Chapter 7

Remember Me?

We walked through the streets of Seoul and once again I noticed that we never seemed to be in crowded places. This sparked my curiosity and I asked,

“Chanyeol- shi, why are we always in the back streets of Seoul and never actually on the main road?” I looked at him. He was obviously shocked by the question and struggling to come up with the right answer. After a few seconds of thinking, he turned and looked at. I noticed then that his eyes were really beautiful. They were big eyes that made anyone immediately trust him. He began talking and looked forward.

“I don’t like crowded places. They are really noisy and busy. No one stops to simply enjoy the small things in life in crowded places. It’s always run to work, run to school, run to an interview. This and that. I just think that the less crowded places let us enjoy the walk. Like, we couldn’t have this type of conversation in a crowded street of people. Do you understand what I’m saying?” He turned to me once again with hope in his eyes. Hope that I understood what he was saying.

“Yeah I do. That’s true.” Suddenly an idea popped into my head.

“Hey. Instead of showing me around Seoul want to help me find a place. The scenery around is gorgeous and I have been searching for that place but, as you know I have no idea at all where I am going in this city. Want to go?” He agreed to help and I pulled out a picture I had in my back pocket. It was a house. Not a big one. Not a luxurious one. Not really a house either. It was a rooftop home. I remember staying there with my mom last time I was in Seoul. I was hoping that I could find that place again and that no one was living their already.

“Do you have any idea where this might be? Like a general area?”

“If we go back to the internet café, I can lead us to the general area but I don’t know from there. Let’s go back to the café. Lead the way.” I said gesturing for him to take the lead. He smiled angelically and walked in front of me. I followed for a bit. Soon however, I don’t know if I sped up or he slowed down but we were walking side by side and talking. “So, where are you from?” he questioned.

“England. I was born in Korea but I left to England as girl. My mom was born there so I have lived there most of my life. I came back to visit once but other than that, I haven’t been in Korea for that long.”

“Your Korean is very good. You sound like a native speaker. I never would have known you weren’t from here if you hadn’t looked so lost.” I blushed and quickly turned my head away from him.

“Thanks. Oh. Here we are.” We were standing in remote area of Seoul full of houses side by side.

“So where do we go from here?” I asked and he looked at the picture again.

“I have no idea. But, I think I just thought of something. Might be crazy but lets try it.” He replied with a smile.

“What” I asked in anticipation. He walked away and walked up to a random person.

“Hello. Do you know where this might be/” he asked and I scoffed and laughed. I ran up to him and listened as the man pointed us in the right direction.

“Great idea. I could have never thought of that one on my own.” I said playfully.

“So glad I could help.” He replied with a little bow and we both broke out laughing. We continued to walked down the street asking for directions. Finally we  made it to my street. We stood at the beginning and I looked down, memories flashing before my eyes. I walked slowly up, remembering all the small little details. Then I stopped in front of one gate. My gate. Chanyeol-shi looked over at me and asked,

“Is this it?”

I nodded, tears in my eyes.    

Why is she so sad standing in front of this house?