Chapter 19

Forever Chingu

Taeyeon paced back and forth in front of Yoona’s bed. What to do? So many of them were in bed sick. Siwon with lying in bed with a heavy cold and Seungho had a slight fever. Jang Hyuk and Junsu were working on contacting some doctors. Taeyeon had lost track of everyone else.

Yoona’s loud coughs drifted into Taeyeon’s ears.

“Should I get some medicine?” Taeyeon suggested.

“No.” Gyuri quickly replied. “Not unless a doctor permits it we shouldn’t give her any type of medicine.”

“Then what do we do?” Taeyeon asked worried.

“I don’t know. There’s no home treatment for pneumonia, and I don’t know what type of pneumonia she has.” Gyuri replied.

It was frustrating. What could they do to help Yoona? Taeyeon suddenly glanced at the door when an idea she should have thought of earlier finally came to her. Hurrying out the door she bursted down the hallway and down the stairs. In the living room she found Jang Hyuk and Junsu busy on their phones. Leeteuk was no where in sight.

“Have you seen Leeteuk?” Taeyeon questioned.

“Isn’t he upstairs with Siwon?”

Taeyeon ran back up the stairs and toward Siwon’s room. She came to a pause when she found Leeteuk standing in front of Yoona’s bedroom. Leeteuk slowly turned to walk down the hall but stopped when he noticed her.

A few minutes later with Yoona on Jang Hyuk’s back hurrying down the stairs Taeyeon rushed beside Leeteuk toward the van outside. Gyuri followed throwing a blanket over Yoona.

“Hurry, hurry, hurry!” Taeyeon ushered.

Digging the keys out of his pocket Leeteuk unlocked the van and tried to start the engine. No roaring noise of the engine rung in their ears, however. Puzzled expressions came onto their faces.

“What’s going on?” asked Taeyeon.

Leeteuk turned the key again and again but the engine didn’t start. Growing impatient Taeyeon tried to bite her lip to stay patient. Shutting her eyes she opened them again and looked up at the house feeling dizzy. She’d forgotten about her fever. But she’d felt fine the whole day…why was she suddenly feeling oozy now? Half falling against the van she turned to look down the driveway.

“Are you ok?” Jang Hyuk’s voice entered her ears.

Her body felt cold and sore but another idea suddenly came to her. Without replying she suddenly walked forward slowly increasing her pace down the road. Changmin would help her. Slowly reaching her hand up to touch the precious lucky charm necklace he’d given her she hurried toward the home he’d allowed her into. Just the thought of seeing him made her heart race a little.

Halfway toward the house the wind suddenly became rough blowing toward her as if forcing her to head back. The air was freezing. Her body felt numb and it felt as if someone was pinching her all over. Why was this suddenly happening?

;;;;;

“Taeyeon!” Jang Hyuk shouted after her and took a step forward but Yoona’s arm suddenly dropped over his shoulder stopping him.

“I’ll go after her,” Gyuri offered.

Leeteuk, who had turned to see Taeyeon’s disappearing back suddenly stepped out of the car closing the door.

“You two go back inside,” he ordered.

They stared back at him as if they didn’t understand.

“The car’s dead. The wind is cold, we can’t risk getting Yoona even more sick. Go inside both of you.” Leeteuk told with a hard stare before turning around to follow Taeyeon down the road.

The trees waved uninvitingly in the dark looking creepy under the blank sky. It sort of felt like running along an abandoned road in those horror movies he often saw. The full moon glittered in between the leaves on the branches that were busy sticking out under the dark night sky and that was all the light Leeteuk had on the road.

It wasn’t long before he spotting a dark figure wavering unsteadily in the dark. The rough wind passing him by ruffled his hair. Turning his head away to avoid any of the flying dirt he turned around again to see Taeyeon sitting on the ground struggling to get up. Hurrying forward he got behind her setting an arm on her shoulder shocking her. She turned so abruptly he almost felt scared.

“Changmin?” she asked.

Leeteuk could only stare back her unsure of what kind of feelings were flying through him. Relieved that he’d found her or anger at hearing Changmin’s name.

He watched her lips quiver before she said, “I can’t stand.”

It was then that he noticed that the wind had finally stopped blowing. Grabbing her arm throwing it around his neck he slipped his other arm under her legs carrying her up. Taeyeon slumped against him as if she were a rag doll. No words came from her and he couldn’t even hear her breathe.

“Yah! Kim Taeyeon!” he almost shouted. “What’s wrong?!”

Almost panicked he turned around to rush back toward the mansion. He ran so fast that all the trees became a blur to him. When he ran pass the van the front door of the mansion opened.

“What’s wrong?” Junsu asked as if shocked by what he was seeing.

“Get me a blanket!” was all Leeteuk said. “Did you call the doctor, yet!”

“The line isn’t going through,” Jang Hyuk replied following him into the living room. “It says we’ve got no reception here.”

Leeteuk couldn’t reply. Was it the panic or the frustration of the moment that was getting to him? Yoona had pneumonia, Siwon was out cold, and Seungho was diagnosed with a fever. And he didn’t even know what was wrong with Taeyeon.

He lay Taeyeon down on the couch and finally got a good look at her. She looked so lifeless that it was scary.

“What’s wrong with her?” Jang Hyuk questioned. “She was fine earlier.”

Reaching his hand forward he felt her forehead. “She’s burning up.”

“Where was she going?” Jang Hyuk asked.

Leeteuk sat down on the coffee table by the couch with a slight frown on his face.

“The monk…” Jang Hyuk said. “He lives nearby…maybe we could get his help.”

“Don’t go there,” Leeteuk told.

“Why!”

Leeteuk couldn’t say it. Why? Because Taeyeon had been heading there? Because Taeyeon was going to ask Changmin for help?

“Leeteuk,” Jang Hyuk called.

Leeteuk didn’t reply.

“Leeteuk,” he called again. “There are people who could be dying in this house. We can’t get through to the doctors and we can’t wait anymore. Incheon is just a couple hours away, if we could borrow a car…”

“I said no!” Leeteuk shouted rashly.

Jang Hyuk stared at him. “What’s wrong with you? It’s not like your pride is at stake. Even if I don’t know any of them well, their lives are more important right now.”

Leeteuk watched as Jang Hyuk walked pass him and heard the door close. Returning his eyes to Taeyeon he watched her look as if she were sleeping. The necklace around her neck became visible to him for some reason. Where had he seen it before?

;;;;;

It was dark and cloudy. Reaching her hands out to either touch a wall or anything she found only empty space. Where was she? It looked like a dark tunnel. Was she lost somewhere along the way while heading toward Changmin’s? No. Her instinct told her it wasn’t it. Something had happened…someone had pulled her into a strange place.

“Hello?” Taeyeon called out.

Nothing answered her. Not even her echo responded. Taeyeon took another step forward and suddenly slipped. Her hands were wet and her legs were soaked. Looking up she found the reflection of a shadow on the still water. However much as she tried to look up she couldn’t see anyone.

“You all are coming with me…” the voice echoed.

Was it a male…or a female voice? Why couldn’t she make it out? Why did her body feel like clay? Water dropped against the body of water she was lying in giving out a loud echo each time. She couldn’t move.

“Come with me.” the voice whispered in her ears. “I am lonely.”

Taeyeon’s mind spun in confusion. Where was she again? And who was it that was speaking to her?

“No, no.” the voice said. “Don’t worry, I will take you to a place where you can stay happy. Put your head down and come with me.”

What to do? The voice sounded so calming and relaxing. Without thinking twice Taeyeon put her head down below the water and everything became deaf to her ears.

;;;;;

Leeteuk had been adjusting the blanket around Taeyeon when her breathing suddenly became rapid before it stopped. He froze as he watched her.

“Taeyeon?” he called.

Scared he reached his hand toward her nose and found a weak breath come from her.   

“Taeyeon, Kim Taeyeon, Kim Taeyeon,” Leeteuk called again and again. “Stay with me. Do you hear me?”

He shook her gently. The day suddenly felt tiring. He had found her in the pool in the early morning, he had found her screaming later in the afternoon, and now she wasn’t responding. Why? She wouldn’t die…would she?

The monk had said there were spirits in the area. Was this…no. Leeteuk didn’t believe in those things. Shaking his head he again turned to look at her.

The front door opened and Jang Hyuk’s voice entered his ears before footsteps came toward him. Turning around Leeteuk saw the monk follow Jang Hyuk. The monk greeted Leeteuk with a bow.

“Your friend asked to borrow a car,” the monk explained, “but Changmin’s father is using the only one we have right now.”

Leeteuk just stared at him.

“I heard your friends are sick,” the monk said stepping into the room.

It felt as if a wave had passed throughout the room before from behind him Taeyeon began coughing just as she had that morning after he’d given her CPR. Spinning around he watched Taeyeon get onto her side then struggle to get up.

“Save Yoona, save Yoona.” she cried. “Don’t let them take her!”


***Was this chapter strange? Let me know if it didn't make sense