Ch. 29- The Past That Haunts Me

The Raven and the Dove

Sungyeol's POV:

Myungsoo and I were sitting on the couch, and he was waiting for me to say something. Hands fidgeting, my throat felt dry, and I was shaking all over. This would be the second time I have ever told somebody about my past. The first was Kris because I felt I could trust him and he showed me that I could trust him. I didn't know how to start off actually. I was so nervous in saying anything because I was afraid of what would happen afterwards. Would I cry? Would he be disgusted with me? Would he put distance between us? These thoughts went through my mind over and over again.

" Sungyeol."

" H-Huh?"

" It's okay if you don't want to tell me. I can wait a little bit longer." I grasped onto his hand and shook my head.

" No. I will tell you right now." He nodded his head gesturing me to go on. " It happened on my birthday......the day I turned 8 years old."

 

FLASHBACK:

 

" Dad! Mom! Let's go the amusement park today!"

" Haha okay, okay. Hold on for a little bit." Mom was getting her stuff and dad went to start the car. Noona and hyung were no where in sight, and I went to look for them.

" Noona! Hyung!" They were in the dining room and when they saw me they quickly moved stuff off the table and hid it behind their backs. " What are you guys doing?"

" It's nothing Sungyeol! Now how about you go to the car and move along." Noona looked nervous and hyung looked like he was about to say something.

" Aren't you guys coming too?"

" No. We have a surprise for you so scoot along. We will see you, mom , and dad later okay?"

" Okay!"

I waved goodbye to them and headed out the door. Dad and mom were already in the car and I excitedly got into the car. I was bouncing up and down in my seat and my parents kept telling to sit still. We were laughing the whole time in the car and I couldn't be any happier. I told them how I was going to ride all of the big kid rides and that I'm going to win at every game I play! I couldn't wait until I got there that I didn't even dare to blink ( even though I did.)

When we arrived to the parking lot, I got out immediately and I was jumping everywhere. I couldn't hold in my excitement and I took both of my parents' hands and led them to the gates. My mom and I stood together as dad got tickets for us and my eyes widen at the sight of all the rides and games. We got inside and my eyes grew even wider, if that was possible, and immediately I went to the cotton candy stand.

" Sungyeol wait!"

" Dad, I want some cotton candy!"

" Haha, okay son. One cotton candy please." I saw dad give the lady some money and she handed the cotton candy to me. I happily ate some and gave some to mom and dad. They happily ate it too and we made our way to the rides.

FLASHBACK ENDS:

 

I could feel tears b at my eyes but I knew I had to keep going on. Just thinking about this made it so much harder for me than it already was. The happy memories I made before the painful ones that were about to come: I didn't want to think about it. Remembering my parents' happy faces made me want to rip out my heart.

" We were having such a good time. I thought nothing would happen...until.."

" It's okay, I'm here for you."

 

FLASHBACK:

 

" Let's go on that ride together!"

I dragged my parents to the spinning teacup ride. When the ride started, I could already feel myself spinning around. We spun faster and faster and we were all laughing. I could see my dad looking like he was about to get sick and my mom and I were laughing at him. I was disappointed when the ride ended but I was so happy because it was so fun! When dad got off the ride he was walking all weirdly and I laughed at him because he was being all funny.

Then I dragged them to the game booths and I played this shooting game but I couldn't shoot anything! I was getting mad and started to throw a tantrum until my dad walked up to the booth and shot all the targets. I was clapping and my dad got me an owl plush toy. I grabbed it and hugged it death.

" Thank you dad! You are the best!"

" Anything for you son. Now how about we go get something to eat."

I nodded and I held my mom's hand as we walked to the foodcourt. We all got hotdogs and coke to drink. Food always tastes the best at amusement parks and with my parents of course! I ate the last bit of my food and I was bouncing all over the place because I was impatient with how slow they were eating. They were laughing at my childness and they smiled at each other. The way my parents looked at each other made me really, really, really happy! The most happy child on earth with the best parents on earth! When they finally finished I dragged them to more rides and games.

There was this rollarcoaster I wanted to go on but I needed a parent to go on with me.

" Mom go with me on this rollarcoaster!"

" Why not dad?"

" Oh no, I am not going on that ride! I'm still sick from that other ride. You guys go on, I will wait for you here." Mom and I could only laugh at him and we went up towards the ride.

We got onto the ride and I started to feel really nervous. LIke really, really, really nervous! Then I felt somebody's hand over mine and mom was smiling at me. She held onto my hand a little bit tighter as the ride started. It was so fast that both of us were screaming and laughing our heads off. When the ride was over and we got off, my legs felt wobbly. I looked at mom and she was also feeling the same way. We laughed together and walked over to dad.

" So how was the ride?"

" It was scary but awesome! You should have been on the ride with us too dad! Next time we are all going on it together! Noona and hyung too!"

" Haha, okay, okay, now how about we keeping going around alright?"

" Okay!"

We went on some more rides and played more games. Dad got mom a glass rose from a game he won, and I got this white bracelet from a game I won! A game I won! I was so happy and proud that I finally won at a game! I flaunt my bracelet at my parents and they rolled their eyes at me. It didn't matter though because I was so happy!

As we were walking around we noticed that it was getting dark and dad told us that we were heading back to the car. Even though I was a bit disappointed that we were already leaving, they told me they had a surprise waiting for me at home.That made me excited to go back home so I ran to the car.

" How about we have a race to the car?" My dad suggested that, I nodded, and my mom rolled her eyes at us, but she was totally in. We got into our stances and when my dad said go, we all ran to the car as fast as possible. I was holding onto my owl plushi, and I didn't want to drop it because I didn't want to get it dirty. I tried to run as fast as possible but my parents were way ahead of me. Someting stopped my tracks though; I saw a van pass by, the door opened, and I saw two men knock out my parents.

" DAD! MOM!" I ran to them and I tried hitting the men as hard as possible but then I felt something over my mouth and I blanked out.

FLASHBACK ENDS:

 

My head was starting to hurt so badly thinking about it. Speaking it only made it worse and I could feel my tears about to spill. I was trying my best not to cry because I didn't want to cry at this point of the story. I didn't want Myungsoo to see such a weak side of me. I was afraid to face the past again.

" Keep going Sungyeol. When you start crying, I will be here for you." I nodded my head and continued.

 

FLASHBACK:

 

When I woke up, I was lying on the cold ground. My vision was a bit blurry but I could make out two figures next to me. When my vision started to get clearer, the two figures were my mom and dad.

" Mom! Dad! Wake up!" They started to open up their eyes and I sighed in relief. Though that still didn't stop me from feeling scared. I looked around to see that I was in some sort of building, and that there were about four men with us.

" S-Sungyeol." I looked over to see my mom waking up and trying to get closer to me. Then the both of them were finally aware where we were and inched closer to me. I was trembling in fear and my parents could tell. Our hands weren't tied at least and my mom put her arms around me. Then somebody spoke up which made me jump.

" Well, well, well. It seems like all of you are awake." One of the men spoke and he didn't look very nice at all.

" What do you want with us!?" My dad yelled at them and I begged for him not to yell.

" What do I want? I want money. You give me money and I let the three of you go."

" Let go of my wife and son first and then I will give you money."

" Nope. That is not possible." From my perspective, the man talking right now seemed like the leader out of the four of them. Then he left us to go outside and left us with the other three men.

" M-Mom. Will we get out of here?"

" It's okay Sungyeol. We will get out of here."

I was afraid still. The feeling something bad was going to happen never disappeared. My parents and I sat in the middle of the room and it felt like hours until the man came back again. He ignored us and pulled up a chair and sat in there. I felt anger in me that this man was holding us inside here, but was doing nothing. I was about to get up until I felt somebody hold me down. My mom was shaking her head and I could see tears and I didn't move anymore after that.

" Now, I'm going to say this again. Give me the money and we will let you guys go. Easy as that."

" Let my wife and son go first. That is the deal."

The man's face got red and he walked up to us and pulled my dad's collar. Then he dragged him to where he was sitting at and kicked him. My eyes grew wide at what just happened and I was about to run up to my dad but then I felt my mom pulling me down. I started to cry because the man kept on kicking and punching my dad. I wanted to yell for the man to stop but nothing came out. My voice was muffled down by my tears and I felt useless.

He stopped hitting him but my dad laid there not moving. I could see his chest going up and down which meant he was breathing. More hours passed by and I could tell it was already dark outside, and I saw my mom about to break. I gave her a hug and it seemed like she calmed down a bit. My dad was still on the ground by that man and I wanted to go over to him but I was scared. I was so scared that I would end up the same as my dad, so I didn't make a move. I stayed with my mom, and then I could feel my eyes starting to close.

" It's okay. Got to sleep. Mom will be here to protect you." I fought against myself but sleep took over.

 

FLASHBACK ENDS:

 

Tears were starting to fall and I felt like I was about to break all over again. I kept on wiping my tears but then I felt him wiping them away from my face. I cried for a bit and he pulled me into a hug. He was caressing my back and my hands were clutching his shirt. We stayed like that until I could find my voice to keep talking.

" Even though I have said this many times before; I'm still here for you."

" Thank you, Myungsoo."

 

FLASHBACK:

 

I heard a scream and my eyes flew open: my mom was being dragged to where my dad was. I got up but then somebody pushed me down and held me down.

" Now I'm telling you again! Give me the money or else something will happen to your family!"

" Let go of my wife and son and I will give you the money! What do you not understand about that!" The man smirked at my dad and kicked my mom. He punched her and kicked her and then she fell next to my dad.

My dad caught her before she fell onto the ground and held her. The man was laughing at them and I couldn't hold in my anger anymore.

" Let them go! You are hurting them!" The man looked over to me and I felt a shiver go down my spine. He walked over to me, lifted my chin, and smiled at me. He punched my face and kicked me in the stomach. I started to cough when he kicked me and I felt like the air inside me was taken away.

" Be quiet kid. Nobody needs your opinions."

The man walked back to my parents and that was when I saw both my parents attack him. My mom was holding the man down and my dad was starting to punch and kick him. Though when I looked at the other men, they weren't helping him and just standing there. That was when everything inside of me dropped. The man elbowed my mom in the stomach, she stumbled backwards, and one of the men grabbed her. Then the man was fighting my dad and my dad was losing. I could see him losing his balance and then the man punched him right in the face.

Tears were falling from my face and my parents were dragged back to the place they were both. I could feel myself trembling and I tried to say something. Though as I tried, nothing came out, only tears were spilling. They kept on getting beat up by him and I wanted him to stop. I prayed that he would stop and but my prayer was never answered. I closed my eyes because I couldn't take it anymore. I didn't want to see my parents getting beat up and getting hurt. I covered my ears so that I couldn't hear their scream of agony but it didn't help at all.

" STOP IT! YOU ARE HURTING THEM! THEY HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING TO YOU SO STOP IT!"  Out of nowhere I found the air to speak, but when he turned towards me I started to regret what I said. I closed my eyes afraid to meet his menacing eyes, but I could hear his foosteps get closer and closer. I opened my eyes to see him right in front of me.

" Watch your parents die." That was when everything in my life fell at an unimaginable rate. I wanted to scream for my parents to run, to fight back, to do something, but nothing came out of my mouth. Tears were spilling at a rate so fast I couldn't stop them even if I tried. I was so scared but I couldn't do anything. My body wouldn't move and I wasn't able to speak. Then when I saw the men grab onto both my parents that was when I knew everything would disappear.

" Mom! Dad! Please don't do it! Please don't! Please! Mom! Dad! Please don't hurt them! Don't hurt them!

Tears were falling down my face, and I felt like the air was taken out of my lungs. I could see my mom and dad being held back by two men. I could see tears falling down their faces, but they were trying to be strong for me.

" I love you. Be strong okay? We will always be watching over you."

" Don't say that mom! You guys can't leave me! Please I beg of you! Don't hurt them!" More tears fell down my face, and I couldn't see them. I ran over to them but a man held me back. The man made me face my parents but the tears made it impossible for me to see. I heard a gunshot and my eyes grew wide. Then I saw them fall to the ground and I screamed out for them. I kept on screaming but they never stood up, they never uttered out a word to me, and they never breathed. Tears constantly fell and the man came over to me. He was smiling at me and I saw knife in his hand.

" Please don't! Don't! Don't!" The man never heard my pleas and the knife was pressed against the side of my face. I could feel the knife press into my skin and slide down. The pain was excruciating and I screamed loudly. Blood was falling down from my face onto my white bracelet. The once white bracelet now was tainted red bracelet. The pain from the cut was not as excruciating to see my parents on the ground lifeless. Before he can do any more damage, the police barged through the door, and pinned down the men. Somebody came over but before I can say anything, everything went blank.

 

FLASHBACK ENDS

 

I was a sobbing mess at this point. Going through my past once again made me cry so much. Tears were spilling at the thought of my parents lifeless bodies on the ground, how I couldn't save them, and how I was useless. I was crying into his shoulder and making his shirt wet. Then I started to wail because of the pain in my head and in my heart. After a good while, I stopped crying and lifted my head off his shoulder.

" I-I'm sorry, I got your shirt wet."

" That doesn't matter at all." He wiped away the remaining tears and smiled at me. " Sungyeol."

" Hm?"

" Thank you for telling me about your past. I'm sorry about what happened to you and your parents."

" T-Thank you for listening to me, really thank you." I could feel my eyes starting to close and I heard Myungsoo's voice.

" Go to sleep, you need it." I nodded and I closed my eyes.

 

Myungsoo's POV:

 

I lifted Sungyeol off from the couch and brought him into is room. I put him under the covers and tucked him into bed. I brushed off his hair out of his eyes and traced my finger along his scar. Without noticing it, I could feel tears falling down my face.

I'm sorry Sungyeol. I never knew you went through something like this. I never knew you went through so much pain that nobody could ever understand. I promise I will be hear for you no matter what. You can always lean on me, you know that? As your friend, I will be here to protect you.

I took away my hand and leaned closer to him. I closed my eyes and kissed his forehead ever so gently. Then I got up and shut off the lights.

" Goodnight Sungyeol."

 

 

(A/N: OMG THAT WAS ONE LONG CHAPTER! I WON'T BE PROOFREADING IT! omg Sungyeol! I want to cry so badly! B-But I have 93 suscribers so that makes me happy! B-But Sungyeol! T-T)