Chapter 5

Please Love me once again

Chapter 5

The very next evening, Sungmin’s parents are very excited that their son is finally meeting Hyorin and wedding bells will be ringing soon. However, what’s worrying them at this moment is that Sungmin is still nowhere to be found, and it’s another half hour before the guests arrived.

SM’s omma: Sungjin ah...try calling your brother again.

Sungjin: Omma, I tried so many times but his phone is not responding.

SM’s omma: Try Kyuhyun.

Sungjin: Yeoboseyo, Kyuhyun Hyung?

Kyuhyun: Oh..Sungin ah..

Sungjin: Kyuhyun Hyung, are you with my hyung now?

Kyuhyun: Sungmin Hyung? No, I at the dorm whole of today, but I have not seen him yet. Wae?

Sungjin: He is supposed to come home for dinner, but he is not here and I can’t get him.

Kyuhyun: He didn’t come back to the dorm since last night.

Upon hearing that, Sungjin went away to the balcony and whispered to Kyuhyun, afraid that his parents will overhear their conversation.

Sungjin: He didn’t go back to the dorm again?

Kyuhyun: Yes, he is doing it very often now. Lee Teuk and our manager hyung’s is already noticing it, he may get into trouble soon.

Sungjin: What is happening to him? Oh....think my hyung is home. Thanks, Kyuhyun hyung!

Sungjin quickly hang up his phone and went to welcome his brother whom he did not see for months. As soon as he sees Sungmin, he ran up to him and gave him a big hug. However, Sungmin’s reacted to it rather coldly.

Sungmin: Yah! You are already a grown up, why are you still doing this ?

Sungjin: Didn’t we always hug each other?

Sungmin: We were both young than. Where is oppa and omma?

Sungjin: Oppa is in his room and omma is in the kitchen. Omma was so worried you will not turn up.

Sungmin: I really didn’t want to be here.

At this time, the door bell sounded. Sungmin’s omma ran out from the kitchen and his appa came out of his room elated that their guests have finally arrived. Sungmin’s omma was also relived seeing Sungmin already home, if not her husband is going to tear him into pieces. Sungmin most dreaded moment is finally here. He really feels like disappearing on earth now while Sungjin drags him to welcome the visitors.

SM’s omma: Welcome, please come in and have a sit first. Dinner will be ready soon.

Hyorin’s omma: I am sorry that we are coming over to bother you.

SM’s omma: Oh...don’t say that. And is this Hyorin shi?

Hyorin’s omma: Yes, she is my daughter, Hyorin.

Hyorin: eomonim, a-na-ha-seyo.

SM’s omma: Oh, she is such a grown up now. These are my 2 sons, Sungmin and Sungjin.

Even before the introduction, upon entering the house, Hyorin was already able to identify who is Sungmin. Not because he is a celebrity, but because at the age of twelve, Hyorin already wanted to be Sungmin’s wife. At that age, one may not know anything about love at first sight, let alone what true love is. However, to Hyorin, Sungmin is a prince which came to her rescue when she was in a desperate and embarrassed state.

Flash back to the time when Hyorin was Twelve years old and Sungmin 17 years old

At that time, both families are still living in the same neighbourhood. Hyorin was not classified as pretty, she was dark skinned, chubby, always spotted with a pair of black rim thick glass. To make thing worst, a voice was very husky. Not sure is it because of this, Hyorin behaved in a rather tomboyish way as a cover up for her incomplete image as a girl. From young, she tends to have more boys as playmate than girls resulting in jealousy among other girls within the same neighbourhood.

That day, Hyorin was on the way home after school. She was knocked down by 2 girls who are on bicycle on purpose. Hyorin was unhurt but as she tries to balance herself, her glasses drop. Without her glasses, Hyorin is nearly blind. She tried looking for her glasses by feeling with her hands on the ground, all of a sudden, her hand felt something wet and sticky, not knowing what is it, she brought her hands to her nose.

Hyorin: YAKS! It’s dog’s poo! What am I going to do? Where’s my bag, I need the tissue...omo..omo...what am I suppose to do?

At this time, someone tapped on her shoulder and brought her up from the floor.

Sungmin: Are you looking for your glasses?

Hyorin: Ah..yes! Thank you very much!

Hyorin reach out for her glasses but was stopped by Sungmin.

Sungmin: Wait a minute. Your hands are...let me put on the glasses for you.

When her glasses were put on, the first thing she noticed was Sungmin’s smiling at her. His face, his smile, everything about him seems to stop Hyorin’s brain from functioning and she thought her heart was not beating at that time.

Sungmin: Are you ok?

Sungmin was waving his hands side to side to get Hyorin’s attention. But Hyorin’s soul was already blown away. She was brought back after Sungmin shake her shoulders softly.

Sungmin: I have some water in my bag, let’s get this stuff away from your hands first.

As Sungmin help wash her hands, she secretly looks up to Sungmin’s face which is about 1 inch apart from her. She finally finds the courage to speak up.

Hyorin: Thank you, oppa.

Sungmin didn’t say anything but just smile at her.

Sungmin: This will do, but you better disinfect your hands when you are home. Are you ok to go home on your own?

Hyorin: Yes, oppa.

Sungmin: Annyeong!

Sungmin pats her head just like an elder brother before he continues his walk back home.

End of flashback

Hyorin’s omma: Hyorin ah...Hyorin ah...

Hyorin: oh yes, omma?

Hyorin’s omma: What are you thinking about? They are asking you to start dinner.

Hyorin: oh...nothing, omma. I am sorry.

Sungmin was quiet during dinner, he didn’t want to be in this anyway. He just wanted to end it as soon as possible, after they leave, he will find ways to tell his appa to postpone this marriage discussion.

Hyorin’s omma: Times flies, both your sons are grown up and one of them is even a hallyu star.

SM’s appa: He just started, the road is still long for him. Hyorin ah, do you remember when you come over to our house to play, that time you are only 3 years old or so, but you already kept saying you want to marry Sungmin oppa.

Both Sungmin and Hyorin nearly choked on their own food upon hearing that.

Hyorin: I...I...I did say that? I can’t remember.

SM’s appa: Yes, you did. Haha....so from then on, I decided both of you shall get married.

Sungmin: What appa? You decided my marriage based of what she said? What about me?

Sungmin’s omma kick Sungmin’s leg underneath the table to shut his mouth for the time being.

Hyorin’s omma: Actually, I am very thankful for taking care of me and Hyorin all these years. When we shifted out from the village, you even help us buy an apartment near you..

SM’s appa: I owe it to your husband a lot, without his help that time, our whole family will not be where we are today. It’s a pity, he died in that accident.

Hyorin’s omma: It’s an accident and I can't blame anyone for it.

SM’s omma: Come on, we are here today for a happy occasion. Look at our children, they have stopped eating because of the atmosphere now.

Hyorin’s omma: Oh yes, I shouldn’t have bring it up. Sungmin, seeing you in real life now, you are much more handsome boy compare to on TV. Hyorin is so lucky to marry you.

Sungmin again chocked on his own food.

Hyorin who was sitting opposite him immediately got up to fetch a napkin for him.

Sungmin: Err... I think...I am not ready for....

Before Sungmin could continue, he was interrupted by his appa.

SM’s appa: Hyorin, letting you be Sungmin’s wife it’s going to be tough on you. You know because of his status, he is not able to have a normal live as per other couple, hope you can accept that.

Hyorin: I am aware and am willing to overcome that with him.

“What? Overcome with me? Did she even think I will marry her?” Sungmin thought to himself giving a smirk after hearing Hyorin’s comments.

Hyorin: I am a trainee with XXX company. So I know how tough celebrities lives are.

Sungmin: What? So are you debuting as well?

Hyorin: Company has make plans for me, but because we are getting married soon, so I have turned down the offer.

SM’s appa: Oh no...you don’t have to turn down the offer, by getting married, you can still pursue will own career. We are not some old fashion parents.

Hyorin’s omma: This silly daughter of my, says she wants to be fully devoted to her family once she is married.

The dinner went on with lots of laughter and also some discussion about the couple wedding plans. The only person who wished he is out of the whole scene is Sungmin. As their parents got more engrossed with the discussion, he really wanted to walk out of the house.

Sungmin was tasked to bring Hyorin out for a spin while her omma continue to catch up old times with Sungmin’s parents.

In Sungmin’s car

Sungmin: I have another appointment, so I will send you home.

Hyorin: Oh, you don’t have to since you have another appointment. Just drop me off the next nearest subway and I will head home by myself.

Sungmin: Alright, if you say so.

Hyorin: Oppa, I have shortlisted a few bridal shops, when do you have some time to spare?

Sungmin drives to the side of the road where he stopped his car so as to talk to Hyorin.

Sungmin: Look, we should end our meeting after today.

Hyorin: Oppa, what do you mean?

Sungmin: I have no intention to get marry now. Even if I have, it’s definitely not going to be you.

Hyorin: Oppa, but our parents already...

Sungmin: That’s our parents’ decision, not ours. Don’t you have a mind on your own, you are only 18 years old and you are satisfied to get married now? Don’t you have dreams?

Hyorin: I am a simple girl. I only live with one dream till now, that is to be the wife of Lee Sungmin.

Sungmin: What?