Chapter 19

Remember Me?

After some thought and a whole lot of explaining the meal ended with two things clear: one, my name was Lee Ka Eul nicknamed Kari and two, I would be working along with Hye Mi as the secretary and events manager for EXO. We paid and after some formalities left the restaurant. The members of EXO went off to practice their singing and we went to talk to Lee Soo Man- shi once again. I had to confirm with him that Hye Mi working with me was okay. I bowed to the receptionist and asked in Soo Man-shi was in. She nodded and told me to go in. I had just gotten this job and I was already asking for something. I approached the office once again and knocked. I went in, motioning for Hye Mi to follow, and though surprised, Lee Soo Man-shi told us to sit down.

“It’s great that you came in. I have to get your ID made. That way you can get in and out of the building hassle free. Is there something you want to say?” he looked at me and then at Hye Mi. She nodded her head down quickly in some semblance of a bow. He did the same with a questioning look in his eyes.

“Director, I have a favor to ask. I realize that I have just been hired and it’s a great honor but in the past wherever I have worked, I have worked with this girl. She has great organizational skills and knows how to keep people controlled. I was hoping that I might be able to work with her. She and I work as a team and I feel that working with her, I could be more of an asset to this company.” He appeared to be troubled but luckily he didn’t say no immediately. I looked at him with such hope and even a hint of desperation that his expression changed. He seemed to process the information and after some more consideration, he looked at Hye Mi. After asking her a few questions that she answered confidently, he smiled.

“I will allow you to work together. But know that the salary will remain the same and be given in one check. How you will split the money is your business. Also, this arrangement will be a trial. If I don’t feel as though it is working out one of you will have to go. Understood?” we nodded furiously and he continued… “Good.  If you agree to those conditions, then lets get your ID cards made.” We followed him and our ID cards had been made. This had gone better than expected. Few hours later everything seemed set. We were sitting in my room planning.

“So…” Hye Mi said, helping me unpack, “what’s the plan for tomorrow. What exactly are we suppose to do as their secretaries?” I shrugged and replied

“The director told us to meet him tomorrow morning. He’ll probably tell us then right? I don’t know. This was a crazy idea from the start. I should have just told him from the beginning.” I fell onto my bed, defeated and angry at myself for what I had done.

“It’s okay. What’s done is done. Now let’s focus on one making money and not having this be temporary and two on figuring out whether or not that man is your father. Okay?” she was talking to me as if I was a child throwing a temper tantrum and I nodded. I smiled and she turned around to continue unpacking. While outside I was smiling inside I was full of anxiety. What would this job be like? Would I find out if the director was my father? And more importantly, could I put up with Kai?