Chapter 48

Forever Chingu

Once she reached the door she could make out his footsteps chasing after her. She had to get away from him before he caught up to her. Facing him again would be too embarrassing. Rushing down the steps she could hear Dark barking after her when she made her way across the yard and down the road. She was running out of breath but she needed to get away first and made sure she was away.

“Taeyeon!” he shouted from behind her.

Why was he still there chasing her? Taeyeon made a face pushing herself to run faster. Turning around the corner she came to an abrupt stop when she saw Yoona pacing back and forth in front of the mansion. Feeling relieved Taeyeon quickened her pace and toward Yoona.

“Unnie! Why are you running?” Yoona questioned as Taeyeon came toward her.

“Help me tell him off,” was what Taeyeon quickly uttered when she came to a split stop beside Yoona before running up the stairs into the mansion.

As she reached the hallway she found Leeteuk making his way down the hallway. Feeling as if a stern seriousness filled the air Taeyeon came to an abrupt stop to stare at him without realizing she’d done so.

“T…” he began but Taeyeon quickly turned and ran up the stairs leaving him with the echoing closing of her door.

;;;;;

“Where are you going?” asked Yoona blocking Changmin’s way from the left and to the right.

“Taeyeon went inside, didn’t she?” Changmin questioned nodding toward the house. “Let me see her.”

“I haven’t seen her,” Yoona lied.

“I saw her come this way. Please, let me talk to her,” Changmin begged.

Yoona just stared at him, “Did something happen?”

Changmin bit his bottom lip with a sullen sigh, “Then…tell her to come by when she’s ready…and tell her I’m sorry.”

;;;;;

Taeyeon sat down on her bed staring at the door heaving a sigh. She had to take a breather in order to calm herself down.

“It’s ok…I won’t let it happen again…I’m sorry,” Taeyeon apologized to herself exhaling deeply before glancing at the album on her lap.

Flipping through the pages slowly Taeyeon eyed every picture of Changmin as a child. Changmin, his family, and Leeteuk. No one else. What had she been expecting to see except for the good old times that had been forgotten? Closing the book Taeyeon looked up when there was a knock on her door.

“Unnie! It’s me!”

Setting the album aside Tayeon got up to the open the door casually.

“Unnie, did something happen? He seemed desperate to see you,” Yoona told.

“Oh…” Taeyeon managed a small smile. “It’s nothing.”

“Well…he wanted to apologize to you,” Yoona added, “but are you sure nothing is wrong?”

Taeyeon nodded thanking Yoona before watching her walk away.

After dinner Taeyeon took a short shower and glanced over the photo album once more before crawling into bed. However, unable to sleep Taeyeon unlocked her door and walked down the stairs with cell phone in hand as she made her way to the kitchen. While making her way down the long hallway she noticed a yellow glow coming from the kitchen. Had someone left the lights on? Or was someone up in the middle of the night?

Easing her heart by talking to herself Taeyeon edged forward and stopped by the side of the kitchen entrance before taking a deep breath. Her heart thudded in her ears and her chest shook in paranoia. Walking forward she saw Leeteuk sitting alone at the table with a glass of water before him. He seemed to be in deep thoughts looking like a 40 year old sitting alone with a cup of beer before him worrying about phone bills, work, children, and life itself.  

“What are you doing?” Taeyeon questioned.

She watched as Leeteuk jumped from where he was sitting and turned to see her in a shocked manner.

He took a painful deep breath exclaiming, “You scared me!”

“You scared me too,” Taeyeon stammered walking into the kitchen pouring a cup of glass for herself.

After getting her cup she turned around to glance at Leeteuk.

“Why are you up? You couldn’t sleep?” she wondered taking a seat at the head of the table by him.

“You could say,” he nodded then looked at her. “Why are you up?”

“I don’t know. Just couldn’t sleep,” Taeyeon replied.

The two remained silent with Leeteuk debating about whether he should say what was on his mind or not.

“I was wondering something…is it ok to ask you?”

Taeyeon glanced to her right at Leeteuk, who seemed very hesitant.

“It’s fine,” Taeyeon nodded wondering what it was he had on his mind that seemed to itch at him.

Leeteuk turned his face away from her so that only his side profile was visible.

He finally started, “Between Changmin and I…who would you choose?”

Utter surprise hit her first before her eyes fully focused on him. Leeteuk…or Changmin? Why? Leeteuk was just a mere stranger who had happened to bring her along on the trip to his grandma’s mansion. And Changmin…Taeyeon paused within her thoughts. Who was he? The memory of being in his bedroom with him stung her memory before she could tell herself he wasn’t just like that. He’d carried her on his back, gave her his lucky charm, and he always happened to be there when she needed it. So who did she feel more certain about?

Leeteuk slowly turned to glance at her and an expression of being sorry appeared in his eyes before Taeyeon turned away. She must have still looked too surprised by his question.

Was this question about who she knew more personally? No….Taeyeon was sure she knew better. This question wasn’t just about that. Something else must be bothering Leeteuk but she couldn’t figure out ‘what’ in that short moment that she was thinking. Between Changmin and Leeteuk…they were sworn enemies, who would never give up any chance in the world to understand each other again. Then Taeyeon realized it. She wanted to say neither but instead another answer formed from .

“Changmin,” Taeyeon replied without hesitance. “But why?”

A simple glitter of hope in Leeteuk’s eyes immediately died out before she thought she saw him press his jaws together. She’d said it wrong…

“I think I feel tired now.” Leeteuk voiced before slowly getting up and when he looked down at her the charm Changmin had given her hung from her neck brightly. It sort of looked like it was mocking him.

Taeyeon watched as Leeteuk walked away feeling a sort of loss. It was hard to describe, hard to put into words…no…no one could put it into words. The thumping of her heart raced painfully. Why did it feel like her chance was slipping away? Why did Leeteuk look hurt…and why did she feel guilty about it?

;;;;;

Why had he bothered asking? He should’ve realized the answer before hand. What had he been hoping for?

Amongst his dreams the rattling of the doorknob awoke him back to the darkness he was surrounded in. Glancing at the door to his left as soon as every little detail in the room surged back into his memory through the blackness of the night he could make out the gold doorknob moving. Someone was trying to open the door. It didn’t scare him at first until the fragmented memory of finding Zhoumi in his room hit him like a bat that Leeteuk could feel his heart race.

How could he have forgotten about waking up to discovering Zhoumi in his room? Right after that hit him he could see, somewhere in the back of his head, Zhoumi and Junsu struggling against each other. Leeteuk shook his head at the memories flying back at him. Was that what had caused the argument between Gyuri, Junsu, and Seungho?

The rattling of the doorknob suddenly became quiet and Leeteuk swore he heard footsteps walk away. Unable to return to sleep Leeteuk raced for the lights painting the whole room into a mixture of yellowish-white. What exactly had happened those past few days?

When the dim rays of the sunlight flashed through the window in his room Leeteuk pulled out the courage inside him and opened the door. It had taken all night to convince himself not to be afraid.

The hallways were bare empty. Whoever had come down last night had gone…if it had been someone. Leeteuk walked toward the stairs pausing a bit before Taeyeon’s room wondering if she’d gotten a good night’s sleep. Then hoping they’d get to talk to each other later in the day Leeteuk walked pass her room and down the hallway until he reached Junsu’s room.

It took more than just a couple of knocks to get Junsu out of bed and to the door.

His eyes widened then he narrowed them once he saw Leeteuk, “What?”

“I want to talk to you,” Leeteuk told.

“This early?” Junsu questioned. “Can it wait until later?”

“Can I come in?” Leeteuk pressed on.

Junsu stared at him then groaned and allowed him in at last. Leeteuk first glanced around the clean room before spotting the chair by the desk. Sitting on the bed Junsu waited for Leeteuk to say whatever it was that he wanted to talk about, but instead when he didn’t Junsu looked up to find Leeteuk staring at the chair.

“What, do you want to take a seat?” asked Junsu. ’You don’t need to wait for me to invite you. This is like your house since it’s your grandma’s mansion, isn’t it?”

When he spoke Leeteuk recalled the times when Gyuri complained about his mean attitude. Leeteuk didn’t quite understand why Gyuri complained or hated it so much but now that Leeteuk was finally one on one with Junsu he understood why Gyuri felt the way she did.  

Junsu’s vibe that he gave off told others that he didn’t welcome them. The way he spoke matched with his vibe. He spoke in the kind of angry tone that could easily push one’s buttons if he were to say something insulting.

Removing his eyes from the chair he allowed them to land on Junsu who stared back at him in an impatient manner.

“What?” Junsu questioned roughly again.

“About the other day…”

“What day?”

“When you guys were arguing about who hurt me.”

Junsu’s eyebrow twitched easily showing that he wasn’t quite in the mood to be talking about that story again. “What else do you want to add about that day?”

“Zhoumi did it. You saw him hurt me, right?” Leeteuk asked.

Junsu’s eyebrow twitched again before he deeply frowned then asked in a ridiculing tone, “Oh, so no w you remember everything?”   

“So, I am recalling it,” Leeteuk told himself.

“What’s with you?” Junsu questioned. “You and Taeyeon…are so weird.”

Leeteuk felt a small curve at the corner of his lips. A comment which included both him and Taeyeon made his heart foolishly jump.

“Thanks.”

Junsu frowned at him again confused at why Leeteuk had taken the compliment with such a positive attitude.

“Then there’s one other thing I’ve been wondering,” Junsu said taking Leeteuk’s attention from his earlier excitement.

“Something else?” Leeteuk asked.  

“Why were you drenched? Where were you before you came back and collapsed on the doorsteps? You weren’t taking a dip in the water somewhere, were you?” Junsu asked.

Leeteuk didn’t know whether to decide if Junsu was just curious or whether he was also worried and being sarcastic. Pushing that aside Leeteuk tried to think back…but it was all a blur. It seemed to be clogged somewhere deep in his memory and it felt like he wasn’t allowed to recall where he had been and what he had been doing before he returned.  

;;;;;

Everyone was rejoicing by the table when Taeyeon sat down for breakfast. Gyuri had served them all with scrambled eggs and kimchi soup that morning. All but Leeteuk had arrived early. Taeyeon seemed to be the only one who noticed until Siwon pointed it out aloud.

“Oh…he’s gone for a walk somewhere,” Junsu replied.

“A walk?” Siwon questioned.

“How do you know?” Seungho added.

Junsu glanced at them all, “It’s not like I tossed his body out there somewhere. Don’t freak out on me.”

Junsu saw Gyuri’s glare from the corner of his eye.

“He came to see me this morning, that’s all. End of story,” Junsu told with his hands up trying to prove that he hadn’t done anything to their fellow, Leeteuk.

“He came to see you?” Siwon grabbed Junsu’s attention.

Junsu nodded as if he were hesitating. “He shouldn’t be out for long. Why are you all so worked up?”

Siwon shook his head.

“Yea, is something wrong, oppa?” Yoona questioned in a whisper.

Siwon shook his head, “It’s just…I’ve never heard of Leeteuk taking a walk before.”

Taeyeon, who’d been listening all along, just picked at the food on her plate as if she hadn’t been listening all along. Who else here knew about what Leeteuk had asked her last night?

After they all scrambled away from the kitchen leaving the dishes to Gyuri Taeyeon headed upstairs feeling as if something other than what Leeteuk had asked her was bothering her. Alone in her room Taeyeon found herself browsing through the photo album endlessly. After she’d gone through every picture she shut the photo album and stared at the front cover with random swirl designs. Reopening the cover she glanced through the pictures again, this time observing the backgrounds of each. And in one she spotted what had seemed to be bothering her.

A room she’d never seen before. A small Changmin holding a large green T-Rex was posing in a room with a large painting of a river above a small fireplace. There was a door just to little Changmin’s left. And it got Taeyeon wondering if it was a door connecting two rooms. But there was one thing Taeyeon clearly knew: the picture had been taken in Leeteuk’s grandma’s mansion. The fireplace was the answer. Such a fireplace could not have been built inside Changmin’s homey house.

Within minutes Taeyeon was wondering the halls feeling lost. She was carrying the picture she’d removed from the photo album just in case she forgot how the room looked like. Opening every door Taeyeon found many different rooms. From just plain guest rooms to empty or storage rooms. It felt like a painful hour and a half before she finally felt like giving up and heading back to wherever she had come from.

Luck had finally befallen her when she came across the room she’d been searching for. The door opened quietly and inside the red bricked fireplace first caught her eyes. Though it was partially covered up she could still recognize it as the same one in the picture. The river painting had been replaced with that of a sunset on the beach scene. An even round rug sat in the middle of the room with an expensive round table to the far left of the fireplace. And the door…was exactly on the fireplace’s right.

If she opened the door would it lead her to another bedroom? Or the bathroom? Or was it just a normal closet? Taeyeon felt perplexed as she reached for the doorknob feeling her heart beat in both excitement and fear of what would happen next. When she finally turned the knob she was greeted with a staircase.


***Hey guys, sorry for the delayed update. I was busy these past few weeks and have been unable to touch my stories at all. But now that finals are over with and I have a one month break before the next semester begins I shall be able to write :) I hope this chapter was a enjoyable! If I don't update any time soon then Merry Christmas and enjoy the snow (if you have it, that is) Have a great break everyone!!!

***Guess where the staircase leads? ;)