Ch. 39- Fireflies

The Raven and the Dove

Sungyeol's POV:

" Sungyeol wake up. We have to get going before it gets really dark." I could hear Myungsoo's voice, but I didn't even have the energy to open up my eyes.

" You have to get up. Come on." I felt him lifting me up, and I had to force my eyes open. I was taking in our surroundings; we were still at the bottom of the hill and there were definitely a lot of trees around us. When I tried to stand up on my legs, a pain shot through my leg. My knee gave up on me, and I was about to fall until Myungsoo grabbed my waist.

" Your knee.....You shouldn't be walking." Myungsoo then kneeled down and I was confused as to what he was doing.

" What are you doing Myungsoo?"

" What else do you think I'm doing? Get on my back. You can't walk on leg if your knee is that badly scratched up. Now come on, we have to get going before it gets too dark to see." Night was really coming down fast, and if we didn't leave at this rate we could get lost in here. Without a choice, I climbed onto his back, and I could feel myself being lifted up.

" Dang you weigh a lot!" I pouted and punched his back continuously.

" Ouch! Ouch! Don't hit me, it hurts! I'm sorry okay! You are light like a feather!" I stopped hitting him and wrapped my arms around his neck. The I laid my head on his neck for a bit, and I could smell vanilla on him. I took in his scent making sure to remember it because I knew this will be only once in a lifetime chance Myungsoo would carry me on his back.

One thing has been eating away at me though. The day when Kris and Myungsoo were in my office, I let myself go too far. I should have listened to Myungsoo's side of the story better instead of slapping him in the face. Though it still felt pretty good when I slapped him, made me feel better after all the pain I went through because of him. On the other hand, Myungsoo was telling the truth, but I wouldn't listen because I believed Kris wouldn't dare do that to me. Yet, I did the same thing to Myungsoo on that same night when he was sleeping.

" Sungyeol." Myungsoo's voice pulled me out of my thoughts as he got my attention.

" Yeah?"

" I'm sorry for ignoring these past few days. Its just.........Well I don't know why I was ignoring you. I guess I was angry because well.....I got slapped by you." I felt guilty because I knew he didn't deserve that slap, but I still enjoyed it because he deserved in some ways too.

" About that....Kris told me that he did want to kiss me. So, I should be the one who is sorry, you didn't deserve to be slapped." You still deserved to be slapped because you put me through so much pain.

" What else did he say?"

" H-Huh?"

" Did Kris say anything to you?"

" No he didn't. Why?"

" It's nothing."

Everything went silent between us after the conversation was dropped. To be honest, I didn't like how the darkness was enveloping us so quickly. Once it's pitch black in the forest, it's impossible to find your way out of here. Even if we were still on the trail, we would still get lost. I wrapped my arms his neck even tighter, but then he told me to loosen up a bit and I did what I was told.

We kept on walking and walking, and I could feel Myungsoo running out of energy, His walking was even slower, and he looked haggared even though I couldn't see him, I could feel it. My eyes were beginning to close too because of tiredness, but I forced myself to stay awake just in case anything happens. Myungsoo was easily getting tired quickly so I made him rest for a few minutes.

" Myungsoo rest for a bit."

" Yeah let's rest." He placed me on a log and he fell to the ground. He was taking in deep breaths trying to get air back in his lungs. We just sat there in silence until he decided to speak up.

" The stars......are out." I looked up to see the night sky full of shining stars. They were twinkling above us and along with the moon, they were our only source of light. I lifted my hand towards the night sky trying to reach for one of the stars but I know it was futile. Maybe I was thinking if I was able to grab one I could make a wish, but you only make wishes on shooting stars.

The stars looked so pretty out here, and this is one of the reasons why I liked coming out here. Here you could see the stars so clearly, but in the city you can't barely see them. That's why I would stay at my office a little bit late that way I could see the stars a bit more clearly. My mom told me that when they pass away, they will become stars and watch over me. Of course myself back then, I cried because I didn't want them to leave me. Right now though, I truly believe they were up there with the stars, and were watching over noona, hyung, and I.

" Let's continue Sungyeol." I nodded and got on his back again.

We started walking again to who knows where. We were both hoping that there would be a sign that the others would be searching for us, unfortunately there was none. Energy was being drained from the both of us as Myungsoo kept on walking. I was starting to feel bad because I knew Myungsoo was getting tired from carrying me, but he wasn't complaining. He was actually quiet the whole time we were looking for our way back. Unconciously, I nuzzled into his back, and it felt.....comforting.

" Sungyeol, do fireflies usually come out at this time?" I lifted my face from his back and answered back.

" What do you mean?"

" Well, there are fireflies flying towards somewhere." Myungsoo looked towards where the fireflies were going towards too, and I remembered something.

" Myungsoo, go follow them!"

" W-What!?"

" Just trust me! Follow them!" I heard him sigh and he began to follow them.

 

Nobody's POV:

 

Myungsoo began to follow the path of the fireflies. He wasn't sure to believe Sungyeol or not, but for now he would just have to believe him. As he kept on following them, more and more fireflies began to appear. Then as more fireflies began to appear, they became a path of light for them. Myungsoo and Sungyeol began to feel reassured from the warm light of the fireflies, and trusted where they were leading them too.

The lights began to get brighter and brighter as they kept on walking. It wasn't blinding instead it was a warm light guiding them through the darkness. Sungyeol was looking around the forest to see so many fireflies in his life, and Myungsoo was amazed the whole time. The both of them took in what was happening as if they weren't believing it one bit. To them the fireflies seemed as if some part of a story book and they were the main characters. Though they were glad the light emitting from the fireflies showed them a path to somewhere.

As they kept on walking the path that was created by the fireflies, they saw something in the distance. They heard water, and that was when Myungsoo ran. He kept on running and running until he got out of the forest. Once they were out, they were both amazed as what they were seeing. In front of them was a lake and fireflies dancing around. The light from the fireflies was reflecting off the water, and you could also see the reflection of the moon. The sight in front of them was entrancing and it was almost like the lake was brought to life. Myungsoo carefully let Sungyeol down, and helped him stay up.

" It's beautiful isn't it Myungsoo?" It was as if Sungyeol was in a spell, and it couldn't be broken.

" Yeah it is. It's truly one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen."

Myungsoo was about to walk closer to the lake until a firefly flew up to him. Then more and more fireflies began to surround them, and it seemed like they were dancing. The fireflies gave off a warm light, and the both of them could feel warmth come to their cheeks. Sungyeol grabbed onto Myungsoo's hand and squeezed it and Myungsoo squeezed back. Myungsoo just didn't feel warmth come to his cheeks, but he could feel it coming through his hand too. Then Sungyeol caught one in his hand and slowly opened his fist. There was a firefly that sat upon his hand, but then flew away.

" My mom was right after all."

" What do you mean Sungyeol?"

" My mom once said to me, that if I ever get lost in the forest that I should follow the path of the fireflies. I never knew she was right."

" Luckily you remembered, huh?"

" Yeah, I am glad I remembered." On Sungyeol's face was a soft and gentle smile as he remembered about his mother. Though that smile broke once a voice interuppted.

" Sungyeol! Myungsoo!" The fireflies disappeared in a instant, and they were replaced by their concerned friends and brothers.

 

Myungsoo's POV:

 

Sungyeol let go of my hand immediately as the others came running to us. Hoya-hyung enveloped Sungyeol into a hug, and Sunggyu-hyung practically was crushing me with his hug. Sungjong was crying, Dongwoo-hyung had tears in his eyes, and Woohyun-hyung was looking away. Sunggyu-hyung was the first to let go of first, and he began bombarding with questions.

" What happened to you guys? Are you guys okay? Are you hurt anywhere? What happened? Myungsoo, are you okay!?"

" Hyung! Calm down! I'm alright, I only have a few scratches here and there, I'm tired, but overall I'm fine. The one we should be worried about is Sungyeol." Hoya-hyung was still holding until Sungyeol, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing- Hoya-hyung was crying.

" D-Don't you e-ever do that a-again! Y-You got it! Hyung was w-worried!"

" I'm sorry hyung. I'm here now, so don't worry, I won't leave you. I promise." Sungyeol was patting his back, he turned to me, and smiled. I smiled back at him, and it took hyung and I to pull Hoya-hyung off.

" Let's get you guys back inside." Woohyun-hyung was leading us back to the villa, and I could feel Sungjong holding onto my hand. I felt him grip onto me tighter, but surprisenly I didn't grip back. I just held onto his hand like I usually do, and we walked back to the villa along with the others.

Once we got back inside, Sungyeol and I were hurried into each our own bathrooms to take showers. The water felt nice against my dirty and sweaty skin, but I didn't regret what just happened. I didn't regret getting sweaty and dirty because I got to see one of the most beautiful things in my life. I never thought that seeing so many fireflies at once could open your eyes to so many things. Also I shared that experience with somebody else, which made it more meaningful.

After I was done with my shower, I up to Sungyeol's room to see him lying on his bed. His leg was elevated with a pillow, and I felt bad because it was my fault that I fell and he came lunging at me. This would be the second time he protected me, and I wasn't able to do anything back when I was twelve years old. At least this time I was some sort of help, but he was the one who got hurt the most. Back then he got a deep cut on his back, which left a scar, and now he got his knee scratched up. Though I didn't want Sungyeol to see me sad and worried so I pulled on a smile. He was reading a book and he was wearing his glasses which I haven't seen for a while. It seemed like he noticed me because he laid his book down, and looked towards my way.

" Do you need something?"

" Nothing. Just waned to see how you were doing. It seems like you are a bit better."

" Yeah. Hoya-hyung gave me some pain relievers for my knee, and Dongwoo-hyung bandaged it up for me. I swear those two need to get together before they are like 80 years old."

" Haha! I totally agree with you." It went silent, and I began to play around with my fingers.

" You are Soo aren't you?" I looked back at him surprised that he remembered.

" H-How did you-?"

" When I was sleeping, memories of a boy who was my age kept running through my mind. I remember him falling, I dove for him, and we tumbled down that same exact hill. Then I remember him getting a cut on his arm, and I remember seeing your scar." He lifted up the sleeve of my t-shirt and smiled.

" I was right. You are Soo. I can't believe that we met when were younger. I guess I must have forgotten about you over the years. Well more like I couldn't remember you because my noona and hyung kept on insisting that I fell down by myself. But deep in my mind, I knew there was another person."

" I see. Yeah, I can't believe that you were Yeol back then."

" And I can't believe you are Soo." We stared at each other and laughed. I could tell Sungyeol was getting sleepy because his eyes were closing on him.

" Go to sleep Sungyeol." He nodded his head, and he fell asleep. I took off his glasses and set them on the nightstand. Then I got up but before I left, I leaned down and kissed his forehead.

" Goodnight, Yeol." I saw smile form on his face, and I couldn't help but chuckle. I shut Sungyeol's door and turned off the light, and waiting for me downstairs was Sungjong holding onto his teddy bear.

" Let's go to sleep Myungsoo-hyung."

" Yeah, let's go to sleep."

I grabbed onto his hand and led us to our bedroom. Sungjong laid down and feel asleep first while he was holding onto the bear. I shut off the light and slipped into the sheets. I was so tired from today, and I fell sleep right away. In my dreams though, the scene of the lake and the fireflies kept on replaying through my head, but I couldn't make out the person's face who was standing next to me. I knew one thing for sure though; the person's hand felt really warm.

 

 

 

 

(A/N: ahhhhhh! I got some many feels from this chapter! I hope you enjoyed it!)