Chapter 13

Remember Me?

Hye Mi was quiet while we walked down the hallway to the elevators. She was quiet while we waited for the elevator to come. She was quite when we stepped onto the elevator. The elevator doors closed and opened,

“Why would you say yes. I get that he is your friend or acquaintance or whatever but you barely know the guy. Now we have to go back and deal with that bunch of arrogant guys and don’t forget that in Korea they are famous. They might not be to you and me but to the rest of the country they are. All we’ll here the entire time we’re out is fangirls. They’ll be doing autographs and pictures and who knows what else and we’ll be there to see and enjoy all that. What a privilege.” She was almost yelling but she stopped for a bit and just turned away from me. She did say before that she didn’t want to go but… it was all that stupid jerk’s fault. I wasn’t thinking after he kept bothering me and I wanted to bother him too.

“Hye Mi-ah I’m sorry. Hye Mi-ah. Hye Mi-ahh” I looked at her apologetically and after a few seconds she smiled. The elevator doors opened and we stepped off. I was smiling but then I realized what I was going to do. I turned to her and looked.

“Hye Mi-ah. I have some stuff to take care of here. It’ll be boring waiting with me. I don’t know how long it will take and…” She caught my drift that I’d rather be alone and she nodded.

“Yeah that’s no problem. I’ll meet you back up here soon. I’ll just go wait in the lobby or something. Maybe I’ll roam the building. See someone else who’s famous. Let me know when to come back. Just text me.” She started turning to walk away but then I realized that I had no cell phone and didn’t have her number.

“One second Hye Mi-ah.” I asked for a pen from reception and had her write her number down for me. “I don’t have a phone but I’ll call from reception. If not I’ll come down and find you and we can go back together. Okay?” She nodded and left for the elevator. I watched her wave bye from inside the elevator and I waved back. After she was gone I went to reception and thanked her for the pen.
”Sorry, I was here yesterday but… something came up. Is the director in by any chance? This is important.” I waited as the receptionist first called the director to see if he was there.
”Yes. I understand. Bye” She put the phone down and looked at me.

“Yes, the director is in but he is with someone right now. If you could just wait a bit.” She said and I went and sat down. That was weird. She didn’t ask if I had an appointment or anything. I waited and watched the clock. I was anxious. This could be when I finally saw my dad again. After so many years. I could ask him all the questions I wanted to ask him all these years. Anticipation fused with nervousness made minutes feel like eternity. I was obviously fidgeting, playing with my hair and tapping my foot. I realized I must have looked like a freak so I just stopped. No one else was waiting and no one else came into the office either. I few people left as the time started approaching twelve thirty.

The receptionist’s phone rang and she looked over at me.

“Yes sir. Yes. I understand.” She looked at me and pointed towards the office. She mouthed “Go” and I started walking.

“Yes sir I just sent her in. Okay, goodbye sir.” I slowly made my way down the hallway till the office. There at the end was the door. I stopped outside to calm myself. I raised my hand and knocked on the door. Then I just waited.

 

What will Kari do when she finally meets Lee Soo Man?