Chapter 14

Forever Chingu

Leeteuk stared back at her as if he’d just seen a ghost himself.

“What the heck are you doing sitting in the dark?” Taeyeon questioned meanly. She didn’t care if she sounded rude because he’d scared her first.

“You’re up?” he asked never minding her question.

Taeyeon ignored him and walked toward the fridge opening it to glance inside. Leeteuk watched her closely.

“Are you hungry?” he asked.

“Of course.”

Leeteuk got up from where he was sitting and reached into the fridge taking out some food they’d packed away earlier. Taeyeon watched as he poured the food onto a plate and heated it in a microwave. Leeteuk didn’t look at her and Taeyeon felt like snorting at the way he was acting.

“You feeling better?” he asked keeping his eyes on the microwave. “The food they cooked earlier might not be suitable for your health right now but this is all we have at the moment.”

Taeyeon continued watching without a word. When the beep came from the microwave Leeteuk immediately opened it, put the plate on the table, and reached for some rice from the rice cooker. When he finally sat at the table he turned to look at her.

“What?” he asked.

Taeyeon shrugged and walked over to sit down across from him.

“I’m not used to these kind of gestures,” she answered.

“Why?” he questioned. “Is it weird?”

“I’m not talking about you,” Taeyeon pointed out grabbing a spoon.

“Oh…”

“What are you doing up? Shouldn’t you be asleep like everyone else?”

“I did sleep…for a bit.”

Taeyeon slid a spoonful of the food into .

“But then I found I couldn’t sleep anymore.”

“Why?”

“Anyway…I’m sorry for disappearing earlier,” Leeteuk apologized recalling Yoona’s words to him. He’d come to a short conclusion that it was his fault for causing Taeyeon to get hurt then become sick.

“No one’s asking for your apology,” she stated monotonously.

Leeteuk hesitated before saying, “As expected since I barely know you.”

“What are you talking about?” Taeyeon felt confused.

“Never mind,” Leeteuk said. He didn’t know her, as Siwon had stated, so he didn’t know what to expect from her. “Honestly, I think you’re lifeless sometimes.”

Taeyeon didn’t comment.

“I don’t mean it in a bad way.” Leeteuk restated. “It’s just that I don’t know you, so that’s how I see you.”

Taeyeon smiled as if agreeing with him, “I know that.”

“I think compared to everyone here you’re the most distanced one,” Leeteuk said.

“And what do you want me to do about that?” Taeyeon asked.

“Nothing,” Leeteuk told. “Don’t do anything about it.”

Taeyeon felt strange. Then why was he telling her that in the first place? Why was he talking to her all of a sudden?

“You grew up here?” Taeyeon abruptly changed the subject.

Leeteuk turned to look at her immediately in a different way.

“Why?” Taeyeon asked. “I thought you wanted us to get to know each other.”

He still remained silent.

Taeyeon set her spoon down, “I’ll restructure my sentence. You didn’t grow up here, but you’ve been here as a child, right?”

Leeteuk only continued staring at her with that stiff expression on his face that wouldn’t give away anything he was keeping to himself. He was stubborn, a hard head Taeyeon decided. Her hunger immediately dissipated after he’d begun talking just a few minutes ago and she’d decided that since they were alone now was the time to find out some things she’d become curious about.

“Why aren’t you answering me?”

“Why?” he questioned.

He seemed angry. Maybe not angry, but near angry. It was as if something made him really unhappy. Was it as she had suspected all along? That something had happened between him and Shim Changmin? Leeteuk was hiding something deep in his memories. The picture of their families hanging on the wall in Changmin’s house was still so fresh in her head. There was a story with the three families, Taeyeon just had that feeling. But why was it so difficult to uncover it? Well, it was because none of them were speaking.

“What about my past will tell you about me?” he asked. “Should I ask you about your past too?”

Taeyeon took a breath which sounded more like a gasp. “I asked you first.”

“I take my words back,” he said. “You aren’t lifeless. It’s arrogance.”

Taeyeon just stared back at him.

“Will finding out about your past benefit me in knowing you better?” Leeteuk re-challenged her. “If it does I can tell you what I know of mine.”

Taeyeon frowned at his words. “You’re pretty arrogant too.”

What did he mean with his last sentence? Taeyeon felt a little annoyed that he was only playing with her. All in all they both couldn’t take each other seriously.

“I didn’t ask you that question with bad intentions,” Taeyeon stated, “I am just curious.”

Leeteuk turned away from her gaze.

“Do you know about the shades of grey?” he asked.

Taeyeon immediately found herself frowning deeply. “What?”

“When you find out about it I’ll consider telling you,” Leeteuk said.

Taeyeon watched as he got up and walked out of the kitchen. She stared at his lone back feeling different about him. His back held a difficult story and that made him just as difficult. He had a lot to hide.

;;;;;

Leeteuk paused in the dark hallway turning around toward the kitchen then walked into his room closing the door after him. He’d wanted to be nice and apologize but she didn’t want his apology. Taeyeon…he didn’t get her. The quiet girl who held an essence of innocence but it was just a mask. She was difficult, mysterious, and challenging. Of all things she’d started questioning him about his past, now why is that? Was there some reason why she’d asked? Or had Changmin said something to her? Leeteuk felt dark feelings cloud his mind before he walked over to his bed and lie down as he had been doing just an hour before. And again this time sleep didn’t catch him. Turning onto his side he stared at the lamp next to the bed on the bedside table.

;;;;;

When the morning rays hit the floor Taeyeon found herself sleeping at the kitchen table. Her neck was sore from the way her head had been turned all night. Sitting up she could feel the pain spring up and down her back as if she had been working out all night. Trying not to let out a sound of pain she slowly reached her hand back to softly hit her back trying to comfort herself. Gently gritting her teeth she got up from where she was sitting and pushed back her falling bangs by combing her hand through her hair. Leaving the food on the table she walked down the hall and stopped before the stairs. Standing just at the top was Changmin. A smile slowly lit up his face.

“Morning,” he greeted. “I found your room empty.”

Taeyeon returned his smile, “I found myself sleeping somewhere else.”

“The rain stopped before I knocked out,” he said coming down the stairs and when he finally landed on the step just before her Taeyeon found herself gazing up into his eyes. “Your fever gone?”

She felt like gulping, an intense nervousness suddenly overcoming her. The thought of being carried on his back and recalling the feelings she’d felt while leaning her head on his broad shoulder made her want to blush.

“You ok?” he asked reaching his hand out to touch her forehead.

Taeyeon felt unmovable, frozen to his touch.

“You’ve cooled down some bit,” he commented.

Taeyeon literally felt her heart thud against her rib cage before she moved back and slightly turned placing her hand up to her own forehead with a foolish laugh.

“Uh…yea.” she said.

He laughed in a friendly manner. “Are you hungry? It looks like no one else is up yet.”

It looked like he’d been in the mansion before because he found his way into the kitchen easily. Taeyeon followed him without any question.

“Did you eat last night?” he asked turning to her.

“Yea, I did a little,” she replied.

He walked over to the table and grabbed the spoon taking a bite out of the food. “It’s cold, but it’s still moist.” He seemed to fall into thought before saying with a glow on his face, “I have an idea. I’ll be right back.”

Taeyeon watched as he walked out of the kitchen with the plate. For only that moment it felt as if they were the only ones in the mansion. Taeyeon turned around to look out the glass door before she walked toward it and pushed it aside. Feeling the cold air sweep at her face she stepped out with bare feet feeling the cool platform underneath her feet. Few puddles from yesterday’s rain still remained and she tried her best to avoid stepping in those.

went into awe as she saw what was there. The place was too fancy for her to imagine it being part of a home. It felt like she’d just stepped into a jungle without being aware she’d done so. The flowers, the trees, the tables and chairs, and even the floor itself was too much for her. Turning to her left she could see the dirty swimming pool all filled up with thick floating green weeds and many other items she couldn’t find words for. If someone ever fell in there it’d be hard for that person to find her way back up. Just the sight of how dirty it was sickened Taeyeon. This place was much worse than her home.

Walking on Taeyeon paused to pick up a chair that had fallen down before she heard something moving around in the pool. Did she just hear a fish jump? After setting the chair onto its legs she moved toward the pool before feeling the goosebumps on her arms underneath the sweater she was wearing. The cold air suddenly disappeared before she felt a hand against her back. Toppling forward without warning she felt her face hit the green leaves in the water and finally sunk into the deep 12 foot pool.

Taeyeon tried to fight the water to reach up to its surface to regain some oxygen into her lungs but she couldn’t move even when she swung her arms and legs back and forth. It was as if someone was holding her down…holding her down. Taeyeon tried screaming but only a loud bubble escaped from and she ended up swallowing more water than she could take. She remained in one place but she couldn’t concentrate on that. Her lungs were being rid of the air she needed and what was worse, her mind was panicking on its own. Her hair spread out like a leaf above her head before she felt her strength dissolve. A black image appeared before her eyes and she could even feel herself sweat from fear underneath the water. Taeyeon tried screaming once more when those white eyes stared back at her.

;;;;;

Leeteuk awoke from the restless sleep he’d had that night and sat up. It was the first night of the year that he couldn’t garner. Rubbing the back of his head he got up and opened the door stepping out into the hallway. Walking down the empty hallway feeling the need to go to the bathroom he headed down the hallway toward the bathroom. After washing his hands he glanced into the mirror and fixed his hair up with his hands before stepping back out. With his stomach rumbling he headed into the bigger kitchen to look in the fridge for something to eat. Yawning with a stretch he turned around to see that the glass door was open. Thinking the plain thought that someone had recklessly left it open he walked toward the door to close it but ended up pausing. Was it instinct or a gut feeling that something was wrong? Removing his hand from the handle he stepped off the deck then onto the platform feeling himself step into a puddle. Making a flustered face at what he’d just done he never minded it and walked on searching for…whatever. Glancing from the tall green-green trees he turned to look at the dirty green pool.

There was no wind now. No noise whatsoever. What time was it? He’d forgotten to check the time when he’d woken up. Where was everybody else? Still in bed? Almost turning around to walk back inside he stopped. Instinct or gut feeling? He turned to glance at the pool and allowed his eyes to search around. What was it? Was there something there? From where he was standing he could make out some black strings floating above the green weeds. Black strings? Stepping toward the pool he moved the weeds away from whatever it was with his bare feet to spot a sweater floating overhead. Feeling his heart jump suddenly realizing who was underneath the water he immediately edged his way into the pool to find Taeyeon halfway in the water with her arms floating around helplessly.


***Yay! Majority of this chapter was Leeteuk & Taeyeon xD