.

“M-mommy? Henry, I’ll call you back.” Sungmin ended the call with Henry and faced his raging mother.

“Did I hear that right, young man?”

“M-mommy, I wanted to tell you earlier, but..”

“Lee Sungmin. I told you to not go beyond the line of liking that guy. This is serious. What would his parents say? What would the school say? What would everyone say? I told you to never associate yourself with those rich people, sweetie. You’d only end up getting hurt.”

“But mommy..”

“I’m disappointed in you.”

Sungmin’s mother left, and he was left to ponder in his room.

“Did I make the right decision?” Sungmin heaved a deep sigh. 

 

 

(A/N): This story is getting there. Almost there. You guys still with me? :\

I'm still completely not sure if I'll be able to update next week. But if I do update, I hope you guys will like it. :D I'm not a good writer //sobs

Please please please comment~ <3 THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO'S STILL SUBSCRIBED TO THIS STORY! I'M FOREVER THANKFUL TO EVERYONE WHO HAS STICKED WITH ME SINCE REST IN MY HEART <3 I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GUYS PRAISE ME FOR BEING SUCH A GOOD WRITER WHILE I SIT HERE REREADING EVERYTHING I'VE WRITTEN AND JUST SHAKES MY HEAD TT___TT