Chapter 21

Forever Chingu

Unable to go against him they watched as Leeteuk made his way down the drive.

There was only one place Taeyeon hadn’t made it to yesterday.

;;;;;

They passed the white house and a medium sized batch of tall trees standing together. Taeyeon couldn’t spot anything but a lot of darkness between the space in the trees. How had Changmin grown up in this area?

It was another minute or two before a long house came into view. Its exterior was simple and indeed the house was painted a blank white. Some pine trees stood behind the house along with a chimney that floated up above the roof.

Taeyeon’s back quickly went cold once Changmin took his arm off from around her shoulder. She watched him knock on the door and they waited for his uncle to come to the door but no one answered them.

“Is he home?” she asked.

“I don’t think so,” Changmin told taking a step down from the steps. “He often goes out on his own without telling anyone. Sorry for making you walk all this way.”

He finally turned to her.

“It’s not a problem…really,” Taeyeon insisted almost blushing.

“Lets go back.”

They were silent the first few dozen steps with only the dirt rustling beneath their feet. Questions and curious thoughts rushed about Taeyeon’s silent mind. There was so much to ask but she couldn’t say anything. Even if she asked would he know the answers? Would he think anything of her?

“Where’d you grow up Taeyeon?” Changmin asked looking down at her.

She hesitated a bit before answering, “Busan.”

“Ah…Busan?” he repeated as if amazed. “You must have been well off there. You probably aren’t used to the surroundings here then.”

Taeyeon immediately recalled the environment she’d grew up in in Australia. Compared to the garbage home she’d grown up in this little small village was a million times better.

“What? Is something wrong?” Changmin asked after she’d suddenly gone quiet.

“Oh…I find both places comfortable,” she lied.

Changmin smiled, “That’s good to hear. I’ve been to Seoul before but what’s funny is I can’t adjust to city life.”

Memories of searching through the garbage bins and stealing food from others flashed into her mind. She remembered watching others eat along the side of the road and if they left any food she’d quickly run to the table to eat it after the people had left the table. She and her uncle fought over their shares. It was a real pathetic way of life. Both her city lives were completely different and she didn’t like either of them.

“City life…isn’t really any different,” Taeyeon pointed out. “The only things villages lack is the loud noise of cars passing by day and night.”

“You think so?” Changmin said. “Well, instead of cars we have dogs howling at night.”

Taeyeon laughed a little at his remark.

“Do you have any siblings?”

Why was he hitting every single hidden spot in her? Even if she felt awful at some point his smile charmed her too much for her to keeping conscious about her feelings toward the past.

“I don’t have any siblings.”

“None at all?” he asked then took a big breath. “You’re like me. Growing up being lonely. Even when you’re with friends, you’re lonely. When your parents weren’t there, you’re lonely, when they were there, you’re still lonely.” Changmin suddenly became sullen in silence then smiled. “But you must have had more friends than me, so you shouldn’t be lonely.”

Taeyeon couldn’t take her eyes off him. It was like watching him drown in sadness. She didn’t know how to describe the feelings emerging within her. Similarity? Sympathy? What was it? She was no different from him. Her life hadn’t been better, she wanted to tell him that to comfort him.

Before realizing it they’d almost reached the gate by the road. Unable to mutter a word she glanced up at him then glanced down toward his hand. Once they stepped onto the side of the road Taeyeon felt her heart try to leap out of her chest when his hand took a hold of hers. Pausing in her steps she turned to look up at him.

Changmin smiled shyly looking down at the ground to avoid her gaze. “You’re pretty. I said that before.” He was quiet for a few seconds. “Is it…ok?”

Taeyeon wasn’t sure if she should scream or jump for joy. In the end she just nodded lightly clutching his hand in return.

;;;;;

Leeteuk looked all around him while making his way down the road. The trees looked different from last night as the sun shone down on them. And as always the road was bare. Glancing toward the left he passed fat bushes and thick trees all lined up next to one another. Was there nothing around but only trees? Leeteuk came to a quick stop when he saw the gate leading to a dirt yard. Taking a step forward he glanced at the ground then to the wooden storage shed before him. Could he remember anything about the place? Not really. Only images of fighting with Changmin on the road were clear.

Voices appeared out of no where and he quickly turned to see two figures walking down the path. Quickly searching around he saw that there was no where to hide. Running back out the gate he hid behind a large fat tree down the side of the road and waited. And he watched as Changmin took her hand and they continued their walk down the road. As he stepped out to stare after him a voice made him turn around.

A flock of cold wind whipped his face when he spotted her standing in front of him. She smiled back sweetly as if they were two old lovers who had not seen each other in years.

“Leeteuk?” she asked.

Leeteuk stared at her in return. Who was she again?

“We saw each other last time, remember? After you walked out of the cabin I had to walk back alone,” she tried.

Leeteuk thought hard but couldn’t remember. “I’m sorry.”

Her expression saddened making Leeteuk feel guilty.

“Then would you mind taking a walk with me?” she questioned. “I won’t keep you long.”

;;;;;

“Unnie!” Yoona shouted loud enough for the whole world to hear when she ran down the front steps toward Taeyeon and Changmin who were approaching the mansion. “Where were you?! We were looking all over!”

“Oh…I’m sorry,” Taeyeon apologized. “I had some things on my mind.”

“Did you see Leeteuk along the way? He said he was going to come look for you,” Gyuri told.

“Leeteuk?” Changmin repeated.

Taeyeon turned to glance at him before returning to the others. “We didn’t see him.”

She heard someone heave a loud sigh.

“Oh come on, can’t you guys inform each other about where you’re going? Splitting up into teams to look for each other is a little tiring now.” Junsu complained.

“Sorry,” Taeyeon apologized. “I didn’t think you guys would notice that I was out.”

Junsu heaved another loud, heavy sigh but didn’t say anything.  

“The road doesn’t lead anywhere else. We should have run into him on the way here,” Changmin explained.

“It’s useless to send out a big group, as Junsu points out,” Siwon eyed him then turned to the rest, “who wants to go with me?”

“Oppa,” Yoona said, “I’ll go.”

Siwon nodded then turned to look at both Changmin and Taeyeon.

“I know this area a lot better than you guys,” Changmin told.

“I’ll tag along,” Taeyeon quickly offered.

They turned to look at her as if she should be suspected of something.

“I mean…he did come look for me after all.” Taeyeon told.

“It’s alright, I’ll explain in detail about the area while we head out,” Changmin explained turning to look at Taeyeon then turned away.

Taeyeon stared at his back puzzled. What was with the look he’d just given her? It was as if she shouldn’t have said something. What exactly was up with Changmin?

;;;;;

Leeteuk had diverted from the road and was now headed down a trail. Nothing was different from everywhere else. Very grassy with tall trees lining up each side of the trail. It sort of felt like going on a hiking trip while camping. The wind blew swiftly and very softly like a soft blanket covering him from the real coolness of the night.

Turning his attention to the girl he found her wearing a pure white dress and just looking at it made it seem as if it were glowing during daylight.

“Teukie, do you remember this area?” she asked after stopping.

He first looked at her big brown eyes full of expectations for him. She looked like a small frail girl like someone he had seen before, but he couldn’t recall. Images blinked back and forth in his memory like an unsteady filmstrip.

“Teukie?” she called again.

“Huh?” he asked forgetting about what they were just talking about.

“Do you remember this place?” she asked again. “Look.” She pointed to some far ahead.

Finally following her finger to where she was pointing he saw a large tree with a long thick branch extending out toward a large pond. Fat yellow lilies surrounded the weeds by the blue pond.

“Where’s this?” he asked.

She pressed her lips together as if disappointed by his answer. “You don’t know?”

He turned back to the lone tree standing by the pond. He couldn’t remember? Yes, he couldn’t really remember.

“We rode our bikes here but because I didn’t have one you let me ride with you.” she waited for him to give her some kind of response, but he didn’t. She turned away hurt.

“I’m sorry, I don’t know what you’re saying.”

“You’re…just playing with me…right?” she asked as if pleading for her to tell him that he was.

“I would really like to tell you that I’ve been here with you before…but it might hurt your feelings afterward,” Leeteuk honestly told, “so I don’t want to lie to you.”

“You…really don’t remember?”

Why was it that even when she looked so grown up did she resemble a little girl so much?

 “Do you…know me?” Leeteuk asked after a moment of pause.

“What are you saying?” she questioned.

;;;;;

“Even if the road runs straight ahead like this, this isn’t the only road we have around here,” Changmin explained.

Yoona, Siwon, Changmin, and Taeyeon were huddled into a group by the side of the road. Before they’d split up into teams Changmin was going to explain in detail about the layout of the village beforehand.

“There’s a lot of greenery around here and they hide a lot of the back roads that we use a lot,” Changmin continued, “behind every family of trees, shrubs, or bushes or whatever else you see there is always some type of trail behind it. If you go along with the trail it’ll lead you someplace and you can find your way back by using that same trail. You won’t get lost around here, ever. There’s a lot of trails so remember where you go and don’t forget your way or it’ll take forever to find you.”

Siwon nodded, “Ok. Yoona, you’re coming with me right?”

“Uh…yea.” she nodded.

“Taeyeon, did you bring your phone?” Siwon questioned.

Taeyeon felt her pocket then turned to look at him. “I forgot it.”

Siwon turned to Changmin quickly, “Do you have yours? It’s better to contact each other in case we find Leeteuk before you guys do.”

Changmin nodded and quickly gave it to Siwon.

“Within half an hour if we can’t find him gather here again,” Siwon told. “Seeing that you’ve both disappeared,” he eyed Taeyeon, “without word before, so it’s best to wait at the mansion if we can’t find him.”