Chapter 24

Forever Chingu

;;;;;

Kang Shin Ae. Kang Shin Ae. Kang Shin Ae. He repeated her name over and over many countless times in his head, however, the name would not pop up in his memory. How could he explain it in words? He didn’t seem to know her or recognize her. How could she recognize him now when he hadn’t been in the village for years? Who was she exactly? Or was she just someone claiming to know him? But then why was it that deep inside he felt like he knew her. Or did he really know her?

There were too many thoughts and questions in his mind. He wasn’t sure of how to put them down and find the answers to them when he knew nothing about himself. Why was his life so complicated? Where could he start in order to find the answers to everything?

He went to sleep in a difficult manner and woke up with a sore body. He woke up even before the sun rose up into the sky. It was silent and cold in the mansion and it was only then that he realized he wasn’t covered in the blanket he had. Sitting up he pressed his knees against the top of his kneecap and rubbed his eyes. Sighing he got up and opened the door to walk into the kitchen but instead heard someone walk down the hall. Curious he stuck his head out and looked down the hall but saw no one. It was as empty and lifeless as an abandoned home.

Leeteuk was about to close the door to his bedroom when he heard someone pace back and forth in the hallway. Wondering who it could be with a frown he stepped out of his room and began his investigation. Because there were no windows it was very dim in the hallways. It felt creepy being alone. It was as if he were the only life soul left. Coming to a pause at the doorway of the antique room he finally considered the thought that it could be an intruder. Why hadn’t he thought of that sooner? Gulping he jumped when he heard a dish drop onto the floor. His heart beat so fast and he turned to glance behind him just in case. He didn’t want to go any further, he had no desire to do so but since he’d started his investigation he might as well find out who was there. Pushing his feet forward he skimmed the walls and the rooms around him. Finally coming to the kitchen he leaned against the wall so that he was out of sight and also to stall for some time to calm down. He was breathing so hard that anyone would think he’d just returned from running the mile. After a second he finally jumped into the doorway to find Taeyeon staring back at him with a butter knife in hand.

She stared at him for so long he wondered if he’d shocked her. “What are you doing?”

Leeteuk straightened himself up while clearing his throat and said, “I was being paranoid.”

“Paranoid?” she repeated.

“Anyway, what are you doing?” he asked. “It’s still so early.”

“Ah…I couldn’t sleep because I was hungry,” she replied coolly as if nothing had been wrong at all. “Is something wrong?”

Leeteuk stared back her finally feeling the effect from being so scared earlier. Making his way to the table silently relieved he sat down and watched her.

“Make me one, too, while you’re at it,” he demanded.

She didn’t reply but kept herself busy with spreading the mayonnaise on the bread and laying out the celery on it. After she’d done and had placed the utensil into the sink she walked over and placed his sandwich before him.

“It’s my style, so if you dislike it then don’t say anything,” Taeyeon told sitting across from him.

Leeteuk glanced at her then picked his up, observed it, then began eating. “It’s good.”

Taeyeon slightly smiled and pushed her hair behind her ears. “So, can I ask you where you were yesterday?”

Leeteuk moved his eyes up to look at her then repositioned himself in his chair so that one of his legs was propped up. Putting an arm around his knee he returned to look at her.

“If you answer my question I’ll tell you,” he told.

“If that’s the case then don’t say that you don’t remember.”

Leeteuk smiled, “Sure.”

“Then go on.”

“What’s your relationship to Changmin?”

Taeyeon felt like laughing but held it back. “We’re simply friends, but if you’re not taking that as an answer I’m not going to give you the answer you want.”

Leeteuk smiled kindly, “A deal is a deal.”

Taeyeon patiently waited.

“Remember, I’ve told you before that I have bad memory? Even if something happened five minutes ago I won’t be able to remember what it is now,” Leeteuk told. “That’s how bad my memory has become since the boating accident, but what’s strange is that I am able to recall the things from yesterday.”

Taeyeon, again, waited patiently.

“It was a grassy field, there was a large pond and a big tree. If you walk farther down you’d be to come across the river you were at yesterday.” Leeteuk replied. “I was taken there.”

Taeyeon felt her eyebrow twitch into a frown.

“You look confused,” Leeteuk stated as if she didn’t know that fact herself.

“What are you talking about?” Taeyeon questioned. “I only asked for an answer, I don’t need you to go on further about it. If we’re done here I'm going to go back to bed.”

As Taeyeon got up Leeteuk called, “Wait.”

Taeyeon stared at the ground instead of looking at him.

“Could you help me with something?” questioned Leeteuk.

Taeyeon turned to look at him, “Why are you asking me?”

“Because I’m not comfortable with asking anyone else.”

Taeyeon remained silent then continued, “What do you want?”

“There’s a girl who claims to know me, but I don’t know her. Or maybe I know her, but I can’t remember. She keeps saying things to me as if should remember them, but I can’t.”

Taeyeon felt her eyebrow go up in amusement, “Then ask her yourself.”

“I did…but she doesn’t want to talk.”

“And what about it?”

“Can you find out who she is? Or maybe where she’s from and how she knows me?” Leeteuk asked.

“This is a weird request,” Taeyeon commented.

“I know it is.” he agreed.

“What’s her name?”

“Kang Shin Ae.”

Taeyeon nodded and pressed on, “But I don’t know how you want me to do this.”

“Changmin…can you ask him?”

Taeyeon turned her head so that he wasn’t fully in her view. “Changmin?”

Leeteuk pressed his lips together while staring at the table cloth. “Yes.”

“You know him?” Taeyeon questioned.

Leeteuk looked at her as if he were giving her a strict warning. “It’s not your business.”

Taeyeon nodded, “I’ll take that as a yes, whatsoever, but don’t you owe me something if I’m doing such a big favor for you?”

“What do you want?”

“Mmm…” Taeyeon thought. “I don’t know. When I think of it I’ll tell you then, ok?”

Leeteuk turned away again and got up from where he was sitting. He was ready to walk out of the kitchen but Taeyeon unexpectedly stopped him.

“What if I find out something bad? Do you still want to know then?” she questioned.

“Tell me whatever you find out. There shouldn’t be anything wrong with that.” he replied without turning around.

Taeyeon smiled then decided to play with him, “You once said that I could be your chingu, correct? How come our relationship changes so fast. We talk like people who don’t get along, but I seem like your secret agent.”

“You talk a lot for one that is so quiet around others,” Leeteuk commented.

“Yes, I agree.”

“And in fact, we don’t dislike each other. I’m pretty sure of that.” Leeteuk told turning around. “We’re bound to get closer, don’t you think, chingu?”

With a smile he headed down the hallway. The sandwich was good. It was better than he had expected. As he made his way back to his bedroom he couldn’t help but think that he was glad Taeyeon was the one he’d found up. Even if she had talked to him like that out of humor he was glad that they’d talked. For some reason he felt as if he could rely on her. She was honest even when he’d talked further about where he had been yesterday she had said she didn’t want to know anymore. She would help him, he knew that for sure.

;;;;;

“Get closer?” Taeyeon repeated as she watched him walk away. “Exactly just how close do you expect us to get?”

Taeyeon scratched the back of her head then made her way back up to her room. After lying down for a few minutes she got up after becoming restless. She need to take a walk to clear her mind. Sitting about like this in the trapped room that reminded her so much of that girl she'd shared a room with while growing up, and thinking that wouldn’t help her. Taeyeon opened the door and stared down the hallway. With much thought she walked down the hallway toward Yoona’s bedroom and knocked on the door.

“Mmm?” Yoona moaned when she opened the door.

Taeyeon stared at Yoona. There had been too many times when she’d seen her looking so wild while sleeping. Her hair was scrunched up into a messy ponytail and her eyes were a mess.

“I’m going to take a walk.” Taeyeon told. “Make sure to tell the others when they wake up.”


***What do you think Taeyeon will find out about Kang Shin Ae? And let me tell you ^^ Taeyeon will find out something she'll want to conceal from Leeteuk