Game Over

And You Thought One Lie Couldn't Hurt

 Chapter Eighteen


..::Yoobin's POV::..


"No, you're adorable..." Taecyeon kissed my nose and we both giggled together like we knew a secret no one else knew.

"No, you're adorable..." I kissed his nose and our laughs grew louder.

"Oh, no oppa, you're adorable!" Wooyoung said in a high voice and kissed Junho on the nose. 

"Oh that's gross Wooyoung!" Junho pushed him away and got up. "Guys, I'm happy for you guys but not in front of Wooyoung..."

"Sorry, sorry..." Taecyeon got out of the booth and went over to the counter of the ice cream shop.

Every since we started dating a month ago, everything seemed...In place. Everything felt natural, my life was the way I wanted it to be. Everybody was happy! When we got back from the island, we started going out together non stop. It's like he's my drug; and I'm his. It's Summer break now, can't believe our sophomore year is over! We're juniors now!

"Awwww, you guys are like the next Jokwon and Sunny!" Tiffany gave me an eye smile and giggled, sitting next to me. 

"It's so hot!" Sooyoung walked into the ice cream shop while fanning herself with her hand. "Thank god there's air conditioning in here! Give him a nice tip Taecyeon, this worker knows what people want." She slurred at Taecyeon who was paying for the ice cream.

"Sooyoung, don't tell me you drank." Changmin pushed up his glasses and sipped his iced coffee.

"I don't support drinking underage thank you!" She took his coffee and chugged it down, wiping when it was all gone. "I'm all up for coffee though."

"Seul Ong!" Junsu climbed onto his back and they both wandered off to go see what flavor ice cream they wanted.

"Where has Jaebum been lately?" Yuri asked and I was thinking the same thing. When we got back from Jeju island, summer break immediately started so it was like partying without stopping. But it wasn't the 21 of us, Jaebum never hung out with us. 

"Hey, have you guys talked to Jay lately?" I asked Junho, Yoona and Changmin. They all stopped and scrunched up their faces trying to think. They shook their heads no and I pouted. What could be so important that he would stop hanging out with us?

"I called him last night but he didn't pick up. Maybe some kind of emergency came up." Jo kwon sipped on his milkshake and made an arrogant face. "Who does he think he is, not picking up my phone call? You know there are people DYING to talk to ME."

"I'm DYING to shut your face up." Seul Ong sat next to Jokwon with Junsu closely attached to him.

"Well, EXCUSE me!" Jokwon ended with his diva finger twirling thing and went back to gulping down his milk shake.

As much I wanted to have fun, it didn't feel right if Jaebum wasn't here. Taecyeon! Who knows him better then Taecyeon? I got up out of my seat and went over to him. He was laughing with...

...Jessica's not here either. I would think that he invited her...

"Hey, Taecyeon, can I talk to you for a second?" I asked and Jin Woon and Taeyeon pushed Taecyeon out of his seat.

"Yeah, what's up?" I dragged him over to the entrance so the others couldn't hear us.

"Do you know what Jaeum's up to these days?" Saying his name felt so unnatural for some reason and I started to scratch my arm nervously. I couldn't meet Taecyeon's eyes and I looked out the window to see people dying of the heat. But when I did look back, Taecyeon looked a bit suspicious...

"...No..." He looked outside this time and ran his hand through his hair slowly. Oh please Taecyeon, you couldn't lie to save your life...

"...Do you know where he is?" I stepped closer to him and he took a big step back with his long legs. "Nope..."

Yeah you do...

"Boo, I'll be sad if you didn't tell me..." I smiled a little and tilted my head, trying to look as pitiful as I possibly could.

"I don't know what you're talking about..." He blinked quickly and looked up. "He's home."

I put my hand on my hip and gave him a 'Do you think I'm stupid?' look. "Are you lying to me?"

Taecyeon isn't the best lair in the world. Scratch that, he just can't lie. He's too nice to lie or even deceive someone. You can tell when he's lying, it's written all over his face. His hands start to move everywhere, he doesn't make eye contact with you. It's almost as if he wants you to know he's lying!

"Yeah, but it's not my fault!" He put up his arms slowly to show he was innocent. "He really is home though...Well, he'll be back home soon."

"...What are you saying? Did he go somewhere?"

"No, he's going back HOME." He emphasized the last word. I hate it when he tries to tell me the secret without directly telling me. 

Then I remembered the place Jaebum called home.

"...Seattle?"

Taecyeon shook his head while winking. I gasped in response and panicked. Why didn't he tell me?!

"When is he coming back?!" Taecyeon winced and put his hands together in front of him. "Don't make me tell you..."

"He's not coming back?!" 

"He said he had some important thing to do! He didn't say he was coming back! God, I don't know!" He kicked the door and I heard the bells ringing. "...His flight leaves at 2PM, you could catch him if you leave now. You know that airport next to our river? Just take a right-"

"Thanks baby!" I kissed him quickly and shot out the door. My feet didn't stop at red lights, they just kept running to find my car. Once I spotted it, I quickly got in and started the car. 50...60...70...The car went faster and faster as my heart started to accelerate too. 

"Stupid Park Jaebum..." What could be so important that you would leave without telling me?!

~

My eyes searched for my best friend, the one I needed to see right now. 1:47...He should be out here right now. Park Jaebum, where are you? There were a lot of business men wearing black and white suits so I wondered why it was so hard to find a guy with tight jeans on with the usual pink shirt on top, maybe he has a beanie thrown on too. 

I started to breathe harder and harder, knowing that's a sign I'll start to cry in frustration soon. 

Then my nose caught something. Something that smelled like...Remembrance?

"Jaebum!" I caught the man's arm and he looked back. It was Jaebum, even with the beanie and the sunglasses on, I knew it was him.

"...Yoobin..." His voice made me remember all the good times that we had, and still should have had. But he's going to be away now.

"Yah, Park Jaebum!" I hit him and cried slowly. "Why didn't you tell me you're going to Seattle?!"

He bit his lower lip and sighed. Even with those sunglasses on, I knew he was crying too. You cry when I cry, right Jay?

"Answer me!" A lot of the people walking by stayed away from us. "Seattle?! Really?"

"...I just needed time to think. Going to Seattle would help me..."

I scoffed and wiped my face of the tears that were rolling down. "But you weren't going to come back?"

He looked up and smiled lightly. "I...Was. Once I sort my feelings out."

"What the hell are you talking about?" I grabbed onto his shirt and gripped tightly. "I thought I was the only one you needed when you needed someone to talk to!" 

"You are." He held onto the hand that was keeping him close to me. "But this isn't something I can talk to you about."

I let out a scream of need. I was desperate to know what was on his mind, what he could possibly be going through to make him like this.

"...Does this have to do with Jessica? Is she forcing you or something?" 

"No, it's personal."

"What could be so personal that you can't even tell me?!"

"You're the only person I couldn't tell..." Jaebum lowered his head and looked up again, giving me a small smile. "When I come back, we can forget this ever happened, okay? It-"

"You're not going anywhere!" I pulled Jaebum close to me, just the way things are supposed to be, close together. "You can't just leave for Seattle...That's like...Across the freaking world!"

"Look, it's 1:54...I have to go." His voice sounded strained and he was desperately trying to leave. "Yoobin, let go!"

"No!" I embraced him tighter and felt my heart drop to my feet. Jaebum never yelled at me, even when I ruined his sand castle he took 5 hours to build. "Aren't we friends...? Shouldn't friends talk to each other and sort things out? Tell me your problems..." 

"You don't need to know about my problems..." 

"You always listened to mine, I WANT TO LISTEN TO YOURS!" My tears soaked his pink shirt and I could feel him breath onto the top of my head. 

"You're just something I have to learn to let go." He whispered but my ears caught it. I slowly let my arms fall to my side and looked up to see his face. With my shaky hands, I slipped his sunglasses off and held them in my hands. "Say that again." 

I knew he couldn't say something like that if he really was looking at me, looking into my eyes.

He shut his eyes and I saw tears sliding down his skin. "You...I have to let you go."

"Jaebum, look at me!" I held onto his hand even though he obviously protested. "Why do you have to let me go?!" 

"Oh, looky here! Taecyeon's girlfriend, getting all friendly with her best friend." The devil her self walked towards us. 

Clack... Don't come near me.

Clack... The anger inside of me boiled and I could feel my heart beating faster.

Clack. The sound stopped right in next to us.

She stood there with her hand on her hips and lips pursing out. "Guess what Jaebum?" She smiled sweetly.

I looked over to him and saw his head turning slowly over to Jessica. 

"Cat got your tongue?" She laughed and fixed her hair. "I'm here to ruin your life."

"You're not doing shi.t as long as I'm here you little-"

"Jessica. Don't say it. I'm leaving anyway."

"Oh, well, I guess that really solves everything." When she smiled, I wonder how her face still keeps intact. She's so plastic, I would think her skin cracks. "Come on Yoobin, say goodbye!"

"Hell. NO." I stood in front of Jaebum and pushed him back. Like a little kid, I held onto his arm as hard as I could and didn't let go. There's no 'letting go' when it comes to you Jay. You can beat me half to death, you can say the meanest thins to me. Wouldn't change how important it is to hold onto you.

"Alright, you got 3 seconds to go Jay." Jaebum panicked at those words and struggled to get his arm out of my grip. 

"1..." 

"Let me go..." Jaebum said in a low voice.

"2..." 

"Let me go!" He looked back to me with red eyes.

"3."

"LET ME GO!"

"Tell her Jay." Jessica walked over and snatched my hand away from Jaebum's arm. "Work on your...Bravery, if you will."

"Tell me what?"

Jaebum turned away and faced the opposite way, Jessica standing next to him and rubbing his back. "Tell her how much you like her."

"Of course Jaebum likes me, why is that a problem?"

"You're so stupid Yoobin, how are you even passing in school?" Jessica held onto Jaebum's trembling back. "He adores you. He couldn't live without you, I don't know what he's thinking going to Seattle!" 

My lips were sealed tightly and my throat felt dry, almost as if I dried swallowed a big pill. My fists unclenched and my fingers fell freely. I blinked a few times and only heard the foot steps of people walking. Some sounded like 'leaving', some sounded like 'arriving'.

"...Stop lying."

"I'm NOT lying. Ask Jaebum his self."

"...Jay-"

"It doesn't matter." He wiped his face and picked up his suit case.

"Jay!" I held onto his hand that gripped onto the suit case and he stopped walking. "...Since when?"

"Since grade school, DUH!" Jessica added on.

And I'm...With Taecyeon. 

So that's why you never wanted to hang out with us...

Did it hurt for you to watch me with him? When you caught me holding your phone at Jeju island, when I told you I'm there to see Taecyeon...How did you feel? How much did you hurt Jay?

"...Are you sad?" My voice cracked my tears fell onto his suit case.

He shook his head hesitantly and his eyes only paid attention to the floor. Jessica scoffed and I knew the answer to my question. "Of course he's sad..." She whispered. Go to hell Jessica.

"Jaebum...Is that why you're going to Seattle? To forget about me?" 

"Wow, you actually got that one." Jessica said.

"Just look at me Jay..." My brain tried to draw a smile on my face but only tears fell onto my face rapidly. "...Stay, I'll break up with Taecyeon."

"No!" He snapped his head up and looked at me. "Don't."

"Then you have to stay. I'll break up with him you don't."

He lifelessly nodded and stood there pitifully.

"But..." My right hand covered my mouth as I sobbed and my left grabbing onto my hair and pulling. "Why didn't you say anything?! Whenever I talked to you about Taecyeon, you seemed fine! I don't need that fake smile!"

"This was some party but I'm going to go now. Ta ta!" Jessica skipped off, knowing her job was done here.

"...Let's just go home." 

He walked back towards the parking lot but I still stood there. Someone come rescue, help me, heal me. 

If Jessica didn't come to tell me...What would have happened? Would you have gone Jay? Is me keeping you here hurting you even more? Go to Seattle if it'll make you feel better. If that'll make you feel better, I'll suffer for you. 

You've been suffering for years because of me. 

And you, Jessica Jung...

I wiped my face with my scarf and took the emergency exit out to get to the parking lot. I ran towards my car and started it, driving off right away. 

To fix a problem, you have to take one step at a time. Start with the main problem, get rid of the others later.

"Jessica..." My foot pressed onto the accelerator harder. "Game's over."

--