Chapter 25

Forever Chingu

“Uh…” Yoona nodded.

With that Taeyeon turned around and made her way down the stairs. When she finally stepped out she glanced at the sun which was barely halfway up in the sky. The horizon was lit with a light orange and pink and yellow color highlighting the trees under it. Taking each step down she looked at the end of the drive suddenly wondering if Changmin was awake.

The birds chirped and the crickets continued crying for each other. Taeyeon would have expected to hear cars and the rush of people heading to work everyday if she didn’t remember she was in a village. It was calm and quiet in the early morning as she had expected. There wasn’t much to change in the village and not much to expect. Animals kept to themselves as well as everyone.

Suddenly walking pass some shrubs Taeyeon paused and backed up to stare at the fat shrubs. She recognized them immediately. Making her way through she remembered that there should be a deep slope. It was on the day that it flooded that she’d slid down and gotten trapped below. Taeyeon stared down the dry grass to see the hard ground below. What was it? The cabin ahead was where Leeteuk had emerged from when he’d seen Changmin trying to help her. What had Leeteuk been doing in the cabin in the first place? Did he know the place?

Curious Taeyeon made her way down feeling the sole of her shoes land against the dry ground with each step she made. The ground beneath her suddenly became flat and she found herself staring ahead at the cabin.

;;;;;

When Leeteuk finally got back up he heard someone moving about in the kitchen. He wasn’t hearing things again, right? Was it really someone in the kitchen? Maybe Taeyeon was possibly up again? Wondering who was up he walked out of his room to find Yoona moving around in the kitchen. When she noticed him she turned with a smile.

“I didn’t wake you up, did I?” she asked.

“No,” he told then looked around. “Why are you up so early?”

“Unnie woke me up this morning so I couldn’t sleep.” Yoona replied before turning back around to flip over the omelet she was making.

“Taeyeon?” he asked raising both of his eyebrows.

Yoona nodded.

“Is she up too?”

“Huh?” she asked whipping around to look at him. “Taeyeon went out for a walk.”

“A walk?” he repeated then said, “Tell everyone else I’m going out, too.”

“W…wait…” Yoona called but Leeteuk had already made his way out.

What was she planning so early in the morning? Curious to know Leeteuk closed the front door behind him.

;;;;;

Taeyeon slowly headed toward the cabin. It was old and the wood was not in good condition. The strength in it was visibly wearing off. There were two side windows on each side and other than that it was not very decorative. Maybe it was used as a shed or something until some few years ago. Pushing the door open Taeyeon met with the emptiness inside. Leaving the door open she stepped inside to glance about. The walls were bare as well as the ground. There was no home decoration. Backing out she closed the door and headed up the slope. However, when she was halfway up she heard the doorknob rattle as if someone were trying to open the door. Pausing in her steps hoping it wasn’t happening again she took another step up so that she was closer to the shrubs where she’d entered. However, she heard the noise again. Feeling her heart race she gulped and rushed the rest of the way up the slope.

When she ran through the shrubs she heard someone scream out of fright. Alarmed, herself, she turned to see Leeteuk staring back at her with a surprised expression. Turning away from him closing her eyes to let out a breath of relief she felt herself drop to sit on the ground.

“What are you doing?” he questioned.

“Nothing,” Taeyeon replied. “You gave me a scare.”

Leeteuk frowned and pointed to himself with his thumb, “Me?” He turned his face sideways and laughed before turning to her, “And just what were you doing? Suddenly running out like that.”

Taeyeon put her hand up to her forehead. “Exploring.”

“Exploring?” Leeteuk knelt down on one leg beside her. “Exploring for what?”

“That cabin down there!” Taeyeon raised her voice pointing to the shrubs.

“What cabin?”

Taeyeon turned to look at him then frowned. “You don’t know?”

Leeteuk shook his head then Taeyeon laughed.

“Oh yes…I remember that you don’t remember.” Taeyeon told. “That was dumb of me.”

“Why?” Leeteuk asked. “Did I do something in that cabin?”

Taeyeon rubbed her forehead again with the palm of her hand and looked at him. “The day it flooded you suddenly emerged from the cabin. I don’t know what you were doing in there, it’s basically empty.”

“Cabin?” Leeteuk repeated turning to look at the shrubs then suddenly got up and made his way through.

“Hey! Hey!” Taeyeon called out.

When Leeteuk didn’t reply she followed him through to find himself staring down at the cabin. His face was scrunched up and his eyes were squinting as if he were in some type of pain.

“What? What’s wrong?” Taeyeon questioned feeling alarmed wondering what she’d do if something were to happen to him.

He didn’t reply but shook his head a few times. Finally turning to her he blinked blankly.

“What?” she asked again.

“Nothing…I’m just seeing a bunch of random images.” he simply replied.

“That’s not nothing,” Taeyeon corrected. “What are you seeing?”

“I don’t know…” he told.

“And what do you mean by that?”

Taeyeon watched him sit down by her feet.

“Just let me sit for a minute. I feel dizzy.” he told.

Taeyeon watched him filled with both anxiety and confusion. She sat down beside him waiting for him to regain his composure. While she waited she stared down at the cabin. There was something about it and she didn’t know if it was a good feeling or a bad feeling or a mix of both.

“What could have been so bad about your childhood that even your mind decided to erase your memories?” Taeyeon wondered aloud. “If it were me I’d pester my parents to tell me, at the least. That way I would feel more human and at least feel that a part of me is alive. Why didn’t you bother your mom to tell you about it? Or maybe it’s because you’re too good of a boy you didn’t want to bother her about it. Is it that you didn’t really care to know about your own childhood? Was it really a boating accident or were you really sick with a high fever which burned off most of your brain cells? What is it?”

“What is it you’re saying? You talk too much I don’t even remember what you’re trying to say,” Leeteuk told rubbing his forehead with the bottom of his palm.

“Exactly,” Taeyeon nodded. “I wasn’t really saying anything.”

Leeteuk took a loud breath.

“So anyhow, why did you come out this morning?” Taeyeon wondered. “I thought you were sleeping.”

“Uh…I just wanted some fresh air.” he lied.

“Ah…really?” she nodded her head. “I wasn’t able to sleep after eating that sandwich.” she quickly turned to him, “You didn’t come out without telling anyone, did you?”

“No…I told Yoona.”

“Yoona?”

“Uh…yea…she was in the kitchen when I got back up.” Leeteuk nodded nervously then turned to look at her. What caught his attention his time was the shiny star necklace she had around her neck. It didn’t look too stylish or pretty so he wondered why she wore it.

“What?” she asked noticing his gaze.

“That necklace,” Leeteuk tilted his chin up gesturing toward the necklace.

“Oh…this?” she asked picking up the star pendant with her fingers gently as if she didn’t want to get it dirty. “It’s a good luck charm.”

“Good luck charm?” repeated Leeteuk.

Taeyeon nodded happily.

“It’s from someone special,” Taeyeon added with a secret smile then turned to look around. “Do you want to head back?”

“Uh…yea…sure.”

While Taeyeon made her way back to the road Leeteuk turned around to glance at the cabin.

When they got back they found everyone around the kitchen table eating the omelets Yoona had worked on in the morning.

“We’ve started breakfast without you guys.” Gyuri announced.

“As long as we get our share,” Leeteuk told sitting down in a relaxed manner.

“Did you two go out for a walk?” questioned Zhoumi.

“Is something on your mind?” Siwon asked turning to Leeteuk. “You seem to be thinking a lot.”

“No,” Leeteuk denied.

“Taeyeon,” Siwon said suddenly turning to her.

Taeyeon stared back at them with the nicely cut up piece of omelet on her fork halfway to .

“Huh?” she asked.

“If Leeteuk is being weird you have to let me know,” Siwon finished.

“Hasn’t he always had problems?” Taeyeon questioned.

“Tsk!” Leeteuk started but then said, “I’m pretty sure you have problems, too.”

“Ooh!” Junsu cooed out loudly until Jang Hyuk slapped his arm.

“What is this? A wrestling ring? Can we just eat with pure humor?” Jang Hyuk asked.

“It was a joke. There’s something called: sarcasm.” Junsu implied.

“You guys take everything too seriously,” Gyuri pointed out.

“Yes, lay back a little,” Seungho added.

After majority of them had finished breakfast and were ready to head out Jang Hyuk questioned, “What do you guys want to do? I mean since we’re all here we might as well do something together. There’s too many of us and it’ll be a nuisance if we have to look for each other all the time.”

“Well, we don’t have to go everywhere together,” Junsu told. “Don’t we all have cell phones at the least?”

“I’m pretty sure so.” Siwon replied.

“That’s a good idea,” Yoona added. “We could all just message each other.”

“I want to go out to the back yard where we first played. Leeteuk’s grandma’s yard is very nice ,” Gyuri told. “Anyone want to tag along?”

“I’ll come,” Zhoumi volunteered.

Jang Hyuk also nodded and followed them out.

“I’m going to go watch TV,” Seungho told.

“I want to go out for a walk, oppa.” Yoona said. “Unnie, do you want to come with us?”

Taeyeon glanced at them before a new curiosity came to her, “No. You two go ahead and enjoy yourselves. I’ll call you if anything pops up.”

“Are you sure?” Yoona pressed on.

“Yea, I’ll be fine.” Taeyeon assured.

“Leeteuk, do you want to come along?” Siwon asked.

Leeteuk, who was standing by the chair he’d been sitting at, shifted his eyes from Taeyeon to Siwon. It seemed like a difficult decision for him.

“What are you thinking about? Just go with them if you need some air,” Taeyeon urged. “I have some exploring I want to do alone.”

Leeteuk eyed her for a second then said, “Ok. I’ll come with you guys.”


***To sumit up: Gyuri, Zhoumi, Jang Hyuk & Junsu have gone outside to the backyard. Yoona, Siwon, and Leeteuk are going for a walk. Seungho and Taeyeon will remain in the house. Remember this well

***I don't usually update on weekends so take this chapter as a special treat ^^