Chapter 23

Forever Chingu

“What’s going on?” Siwon questioned.

Yoona stared at the empty drive before letting her eyes land on Leetuek’s back curiously.

Changmin finally stopped by the side of the road feeling a bit satisfied. Having watched Leeteuk pull Taeyeon toward the mansion gave him an unlikable feeling about Teuk, especially since he did it so suddenly. It sort of felt as if Teuk was trying to get back at him by using her. Taeyeon stared up at him clueless.

“Your question earlier about my uncle…” Changmin started off. “I’m sorry I showed that I was angry.”

Taeyeon waited for him to go on.

“My uncle is not joke,” he continued as if clarifying some sort of misunderstanding, “the words he said that day when I came with him, they’re true. And I don’t know the reason about why he came last night but it must have been because something unpleasant happened.”

Taeyeon continued to stare at him then felt slightly nervous when the way he looked at her changed. It was as if he knew that she knew something he didn’t.

“What exactly did happen?” he asked.

She was unable to avert her eyes elsewhere. His gaze was so strong and his eyes were so charming. Yet, it felt kind of strange if she told him of the uncertain story herself because she wasn’t sure of anything.

“I’m not sure,” she told then quickly added, “it’s the truth, honestly. Yoona suddenly had pneumonia and I was out of it most of the time, so I really don’t know what happened.”

He slowly and slightly nodded his head then reached his hand forward to touch the side of her head. “You’re ok, right?”

“Uh…yea.”

Why was it that he made her heart beat so fast during these moments when he was so close?

“Feel free to come and see my uncle whenever he’s in or come visit. If you’re ever bored I’ll take you around,” he offered.

“Yes…thanks.”

“Then I’ll go now.” he told.

After waving to him and watching him go Taeyeon turned around to head back toward the mansion.

;;;;;

“What happened to you?” Siwon questioned as he followed his friend into the house.

“I slipped,” Leeteuk replied blankly as he headed toward his bedroom.

“You slipped?” Siwon repeated with almost a laugh. “How in the world did that happen? Don’t tell me you went skinny dipping when you were going to go look for Taeyeon.”

“Looking for Taeyeon? That’s a misunderstanding on your part,” Leeteuk told.

“What?” Siwon asked lost. “What do you mean misunderstanding? You clearly said you were going to go look for her, did you not?”

Leeteuk turned to look at Siwon, “What do you want?” Before Siwon was able to speak Leeteuk cut him off. “I slipped on some moss and fell into a river, ok? End of story. I didn’t go anywhere. Now get out, I want to change.” he told once he reached the door to his bedroom.

He closed the door in Siwon’s face leaving him wide eyed. Before changing Leeteuk thought to himself. That girl had appeared him out of no where…had he ever known a Kang Shin Ae? Leeteuk couldn’t recall.

“Teukie…” she had called him Teukie…only people who were close to him called him Teukie.

Why…did he suddenly remember her and her name and what she had called him? He was…able to remember.

;;;;;

After she had stepped back into the mansion Yoona grabbed her arm leading her up the stairs to her bedroom. Once they were in Yoona’s bedroom Yoona sat her down on the bed and turned to look at her with her arms locked.

“Unnie! Why do you always go missing?” she questioned. “You should always tell me where you’re going so that we all don’t have to go searching for you every time. Why is it that every time you go missing Leeteuk goes missing right after? And then when we find you you’re always with that guy.”

Taeyeon shrugged with a slight smile, “Sorry.”

“Who is he anyway? What’s his name again? Cha…Cha…” Yoona tried to recall by frowning and tilting her head up toward the ceiling.

“Changmin?”

“Yes!” Yoona clapped her hands together. “Changmin. Aish…what’s the relationship between you two? The way you all were earlier was so strange.”

“Do you have to talk so fast?” Taeyeon questioned.

“You owe me an explanation anyway after going missing non-stop,” Yoona pointed out.

“Whatever.”

“Don’t whatever me.”

“Ok, what is it that you want to know? I’ll answer as best as I can,” Taeyeon said emphasizing the word “best”.

Yoona smiled as if satisfied and Taeyeon wondered why her face always looked so fragile.

“Does he like you? I didn’t notice that you were wearing his shirt at all.” Yoona seemed to be talking to herself.

Taeyeon raised her right eyebrow while looking at her friend. When Yoona turned to look at her she immediately answered, “It wasn’t his shirt.”

“That’s not the point here,” Yoona observed, “do you like him?  No, no. It should be how far have you two gone? During all the time you’ve gone missing…ah…as Gyuri says a boy and girl cannot be gone so long without having done anything.” Yoona nodded and turned to stare back at Taeyeon. “So…what did you two do?”

Taeyeon opened in disbelief. “What do you think we could have done when we were supposed to be searching for Leeteuk?”

“Ah…Leeteuk…I almost forgot that too. It seemed like a lover’s quarrel earlier. Do you like Leeteuk too?” Yoona asked.

Taeyeon laughed, “This feels more like an interrogation than you wanting to know an explanation, Im Yoona.”

“Curiosity makes me like this. Anyway, how can I not be curious when one guy was pulling you this way and then another pulls you out of our sight?” Yoona questioned moving her arms about. “So, who do you like more? Changmin or Leeteuk?”

“I have no answer,” Taeyeon simply answered.

“Liar.” Yoona immediately accused.

Taeyeon let out a helpless laugh.

“Answer me. We’re friends for all you know. It’s not a big deal is it?”

Taeyeon turned away from her friend. She was sure that she wouldn’t be able to get out of the room unless she gave Yoona an answer. She barely knew Leeteuk and he had only been there when he’d found her screaming frantically inside the mansion. Other than that Changmin had left the best impression on her. His warm back, nice smile, the necklace, and the way he charmed her without doing anything already made her excited.

“Who are you thinking of?” Yoona broke into her thoughts. “I mean with that smile on your face.”

Taeyeon immediately turned to look at her friend then laughed. Yoona laughed in reply.

Taeyeon made a face then said, “Changmin.”

“Ah…” Yoona teased. “He does seem like your type. Good thing you don’t seem to have any competition around here. Besides he seems interested in you too.”

Taeyeon felt like blushing. “Shut up.”

Yoona laughed satisfied with the outcome of the interrogation.  

When they finally returned downstairs Siwon turned to look at them.

“Where did you two go?” he asked.

Yoona just smiled, “Why? Is lunch ready?” She turned to Taeyeon pulling her after him. “Unnie, lets go!”

It had to be the first time they were all actually gathered at the kitchen table. Gyuri had suddenly become the cook among them all. Taeyeon was pretty sure that from now on Gyuri would prepare all the three meals they’d eat each day. They chatted loudly at the table and Taeyeon wasn’t able to keep up with all the conversations. Who knew that all these confusing people had so much differences in their lives.

“So, where did you disappear off to Taeyeon?” Jang Hyuk questioned.

“Yea, next time you bother about going anywhere please let one of us know ahead of time,” Junsu told.

“They’re all annoyed from splitting up into groups all the time,” Zhoumi added.

Taeyeon nodded, “I’d been advised by Yoona already. I won’t do it again.”

“So, where did you go? And where did Leeteuk disappear to?” asked Gyuri. “Why is it that Leeteuk always disappears after Taeyeon?”

“Yea, why?” Junsu agreed. “Do you have a girlfriend around here somewhere?”

“Leeteuk.” Jang Hyuk called.

Taeyeon turned to look at Leeteuk, who was sitting beside Siwon. He seemed to have spaced out during their conversation. When Siwon nudged him Leeteuk finally looked up as if he were confused.

“What?” he asked.

“You weren’t paying attention?” asked Junsu. “We were asking if you had a girlfriend around here.”

“You’ve seen her?” Leeteuk let it slip.

They all became silent.

“Seen who?” Gyuri questioned.

“Uh…no one. Forget it.” Leeteuk told then stretched out his arms. “I’m so full and tired. I’m going to go to my room now.”

“What’s with him?” Zhoumi asked.

“He has a girlfriend, I’m sure of it,” Junsu muttered.

Taeyeon stared at the doorway, however. Where exactly had he gone? And why had he suddenly appeared when she was talking to Changmin? Was the place where he’d been near the river? So, had he heard the question she’d asked Changmin?

And again at dinner Leeteuk seemed lost in thought.


***I decided to shift the mood a bit in this chapter. The scene which I'd consider cute between Taeyeon and Yoona doesn't exactly go with this dark-creepy story but I thought I should add some other kind of life to this story.

***And Leeteuk is most likely flustered at the moment because of a few things: 1) Considering that he has such a bad memory he actually remembers the girl 2) And being able to remember bothers him about why he is suddenly remembering all these events from a few minutes ago 3) Kang Shin Ae called him "Teukie"